RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Giant Scale Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   1/3 Stearman / Valach 250 radial build . (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=573699)

RAMJET 12-20-2018 10:08 AM

1/3 Stearman / Valach 250 radial build .

10 Attachment(s)
Having gone as far as I can with my 2 spitfires without paint (to cold to paint now) I figured why not start another LOL.. ..

Here are a few shots of the almost complete upper wing , ailerons are upgraded to the scale pocket hinges .

RAMJET 12-20-2018 01:39 PM

Re: 1/3 Stearman / Valach 250 radial build .

14 Attachment(s)
Here is a few shots of how I make the rounded leading edge for the ailerons when doing pocket hinges

I start by marking out with my caliper the radius on the end of the aileron then sand by hand 10" of the end of one aileron . Next after you are happy with the shape you put some 40 grit sand paper on the contoured area and use the aileron as a sanding block to sand a piece of blue foam into the required shape . once done put some adhesive backed 40 grit paper in your new foam sanding block and use the block to shape all your ailerons . this will make short work of sanding the ailerons and they will all come out exactly the same . this process can also be used for doing leading edges of the wing or anywhere you need to do repeated uniform shapes ..

The calipers are very cool I have been building with them for 35 years and never noticed they are marked R,C,A,F ..They must have belonged to my Mother . Her first husband was A flight engineer and shot down with a Canadian crew over France in a Halifax bomber .

hitechflyer 12-20-2018 02:03 PM

Nice thing about the Stearman is no cowl to hide that motor, and makes for easy adjustments.
:yeah:

RAMJET 12-20-2018 02:24 PM

Hank , just ordered the fiberglass kit that includes the cowl LOL.. may not use it , will have to see if I like it when it get's that far .. Added a little video of the motor I have coming .. can't wait ..

https://toni-clark-shop.com/Valach-M...-radial-engine

RAMJET 12-21-2018 06:05 AM

10 Attachment(s)
few pictures of the lower wing ,just about have that wrapped up .next will be moving on to the fuse ..

grosbeak 12-21-2018 08:22 AM

Roger, another big Stearman thread... awesome. I'll be watching closely!

As it happens the neighbours who used to live across the street - he was a navigator on Halifaxes, and his wife was an English war bride. Wonderful people who have since passed on.

RAMJET 12-21-2018 09:39 AM

Lost my mom a couple of years ago at 93 , I remember her telling me all the old war stories . Hard to believe it was real what they went through..

Figured I might as well do my Stearman build on RCCanada as the other site seems to be covered ..

Not sure what color scheme to go with , I like yellow in the sky , if anyone can think of a nice scheme please post it for consideration . cheers .

RAMJET 12-24-2018 11:54 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Hinged the ailerons on all four wings. with pocket hinges the center of the hinge needs to be in the center of rounded leading edge of the aileron . I make a tool for measuring the depth of the hinge while installing so all hinge joints line up .I also make up a bevel tool for countersinking the hinge in the leading edge of the wing out of a piece of scrap dowel ..

RAMJET 12-24-2018 11:59 AM

6 Attachment(s)
also got a start on the fuse .

RAMJET 12-24-2018 12:03 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Santa did come . He showed up with all the missing tail from Balsa USA , and also the fiberglass kit from fiberglass specialties ..

Frank Klenk 12-24-2018 12:32 PM

So there is a Santa!

RAMJET 12-24-2018 09:29 PM

shortly after coming back from the post office I heard the DHL truck beeping as it was backing up, I thought to myself could it be my Valach 250, here already . Nope it was just a new sim card for my phone LOL . Oh well 2 out of three in one day is pretty good ..

Mendes 12-25-2018 04:58 AM

Looking great so far!

RAMJET 12-26-2018 08:50 PM

20 Attachment(s)
did a bit more work on the fuse. mounted the rudder servo tray , mounted the tail wheel . mounted the upper wing struts mounts . many of these parts are way under engineered ,I may have gone a little over kill but I plan on throwing this bird around a bit and don't want that big radial tearing it apart . I don't think a few extra oz is going to hurt a big bird like this ..the tail wheel had that mickey mouse plastic horn ,on a 50 plus pound plane that is asking for trouble so I made a metal one , they also supplied some mickey mouse bell crank system for the rudder , I just used the more current miracle bell crank system ..

