RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   General RC Aircraft Discussion (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Single Channel RC Question (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=582189)

NEW222 08-19-2019 10:50 PM

Single Channel RC Question

Hi. So I am currently in the process of redoing an old Goldberg Skylane 42, and have a question or concern... I do not have a lot of stick time, and none in the past couple years, and amore wondering about this airplane. All I have flown have been scratch built foamies with flat wings. High wing trainers, a 'stick' type plane, delta with front prop, and a pusher jet. All but the pusher jet are still around. Anyways, what would the concensus be on flying a Cox powered single channel rudder only plane? And what kind of climb does it have and area do I need? Access to fly is approximately 2 -3 soccer field size, treed around the edges. Is it better to fix it and shelve it for display, or worth a go at it? I have never flown single channel before with an engine that goes till it is out of fuel, or any nitro powered plane before (successfully). Thanks.

stegl 08-20-2019 11:09 AM

Re: Single Channel RC Question

Need at least two channels , minimum. Rudder and elevator and lots of dihedral in the wing. The third channel , throttle , would be highly recommended in a tighter space. If flying in a wide open space then you could get by with the first two channels mentioned. Just my opinion . If using a TD049/051 your aircraft would have to be very light and even then , power will be marginal. Years ago , been there , done that.

NEW222 08-20-2019 11:25 AM

Thanks. I was honestly leaning to the original with single channel and Golden Bee or Black Widow. But now hearing this, I will probably keep it aside till I can find the space required. I do not yet know what the weight will be so only time will tell. Thanks again for your input.

Cricklewood 08-20-2019 11:54 AM

I used to fly single channel, rudder only pulse radio, planes years ago (circa 1970-72) and they were fine. Elevator trimming is important so it climbs smoothly under power and glides once the engine runs out of gas. I flew it in an area approximately what you are describing but would probably prefer more space for test flights. My plane was a Goldberg kit, and while I don't remember the model it might have been the Skylane. A Cox .049 was the only engine I had at the time so that it what it flew with.

stegl 08-20-2019 12:20 PM

New222 , as per his comments is low stick timer and would not recommend a single
channel at this time. The light radio equipment is here so why not use it and have more control. ? At least that is the way I look at it.

Cricklewood 08-20-2019 12:27 PM

Valid point. The other side is with only one channel to control it may be less confusing. If possible having someone with more stick time to help would be helpful/advisable.

cassat 08-20-2019 06:01 PM

I was thinking about this the other day since I was in the same boat many years ago.
The senior guys all said the same thing... " Don't do it, you need more channels).
And so, these guys are passed on now. But anyway, I took my Junior Falcon out with the Black Widow anyway. I remember that flight was so graceful with single channel. Unfortunately, the glide was a bit long when the engine ran out of fuel and the wing hit a fence post.
Further down the road of course I had multi channel planes and most of them went into the ground burning up many hard earned dollars.
So I say go ahead and try it in a field away from people and enjoy your hobby !

kip51035 08-20-2019 06:10 PM

My first flights were, Rudder & Motor. When I added throttle it climbed and at idle it would glide. Get yourself a .09 engine with a throttle. Use a 4" pitch prop for less speed and use rudder. elevator and throttle.