Need advise for ESC problem - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #1
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Need advise for ESC problem

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys,

I have a problem with a setup, I have a Castle Phoenix ICE 100 amp ESC, 7 cell battery, Mega Acn 22/35/1.5ES motor in a 7 blade Hoaye 90 mm EDF.
I use this same size battery, motor and EDF unit in my composite Arrow and the system produces 2175 watts of power. The only difference was the Turnigy 100 amp HV ESC that I had used in it, which by the way, blew up one day.

So, once I plug in the battery pack, the ESC correctly counts the number of cells.

Then I advance the throttle, all is well until i get near the half throttle position and the motor hesitates slightly and the power drops off. Advancing the throttle has no affect, there's even less power.

I have the motor timing set to high in the ESC programming.

So I'm figuring it's in the program settings ...... somewhere
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:49 PM   #2
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136
Re: Need advise for ESC problem

I would set all the settings on the ESC to factory defaults . Do you use an inline wattmeter to see what amps are being pulled as you throttle up .
I know I will get strange replies to this one. How are the bearings on the motor and how much time on them ? Have had several motors that had questionable bearings , not 100% free and had ESC running issues. Replaced the bearings and a perfect running motor combo after that.

Have read in the past that some Mega motors were a little fussy on the brand of ESC used. I’d check the current draw first , though. Then try and find a complete instruction manual to see what they had to say. Other alternative is contact Castle and see what they may have for info

Last edited by stegl; 07-19-2020 at 12:05 AM.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87

Sounds like the ESC might have entered into program mode. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
notarectum

Total Props: 42

There are many instances where the esc will not drive the motor, just a mismatched setup. The first thing I would do is try a different type of ESC and see what happens ( been there too many times and learned the hard way ).

The thought that any ESC will drive any motor is incorrect, you can adjust forever and still be a fail. Also you would know the status of the motor, if a different type of ESC works fine the motor is fine and incompatible with the original ESC.
itizme is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-32
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 10

John. I think the mega being a low pole count in runner might not like the the
High timing setting on the castle. Most favor a low timing setting. I have only run one mega and found it to be a very fussy motor for esc settings, but I can’t remember what it “liked”

Also. Be careful with the motor not being the issue. I did have a inrunner that “blew up” two esc’s before I figured out it was the culprit. It would do something similar to what your describing but closer to full throttle.
Cat 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
Trumpet
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mark Betuzzi
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX-10

Total Props: 16

Is it possible when the original ESC blew, it caused damage to your motor? Also check your transmitter throttle curve settings.
Check that you have the latest Castle Creations Link software.
https://home.castlecreations.com/download-castle-link

Check the settings with your PC and let us know how you make out.
Trumpet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Thanks for all the info guys. Lots to think about. The motor and ESC seemed to work fine at factory default settings in the Mig-15 even the the EDF unit was a JetFan and this is now a Hoaye. The motors are the same.

I did recharge the batteries and this actually seemed to solve the issue to a certain degree, still not generating the 2175 watts.

I did change the timing, from low to medium to high. This did not help out at all, but did affect the motor's performance of course. The Mega is a 6 pole motor and the info in the tech sheet advises to have the timing set 5-10 degrees, max. 18 degrees. So I increased the setting from 1 to 5, which is mid-way, factory default.

The meter indicates the amp draw is around 65 - 68 amps, which is quite low, I would normally be in the mid-80's with the 7 cell setup. I even tried an 8 cell battery setup, but the amp draw was pretty much the same.

I'm waiting to see what Castle's support says.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Oh, almost forgot, the throttle curve is good, indicating 100%
Old 07-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203

I wonder if you are running pooched batteries. If the voltage sags enough and you have low voltage protection, you may be liming power as part of the ESC settings.
Post your amps as well as the voltage showing at full power. This can eliminate this question. You should be maintaining around 3.3v per cell MINIMUM under full load.
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...77&postcount=1
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. Lots to think about. The motor and ESC seemed to work fine at factory default settings in the Mig-15 even the the EDF unit was a JetFan and this is now a Hoaye. The motors are the same.

I did recharge the batteries and this actually seemed to solve the issue to a certain degree, still not generating the 2175 watts.

I did change the timing, from low to medium to high. This did not help out at all, but did affect the motor's performance of course. The Mega is a 6 pole motor and the info in the tech sheet advises to have the timing set 5-10 degrees, max. 18 degrees. So I increased the setting from 1 to 5, which is mid-way, factory default.

The meter indicates the amp draw is around 65 - 68 amps, which is quite low, I would normally be in the mid-80's with the 7 cell setup. I even tried an 8 cell battery setup, but the amp draw was pretty much the same.

I'm waiting to see what Castle's support says.
As I previously suggested to set all parameters to default and try again and only make one change at a time if you must . As suggested; also check what the pack voltage is under load because as the voltage drops so will the current and also the rpm.
One other thing ; have you checked your performance mapping and downloaded the graph as to what is happening with the ESC when you change throttle settings as that can be invaluable.
That's one thing with most CC esc's is they sometime have too may adjustable options and one can work against the other if set wrong resulting in a poor running setup.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in