RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum - View Single Post - LEDS for Shop/Garage
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 05:17 AM   #4
Propworn
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 264
Re: LEDS for Shop/Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
After something like 8 years ago when I installed new fluorescents in my workshop , the one set finally gave out. I replaced with the pop in leds and works great . Don’t notice any hum at all. If I remember correctly they were about 4200-4500k . Anything over that is too bright white for me but I guess everyone has their brightness preference.

I thought about using the direct plug in or plug and play but my fixtures were a combination old and new ballast types and finding one LED tube that would work with all of them at the right color temp and brightness proved challenging.

I was surprised at the amount of heat given off by the old ballasts and tubes. Heat is waisted energy.

Im a long time tool maker and worked in my fair share of poorly lit shops so I opt for bright well lit personal hobby area. 5000 K most closely replicates daylight for acceptable color rendition. 3000 lumens is the strenght of the light and 14 fixtures in my two car garage is just about right for a shadowless work area.

A twenty watt LED tube uses more than 20 watts when run through a balast. By eliminating the ballast eliminates all that heat from the 14 ballasts and the 28 fluorescent tubes now the fixtures and LED tubes are barely warm to the touch. It should help a lot with the AC this summer.

Last edited by Propworn; 04-08-2021 at 04:31 PM.
vBulletin Message

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.