RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Walbro Metering Lever Gauge (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=598013)

chevelledude13 09-26-2020 10:50 AM

Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
I want to check the metering lever height on several of my WJ-71 carburators. Walbro has a part #500-13 but I donít know if this is correct for a WJ series carb? The gauge does not have WJ stamped on it. Does anyone know what the correct height is?

Billpilotca 09-26-2020 06:04 PM

Re: Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelledude13 (Post 3795589)
I want to check the metering lever height on several of my WJ-71 carburators. Walbro has a part #500-13 but I don’t know if this is correct for a WJ series carb? The gauge does not have WJ stamped on it. Does anyone know what the correct height is?

I think if you turn the gauge over you might find WJ stamped on the other side.

It is on the central arm of the W - on one side you should find WJ

As such the correct needle lever arm height is just very slightly below horizontal with the carb body - maybe 1/16 inch below. But if you have that gauge just be aware that the labelling is different between the two sides, so if you are not finding WJ on one side just flip it over. I just checked my Walbro gauge and WJ is where I stated above.

chevelledude13 09-26-2020 10:07 PM

Re: Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out. I just ordered one from Amazon. I hope to cure my issues with always compromising between a quick throttle response and mid throttle 4-stroking. I’m hoping that setting the metering lever height will get me a reliable throttle up from idle and get rid of the mid throttle 4-stroking.

-Rick- 09-27-2020 11:43 AM

Re: Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
Geez, I wonder how you came up with this idea Andris! (chuckle. chuckle)

Hi Bill and Andris, I had problems with my DA 70 and put a complete rebuild kit in it. It still would not run right. After much reading many various websites I decide to lower my lever arm, to what Bill said 1/16 of an inch. Now the motor runs and tunes like a DA should, perfectly.

Bill I must have done something right through these covid times, I am the president again! But still no company car :slap:

chevelledude13 09-27-2020 03:59 PM

Re: Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
I’m excited to give this a try Rick. Your engine sounds great! After you left on Friday I had a deadstick with my Corsair AGAIN! It quit at the end of the runway doing a low and slow pass. I put it down in the bean field. No real damage, but I gotta figure this out before I trash a plane deadstick landing.

Frank Klenk 09-27-2020 04:31 PM

Re: Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Rick- (Post 3795811)
Geez, I wonder how you came up with this idea Andris! (chuckle. chuckle)

Hi Bill and Andris, I had problems with my DA 70 and put a complete rebuild kit in it. It still would not run right. After much reading many various websites I decide to lower my lever arm, to what Bill said 1/16 of an inch. Now the motor runs and tunes like a DA should, perfectly.

Bill I must have done something right through these covid times, I am the president again! But still no company car :slap:

A raise?

-Rick- 09-27-2020 05:52 PM

Re: Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Klenk (Post 3795863)
A raise?

Not even.

-Rick- 09-27-2020 05:53 PM

Re: Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevelledude13 (Post 3795855)
Iím excited to give this a try Rick. Your engine sounds great! After you left on Friday I had a deadstick with my Corsair AGAIN! It quit at the end of the runway doing a low and slow pass. I put it down in the bean field. No real damage, but I gotta figure this out before I trash a plane deadstick landing.

I forget, what motor was that?

chevelledude13 09-28-2020 06:44 AM

Re: Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
ZDZ80 RV.

chevelledude13 10-17-2020 08:07 AM

Re: Walbro Metering Lever Gauge
 
Setting the correct metering lever height has made a big difference! I can lean in on the LSN until the 4-stroking stops, and still have reliable response from idle to hi speed.

Now I have a HSN question. I lean the HSN to reach max rpm which is 6000 rpm. Then when I keep turning the needle it stays at the same max rpm of 6000 for at least half a turn. After that it finally drops off too lean. Is the correct setting when I first reach max rpm, just before it drops off too lean, or somewhere in between?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by vBA CMPS
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.