RAMJET 12-26-2018 09:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
mounted the upper wing center section , this is quite the job as a temp cradle must be made ,everything must be measured and cut and shaped to fit . once the center section is located you must cut to length and grind the proper angle on all the supports . the wires have to be cut to length and soldered .

RAMJET 12-26-2018 09:17 PM

6 Attachment(s)
like any good builder you must try to fit the parts together as soon as possible to give yourself that WOW moment , and WOW is this thing huge LOL . I did not follow the instructions in many areas , they wanted the sheeting and the stringers put in place before you mounted the wings ???. none of this makes any sense and you would have no access to critical areas of the plane and would have to strip things apart to bolt thing together or adjust brackets

RAMJET 12-28-2018 09:33 PM

8 Attachment(s)
And a little more building , the new tail feathers came in from Balsa usa so they were framed them up today . The Valach has now landed in Canada , hopefully it's not trapped in post office for weeks LOL. the wait is killing me ..

RAMJET 12-30-2018 11:54 PM

20 Attachment(s)
Ok so I built some more servo hatch doors and frames to mount them in the elevators . I do so many builds that I make up a dozen at a time to keep some on hand .. ..

RAMJET 12-31-2018 12:12 AM

14 Attachment(s)
next I moved on to the elevator and rudder stabilizer mounting . The kit calls for them to be glued in place , on such a large model I think it a better Idea to have them removable . 2x1/4" dowels in the front and one 3/16" locating dowel in the rear . the mounting bolts come up through the bottom . I installed pieces of carbon arrow tube to guide the bolts for installation.. The vertical stab is glued to the horizontal so it will come off in one piece . the tail wheel pull pull setup was installed and I started to mount the fairing for the tail wheel ..

AJCoholic 12-31-2018 03:34 PM

Are you sure you dont have several elves helping you? My God man, thats quick.

Iím interested to see the engine!

RAMJET 01-01-2019 01:07 AM

Come to think of it I don't remember doing some of that work , I always figured my memory was bad LOL. Waiting for the engine is killing me ,I've always wanted a 250 radial and have looked at the MOKI a million times . I know they run great but could not get past those open rockers and rough cast heads , just too crude for me for such an expensive engine .. I always said if Valach ever made one I would buy it ,sure enough they just came out with this one and it's everything I was looking for . Billet machined heads with Honda valve train. fully enclosed rockers and push rods . comes with it's own fuel pump . And it seem from the specs to out turn the moki, max prop is 36x14 .. It's break-in prop is max for a Moki .

AJCoholic 01-01-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAMJET (Post 3672595)
Come to think of it I don't remember doing some of that work , I always figured my memory was bad LOL. Waiting for the engine is killing me ,I've always wanted a 250 radial and have looked at the MOKI a million times . I know they run great but could not get past those open rockers and rough cast heads , just too crude for me for such an expensive engine .. I always said if Valach ever made one I would buy it ,sure enough they just came out with this one and it's everything I was looking for . Billet machined heads with Honda valve train. fully enclosed rockers and push rods . comes with it's own fuel pump . And it seem from the specs to out turn the moki, max prop is 36x14 .. It's break-in prop is max for a Moki .

Sweet. 250cc... I still remember when I thought .61’s were a big engine, lol. I was flying .40’s and figured I’d never go bigger. A few years later I had a .91 - a few after that my first 50cc. Remember when I saw a DA150 for the first time, never thought I’d ever have anything that big... now I do, and the voice in my head says woah, that big enough.

But, 250cc is just HUGE. Looking forward to seeing the engine.

HAL9KPCM 01-01-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJCoholic (Post 3672791)
..............But, 250cc is just HUGE. Looking forward to seeing the engine.

My first dirt bike was 75cc LOL.

RAMJET 01-01-2019 07:49 PM

We'll have to get together and fly sometime Andrew ,1/2 A , 250cc gas , it's all good LOL. I live in a bleak flying area too ..

