RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   1/3 Stearman / Valach 250 radial build . (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=573699)

RAMJET 12-20-2018 11:08 AM

1/3 Stearman / Valach 250 radial build .

10 Attachment(s)
Having gone as far as I can with my 2 spitfires without paint (to cold to paint now) I figured why not start another LOL.. ..

Here are a few shots of the almost complete upper wing , ailerons are upgraded to the scale pocket hinges .

RAMJET 12-20-2018 02:39 PM

Re: 1/3 Stearman / Valach 250 radial build .

14 Attachment(s)
Here is a few shots of how I make the rounded leading edge for the ailerons when doing pocket hinges

I start by marking out with my caliper the radius on the end of the aileron then sand by hand 10" of the end of one aileron . Next after you are happy with the shape you put some 40 grit sand paper on the contoured area and use the aileron as a sanding block to sand a piece of blue foam into the required shape . once done put some adhesive backed 40 grit paper in your new foam sanding block and use the block to shape all your ailerons . this will make short work of sanding the ailerons and they will all come out exactly the same . this process can also be used for doing leading edges of the wing or anywhere you need to do repeated uniform shapes ..

The calipers are very cool I have been building with them for 35 years and never noticed they are marked R,C,A,F ..They must have belonged to my Mother . Her first husband was A flight engineer and shot down with a Canadian crew over France in a Halifax bomber .

hitechflyer 12-20-2018 03:03 PM

Nice thing about the Stearman is no cowl to hide that motor, and makes for easy adjustments.
:yeah:

RAMJET 12-20-2018 03:24 PM

Hank , just ordered the fiberglass kit that includes the cowl LOL.. may not use it , will have to see if I like it when it get's that far .. Added a little video of the motor I have coming .. can't wait ..

https://toni-clark-shop.com/Valach-M...-radial-engine

RAMJET 12-21-2018 07:05 AM

10 Attachment(s)
few pictures of the lower wing ,just about have that wrapped up .next will be moving on to the fuse ..

grosbeak 12-21-2018 09:22 AM

Roger, another big Stearman thread... awesome. I'll be watching closely!

As it happens the neighbours who used to live across the street - he was a navigator on Halifaxes, and his wife was an English war bride. Wonderful people who have since passed on.

RAMJET 12-21-2018 10:39 AM

Lost my mom a couple of years ago at 93 , I remember her telling me all the old war stories . Hard to believe it was real what they went through..

Figured I might as well do my Stearman build on RCCanada as the other site seems to be covered ..

Not sure what color scheme to go with , I like yellow in the sky , if anyone can think of a nice scheme please post it for consideration . cheers .

RAMJET 12-24-2018 12:54 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Hinged the ailerons on all four wings. with pocket hinges the center of the hinge needs to be in the center of rounded leading edge of the aileron . I make a tool for measuring the depth of the hinge while installing so all hinge joints line up .I also make up a bevel tool for countersinking the hinge in the leading edge of the wing out of a piece of scrap dowel ..

RAMJET 12-24-2018 12:59 PM

6 Attachment(s)
also got a start on the fuse .

RAMJET 12-24-2018 01:03 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Santa did come . He showed up with all the missing tail from Balsa USA , and also the fiberglass kit from fiberglass specialties ..