RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - Balsa Rite
Thread: Balsa Rite
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #17
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83
Re: Balsa Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelaircrafter View Post
Well, the bad news is that Sig cancelled my order as they will not ship to Canada.

So, with the help here, I found Poly Tak but got the same results. But they DID inform that Aircraft Spruce buy it from them and I have some on the way.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/canada.php
It's 18 dollars US for a pint, do the math, I didn't even ask the price.

Caveat is that they have to ship by Purolator. No matter, I want, I need, will last a long time considering the small aircraft I concentrate on.

Thanks bunches guys. :*)

$26.50 Canadian on the Canadian Aircraft Spruce website.

...… and when I checked the website just now, for the first time I saw this - Fab-Tac Fabric Cement, packaged under Aircraft Spruce's own label. $19.50 Canadian for a pint.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...ges/fabtac.php

The Q&A on the Fab-Tab is intriquing…. good for model use, can be added to dope to improve adhesion, thins with acetone or MEK

Compare with the Q&A on Poly-Tak that says in part "thinned with MEK per the How To Manual. There is no info regarding the use of Acetone with this material."
(but go ahead and try acetone if that what you have on hand ? - my thought - smiley)

I'm fine with and use solvent based adhesives/coatings but increasingly people in the hobby are experimenting with off the shelf/non rc hobby specific, water based stuff, largely because the solvent stuff is increasingly hard to get and therefore pricier.
Mod Pogue, a crafts coating, sold at Michaels, Wal-Mart, etc. has been mentioned several times on rcgroups, stunthanger forums as a heat activated adhesive---- and Mod Pogue itself, supposedly, can be replicated by thinning any white pva glue by a third with water and adding, if you want a harder/gloss surface, a couple of tablespoons of water based varnish per cup.
Steps need to be taken with water based cements to prevent thin balsa sheeting from swelling from the water base: cheap hairspray (lacquer) has been used a barrier; I've applied several smudge coats of quick drying, water based varnish, with a "barely damp" brush, so the balsa is sealed and can accept a "wet" coat of a water based cement.

AndyW, you might want to ask the moderators to shift this thread to the "construction ideas, hints, and tips" category where others in the future can find it more readily..... and let us know how the Poly-Tak worked out.

Last edited by michaely; 06-11-2019 at 05:40 PM.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.