RAMJET 01-01-2019 10:32 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Did the stringers today , what a tedious job getting them all to sit straight .. . finished up the horizontal stab fairings , cut out the vertical stab fairing and mounted the tail wheel fairing..

Also had to replace the tail wheel assembly as it with one the wrong size ..

Mendes 01-02-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAMJET (Post 3672833)
Did the stringers today , what a tedious job getting them all to sit straight .. . finished up the horizontal stab fairings , cut out the vertical stab fairing and mounted the tail wheel fairing..

Also had to replace the tail wheel assembly as someone had taken the supplied one and replaced it with one the wrong size ..

Really nice work! Can't wait to see the engine mounted on this beast.

RAMJET 01-02-2019 11:57 AM

Thanks Richard ,the wait for the motor is killing me too LOL.

RAMJET 01-07-2019 11:11 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Finished up the tail feathers by doing the pocket hinges , I think they look a little better on a scale bird then the beveled hinge . Also started to install the motor box , cant go too far in this area until the engine arrives . built the landing gear as supplied by the kit . This was the older kit that does not include the sierra gear . I've upgraded the gear with a inside sleeve to prevent them from bending on a hard landing and I also modded the oleo mount so the toe can be adjusted . not decided if I will use these or purchase the sierra gear .Sierra gear costing close to $600 eeeek .I put a toonie on the tire to give an Idea of how big this plane is .

RAMJET 01-09-2019 12:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
putting a order in for the number plates , the decals look like aluminum so I will stick them to lithoplate and screw them in place

RAMJET 01-09-2019 12:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
also painted and installed the landing gear , with the gear and wheels on you have to take the upper wing section off to fit it on the table . Just massive ..I am a little torn with what to do with the boot cowl , the one from F.S. is epoxy glass and is a nice solid piece to work with ,problem is it does not fit well . the factory one from Balsa USA fits like a glove but is very soft . thinking I may just have to make my own from the balsa USA one ..

RAMJET 01-10-2019 02:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
installed the cockpit decking ,it's later covered with aluminum , also installed the hinges for the to front compartments . and finally at long last my engine was released from the border police LOL, God know what they do with it for 2 weeks . should have it in a few more days ..:sFun_drool2: I will be making the side panels functional ,they call for plywood covered with light aluminum . same weight as a thicker piece of aluminum so I will go with a all aluminum door , it will look more authentic ..

-Rick- 01-10-2019 04:45 PM

Beautiful work Roger!

RAMJET 01-10-2019 06:02 PM

Thanks Rick ,this is sort of the slow part , having to make all the parts fit and some are putting up a good fight . I must say this kit has some odd instructions ..

RAMJET 01-11-2019 11:52 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Installed the upper landing gear fairings and fit and hinged the front access panels ,still need to add the hardware to lock them closed .. I also noticed on the real plane that there was a separate panel between the side access panel and the landing gear fairing that surrounds the flying wires ,so I cut the top off the landing gear fairing and made a filler plate from aluminum . This will make it so the landing gear fairing can be removed for servicing the gear without messing with the flying wire brackets ..will also let you inspect the smoke and fuel tanks ..

RAMJET 01-11-2019 05:25 PM

6 Attachment(s)
things went a little smother on the left side .. have this stage all done ..this plane has little access to the electronics and fuel tank so these panels(not part of the kit ) will add very much needed access.

RAMJET 01-13-2019 07:47 PM

10 Attachment(s)
trimmed the wind screen frames , added the flange to mount the boot cowl , also mounted the belly panel .. I am really leaning toward making my own boot cowl, the Balsa usa one fits so well but is far to soft ..

RAMJET 01-14-2019 09:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
finally the engine showed today . Of course busy today so can't play until tonight .

grosbeak 01-14-2019 11:31 AM

The build looks great so far, Rog! Can't wait for the Valach unbgoxing...

RAMJET 01-14-2019 03:16 PM

12 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures, all I can say is wow this engine is impressive ..

RAMJET 01-14-2019 03:26 PM

found a little clip of one running