RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Control Line and Free Flight (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Simple fun is so often the best (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=596065)

MJD 08-13-2020 11:30 AM

Simple fun is so often the best

Every now and then my love of catapult gliders takes over and I go on a minor binge. Lately I've made 3 copies of this basic model, using balsa leading edges and depron panels. Wings are 1/4" x 4" x 22", 20% stab, weight just under an ounce. Typical evening air flight time 45-50s as you see here, not a competition model but a quickly built fun thing with a nice slow sink rate. This is my version of meditation. This is often how I spend the last 20-30m of the daylight. MY wife says I don;t exercise enough so I put on her Fitbit when I went out with one of these the other day - 2230 steps. See, models are good for you, esp free flight if there is a light breeze!

Often I find this just as satisfying as flying a big aerobatic model or whatever, the ratio of cost and effort to pleasure is remarkably high. Plus there is no better way to get your trim and balance act together.

AJCoholic 08-13-2020 11:39 AM

Re: Simple fun is so often the best

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJD (Post 3786961)
Every now and then my love of catapult gliders takes over and I go on a minor binge. Lately I've made 3 copies of this basic model, using balsa leading edges and depron panels. Wings are 1/4" x 4" x 22", 20% stab, weight just under an ounce. Typical evening air flight time 45-50s as you see here, not a competition model but a quickly built fun thing with a nice slow sink rate. This is my version of meditation. This is often how I spend the last 20-30m of the daylight. MY wife says I don;t exercise enough so I put on her Fitbit when I went out with one of these the other day - 2230 steps. See, models are good for you, esp free flight if there is a light breeze!

Often I find this just as satisfying as flying a big aerobatic model or whatever, the ratio of cost and effort to pleasure is remarkably high. Plus there is no better way to get your trim and balance act together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxkSSzqsiZk

I’ve always said I enjoy flying small rubber powered stuff just as much as the big expensive stuff. It’s more satisfying to get a decent flight out of one. Similarly with HLG or what you’re doing. That’s true love of the hobby of model aviation.

MJD 08-13-2020 11:59 AM

I say that you always learn a hell of lot more about how aircraft work from these models than you do the big guys. It's akin to an airline pilot with a bunch of glider hours.. what better skills foundation can you find? In the end when the engines quit, guess what you're left with.. Sully and others can elaborate on that.

smoknrv4 08-13-2020 12:51 PM

Pretty cool Mike thanks for sharing buddy! How you doin anyway? staying healthy through this mess?

MJD 08-13-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoknrv4 (Post 3786983)
Pretty cool Mike thanks for sharing buddy! How you doin anyway? staying healthy through this mess?

Yeah man, all good. And you?

Why not send me your coordinates in a PM? It would be good to chat and catch up. Missed catching you again before we left KW last time.

MJD 08-13-2020 01:25 PM

Next one I am using sheet stock for the wing LE and sanding in an official low Rn Drela airfoil using templates. Will be interesting to see the effect on sink rate. I realize the lovely surface finish could throw theory to the wind, but why not? I reinforced the foam TE by rubbing wood glue into the last 1/4", helps avoid nicking to a degree.

Standard trim is left rudder, tweak up on the right elevator tab, and form a bit of wash-in into the TE of the left inner panel. Adjust CG until you just lose any noticeable pitch oscillation, it wastes energy. The wash-in tends to keep the left wing up during launch allowing a higher climb, and prevents any tendency to develop a spiral dive in the glide should it get upset. It will do this consistently launch after launch, as long as the launcher is consistent that is.

I believe the sink rate is around 1 foot per second, check out later in the glide with background reference. There is no lift cruising through the field at this time of the evening. Up top behind the camera is a paved skating rink/b-ball court, and this glider has circled 3-4 times at nearly constant altitude over the asphalt in the evening after a hot sunny day. I can even get a solid bump on a 2m foamie glider by circling over it.

Mad_Mike 08-13-2020 03:49 PM

So cool Mike!
Thanks for a great video. :)

hitechflyer 08-13-2020 06:33 PM

Very Cool :notworthy:

NEW222 08-13-2020 07:53 PM

Just plane ol awesome, and looks like fun. How long does it take to punch one of these out? Are there plans or drawings available, as I do have some foam here waiting to be used, and after seeing this, would be neat to try. Thank you.

MJD 08-17-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW222 (Post 3787061)
Just plane ol awesome, and looks like fun. How long does it take to punch one of these out? Are there plans or drawings available, as I do have some foam here waiting to be used, and after seeing this, would be neat to try. Thank you.

I think it takes me about 2 - 2.5 hours or so total to build one. Pretty simple. I have the plans about half done in CAD at the moment, I'll post a copy once they are legible.

Yeah they are fun, I love simple gliders HLG or catapult. At 59 with arthritis, I prefer catapult these days - my HLG arm has pretty much retired.