Re-starting Avro Arrow build - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
smchale
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Sean McHale
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 6
Re: Re-starting Avro Arrow build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
Attached is a concept drawing I whipped up, not to scale just some thoughts on the screen. Any constructive input is appreciated. I believe I can actually make these in the home workshop. I might even do the aluminum structure out of molded carbon fiber and that would make it a one piece frame work.
Cool project! On the retracts I'd suggest extending the pivot rod out past the strut and put it in some sort of bearing block to support it. There will be a lot of the force on that rod and a cantilever setup is prone to bending. Better to support the strut between to bearings. Years ago I built a couple P-51 mustangs from Brian Taylor dwgs and he used a cantilevered setup to get the pivot in the scale location near the wing LE and they were forever bending. I finally extended the shaft into a block in the LE and never had an issue. Of note, my bvm 80" Sabre retracts also have a similar pivot block for support.
smchale is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
smchale
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Here is the retract unit for the Sabre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	640.0 KB
ID:	183133  
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
smchale
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Here is the retract bay, note the support plate in the trailing edge spar (in the Sabres case it's to move the strut rearward).
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	244
Size:	509.1 KB
ID:	183134  

Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #24
smchale
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

And here is the retract installed, note the extra support this gives the strut.
Hope this is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	265
Size:	532.8 KB
ID:	183135  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #25
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Talking Re: Re-starting Avro Arrow build

That was my intention in regards to a support block, I have a friend whose hobby is machine work, has all the toys to do everything involving metal work. I've already "informed" him that he's been volunteered to do the machine work for me and he's quite interested. I have to make a plywood mock-up first and see how to make the darn strut twist during retraction and pull the two main wheels into position so they will fit into the wheel well. I think I'm going to put aside the fact that the strut also has to shrink about .375" but I do have an idea to make that happen. And it will be electric driven but I think it will have analog type micro switches instead of the computer type circuit board as I am not that great when it comes to electronics. However, if I can find a source for just the motor and electronics, I won't pass that up so long as it is reasonably priced.

This week I actually found time to work on the project, got the nose section fitted to the main fuselage and got it screwed in place. The canopy section was also fitted, had to sand off a lot of bondo to get it right. Now I have to do a final fitting adjustment, which requires more bondo being added . . . . . .

Once everything is fitted, I'll post a couple of pictures.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

So the plug is coming along pretty good, for those who wonder, from the tip of the nose data probe to the end of the tail cone stinger, the model will be 122.5" in length. I had to sand away quite a bit of bondo that I had put on top of the forward section after I had cut it off. I over estimated the thickness. But the canopy fits flush with the surface so all I now need to do is fatten up the top of the forward section by about 1/8" on either side so the fuselage and the canopy will blend properly. All in all, it's working out really well. The master fuselage plug for the 90 mm EDF Arrow is on the bench at the right, quite a different in size.

Since I have it already made, I might use the vertical fin that I made back in the 1990's when I started the project. Still seems to be in very good condition, structure wise.....it's straight and no de-laminating that I can see. Cannot remember if I used any carbon in it though for where the spars will go. Maybe best to make a new one.

Would be kinda nice if I could get a copy flying this coming season, it's possible as the wings will be foam cores.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Arrow Fuselage Plug.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	185440  
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #27
thedeuce
RCC Apprentice

I am: John
Radio of choice:
Aurora 9
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 0

Looks great John
thedeuce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
DarthAnal
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bru D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 7

John, the retract sequence and the gear structure is covered in the original Arrow book (Arrowheads, Boston Mills Press, 1980) page 176. The sidee and back stay provided the twist action during the cycle so that the main shaft rotated enough to bring the boggie into the right position to be flat in the wing. A chain that ran down the inside of the shaft and passed over the trunion block (pivot point) provided the pull needed to compress the gas shock sufficient to shorten the gear the needed length.

That's why the stock landing gear setup didn't work in Arrow models -- the boggie was off angle and the gear hit the fuselage. Not sure what Sammy is doing for his version but I think that MADDOG (Brad) or "Mike Emilio" should be able to tell you what they did for their verions.

Thread for that one is https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...ght=Avro+ARROW
Post 353 for first flight and settings.
DarthAnal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #29
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I have the CG set on both my pusher and my EDF Arrow set at just forward of the dog tooth, about 22% - 21% and that seems to work really nice. The elevator is set so there is lots of movement but I have the expo set at 75% which tames the model down but give me lots of control at the slower speed when needed, same with the ailerons. I tried to use the same total throws as shown on the scale drawings. I'll be transferring these over to this one when the time comes.

As far as the main struts are concerned, well, I'm going to give it a shot, went to Busy Bee today and looked at some small metal lathes and a small milling machine that will do the trick if my machine shop buddy is too busy to help out. They own a cottage and spend a lot of time near Huntsville and I don't like relying on others to help out when I'm on a time line. It never seems to work out.

Right now the plug is on it's back so I can get the rear portion sculpted and fashion those two large vents on the bottom.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
thedeuce
RCC Apprentice

I am: John
Radio of choice:
Aurora 9
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 0

John,

I'm thinking you might know of Doug Hyslip? The one who made the models for the movie? I'm sure if you have questions regarding any issues you come across you could contact him with questions. He has been through it all.

www.actionhobby.ca

cheers
thedeuce is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in