Front vs rear exhaust canisters - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 01-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #1
BFlyer
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Bruno Scherzinger
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
Front vs rear exhaust canisters

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Is there a difference between front and rear exhaust canisters of a given size in terms of noise reduction and engine power?

I am looking to use a pair of MTW75 front or rear exhaust canisters for a DA 100. These canisters are quite long (355 mm). The rear exhaust version is less convenient to install because of the added length of the exhaust pipe. However it appears to be closer to a tuned pipe than a front exhaust canister, so I am naively guessing that it allows the engine to develop more power than the front exhaust version would allow. Is my naive conjecture true or false?

I would appreciate any guidance on resolving this question.
BFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
rpm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Paul M
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ, Jeti DS-16

Total Props: 8
Re: Front vs rear exhaust canisters

In my opinion your conjecture is true but I don't have any numbers to prove it. I think it makes sense that rear exit cans will have freer flow. I have had both front and rear exhaust canisters and have been happy with both. Currently using MTW75 rear exhaust with a DA120 and it runs great. Have had DA100 with front exhaust cans and it ran great. I doubt you would notice very much difference, so it the front exhaust better suits the install I would do that.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:21 PM   #3
RAMJET
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 84

On a 2 cycle they require an expansion chamber to optimize performance , all cans used on R/C models are way to small to have any real power affect . yes it may or may not cause the engine to produce power in a different place then a standard muffler but they are not even close to having a large enough volume to optimize performance to any real degree . as far as the exit port ,it is used more as a pressure relief valve to keep pressure constant in the pipe, This combination of a expansion chamber that should be equal to the expanding gasses (not possible in a R/C aircraft) and the size of the exit port need to be in balance to keep the incoming fuel charge from going straight out the exhaust port . The size of the can and the diameter of the exit port will have more effect then the location of the exit port . Pressure will drop at the same rate inside a tire no matter where you puncture it. LOL. cheers

Old 01-19-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
grizak
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★

I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 8

You won't notice much (if any) difference in performance between an MTW front or rear dump canister.

If you really want to maximize performance, you may want to consider the MTW TD80 instead of the TD75 - the TD75 is essentially discontinued now. The 75s work very well - but the 80 is an improvement - it is slightly longer (just a few mms).
Old 01-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
BFlyer
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Bruno Scherzinger
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0

Thank you for all the advice. My next question is probably the subject of an ongoing debate. Do canisters improve or reduce the engine power output compared to standard mufflers?

John and Jase Dussia’s YouTube videos on Extreme Flight airplane assembly and setup show their preference for standard mufflers. Is it because of power, weight or engine spool-up time?

Interestingly the new Extreme Flight airplanes that use carbon fiber for fuselage structure don’t have canister wells. Is this because most customers install standard mufflers, or because modern canisters plus header pipes isolate the exhaust flow to the exhaust pipe really well?
BFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in