RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   1/3 Stearman / Valach 250 radial build . (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=573699)

RAMJET 01-01-2019 01:07 AM

Re: 1/3 Stearman / Valach 250 radial build .

Come to think of it I don't remember doing some of that work , I always figured my memory was bad LOL. Waiting for the engine is killing me ,I've always wanted a 250 radial and have looked at the MOKI a million times . I know they run great but could not get past those open rockers and rough cast heads , just too crude for me for such an expensive engine .. I always said if Valach ever made one I would buy it ,sure enough they just came out with this one and it's everything I was looking for . Billet machined heads with Honda valve train. fully enclosed rockers and push rods . comes with it's own fuel pump . And it seem from the specs to out turn the moki, max prop is 36x14 .. It's break-in prop is max for a Moki .

AJCoholic 01-01-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAMJET (Post 3672595)
Come to think of it I don't remember doing some of that work , I always figured my memory was bad LOL. Waiting for the engine is killing me ,I've always wanted a 250 radial and have looked at the MOKI a million times . I know they run great but could not get past those open rockers and rough cast heads , just too crude for me for such an expensive engine .. I always said if Valach ever made one I would buy it ,sure enough they just came out with this one and it's everything I was looking for . Billet machined heads with Honda valve train. fully enclosed rockers and push rods . comes with it's own fuel pump . And it seem from the specs to out turn the moki, max prop is 36x14 .. It's break-in prop is max for a Moki .

Sweet. 250cc... I still remember when I thought .61’s were a big engine, lol. I was flying .40’s and figured I’d never go bigger. A few years later I had a .91 - a few after that my first 50cc. Remember when I saw a DA150 for the first time, never thought I’d ever have anything that big... now I do, and the voice in my head says woah, that big enough.

But, 250cc is just HUGE. Looking forward to seeing the engine.

HAL9KPCM 01-01-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJCoholic (Post 3672791)
..............But, 250cc is just HUGE. Looking forward to seeing the engine.

My first dirt bike was 75cc LOL.

RAMJET 01-01-2019 07:49 PM

We'll have to get together and fly sometime Andrew ,1/2 A , 250cc gas , it's all good LOL. I live in a bleak flying area too ..

RAMJET 01-01-2019 10:32 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Did the stringers today , what a tedious job getting them all to sit straight .. . finished up the horizontal stab fairings , cut out the vertical stab fairing and mounted the tail wheel fairing..

Also had to replace the tail wheel assembly as it with one the wrong size ..

Mendes 01-02-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAMJET (Post 3672833)
Did the stringers today , what a tedious job getting them all to sit straight .. . finished up the horizontal stab fairings , cut out the vertical stab fairing and mounted the tail wheel fairing..

Also had to replace the tail wheel assembly as someone had taken the supplied one and replaced it with one the wrong size ..

Really nice work! Can't wait to see the engine mounted on this beast.

RAMJET 01-02-2019 11:57 AM

Thanks Richard ,the wait for the motor is killing me too LOL.

RAMJET 01-07-2019 11:11 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Finished up the tail feathers by doing the pocket hinges , I think they look a little better on a scale bird then the beveled hinge . Also started to install the motor box , cant go too far in this area until the engine arrives . built the landing gear as supplied by the kit . This was the older kit that does not include the sierra gear . I've upgraded the gear with a inside sleeve to prevent them from bending on a hard landing and I also modded the oleo mount so the toe can be adjusted . not decided if I will use these or purchase the sierra gear .Sierra gear costing close to $600 eeeek .I put a toonie on the tire to give an Idea of how big this plane is .

RAMJET 01-09-2019 12:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
putting a order in for the number plates , the decals look like aluminum so I will stick them to lithoplate and screw them in place

RAMJET 01-09-2019 12:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
also painted and installed the landing gear , with the gear and wheels on you have to take the upper wing section off to fit it on the table . Just massive ..I am a little torn with what to do with the boot cowl , the one from F.S. is epoxy glass and is a nice solid piece to work with ,problem is it does not fit well . the factory one from Balsa USA fits like a glove but is very soft . thinking I may just have to make my own from the balsa USA one ..