RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum

RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia - Old Timer Aircraft (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   First SAM/Old Timer build in years.. (https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=573121)

AJCoholic 05-18-2020 06:06 PM

Re: First SAM/Old Timer build in years..

Quote:

Originally Posted by williame3590 (Post 3769215)
Did you ever finish this build Andrew?

Bill

No I got side tracked. I was hoping this past winter. However I may start working on it again after I get my AMR-Trainer 50 finished up!

AJCoholic 12-05-2020 08:21 AM

Update.... well, two years since I started framing this thing up. Thats sad! But, life gets in the way.

I ended up selling both my gold Saitos, to help out my buddy purchase some rc gear. Then I bought a Saito 40, but I recently got my hands on a used Saito gold 30, so were back on track.

Now that I have a place at home (heated garage with plenty of workspace) to work on the models, it will become easier to do things.

Im going to try and get this built for the spring.

Also, I have an old Kraft 3 channel radio that was converted to Spektrum 2.4gHz, on its way that I plan to use in this plane. Sweet!

williame3590 12-05-2020 04:14 PM

Glad to hear Andrew, it will be a great combo.

I'm currently restoring a real old scratch built Brooklyn Dodger, It's a mess but well underway with things. Best way ever to eliminate stress.
No room for a 4stroke on this one, nose is way too short. Just installing a plain jane 2 cycle. Thunder Tigre 40. It will be fine.

Bill

AJCoholic 12-05-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williame3590 (Post 3812611)
Glad to hear Andrew, it will be a great combo.

I'm currently restoring a real old scratch built Brooklyn Dodger, It's a mess but well underway with things. Best way ever to eliminate stress.
No room for a 4stroke on this one, nose is way too short. Just installing a plain jane 2 cycle. Thunder Tigre 40. It will be fine.

Bill

A classic, I have John Ponds' drawings for the Dodger. Sweet!

cicopo 12-08-2020 07:28 AM

I have to ask what does SAM stand for? I have also just started an old timer build & will have a hard time deciding on what to use for covering. I'd be happy to go with silk & dope which I had used for many years in my pre adult days. On the other hand it seems traditional to show off the bones in what I'm using to stay (I hope) sane while stuck at home this winter. I will be doing a photo build album once there's enough progress.
It's the Goldberg Valkyrie & it will be built as per the original style without CNC or laser cut parts but I will be adding some extra strength here & there so it can carry the extra weight of RC gear. Power will be electric.

AJCoholic 12-08-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cicopo (Post 3813391)
I have to ask what does SAM stand for? I have also just started an old timer build & will have a hard time deciding on what to use for covering. I'd be happy to go with silk & dope which I had used for many years in my pre adult days. On the other hand it seems traditional to show off the bones in what I'm using to stay (I hope) sane while stuck at home this winter. I will be doing a photo build album once there's enough progress.
It's the Goldberg Valkyrie & it will be built as per the original style without CNC or laser cut parts but I will be adding some extra strength here & there so it can carry the extra weight of RC gear. Power will be electric.

Society of Antique Modellers. They govern the legal planes for certain eras etc. And engines as well.

williame3590 12-08-2020 07:38 AM

That's a big project Larry. Keep us posted please.

Bill

cicopo 12-08-2020 08:12 AM

Thanks AJ & Bill I will keep you posted. I've been thinking of building one for a few years & with nothing else to do this winter I took the plunge. I downloaded the plans from Outerzone & started printing them BUT the 2 pages are at a different scale to each other. Took a while but I solved the difference & re printed them, bought most of the materials & have started making ribs & the trailing edges for the wings. Like AJ I've got a heated garage to work in plus I still have my darkroom for the smaller stuff. I have also joined the Valkyrie Builders Group on Facebook which looks like a very important part of this. Lots of good info there as well as some BEAUTIFUL photos of finished projects.

On another old timer note a member of the build group posted this video yesterday of a similar Goldberg design which has now been flown.

williame3590 12-08-2020 12:12 PM

That's what the true sense of modeling is Larry. Google Franny's Valkyrie build and flight. She did a hell of a job of hers and I think it was her first ever build.

Bill

cicopo 12-16-2020 03:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well although I will do a build thread of some kind once I get some real progress I have completed building the truss style ribs for 1 wing. Because I plan on building a 2 piece wing & have been warned about wing failures when built too light for RC use the first 3 ribs of each wing will be 3/32 ply & # 4 will be from 1/8 balsa. A built a jig to pre shape my upper & lower strip before cutting them to 1/8" wide & have determined I want hard balsa for all the ribs. I hadn't planned on that & might need to find more before getting a full second set built.
Either way I've got lots of other parts to cut out as well as 1/8 X 1/8 spars to lengthen.