Re-test for my wings - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #1
rome
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Taranis
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Re-test for my wings

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So after 30 years plus of flying, I just found out that MAAC , on their new rules, they only grandfathered me on one discipline...Helicopter....
I flew and learned helicopters first 36 yeas ago, then went on to fly planes and got my wings a a couple of years after.
And because I put heli. first on my profile I'm only recognize as a heli. flier, and not on fixed wing on the new MAAC rules. I have to be tested and signed of for my fixed wing this year. I have no problem with MAAC if this was a new guidelines from Transport Canada.
But 30 plus years as a MAAC member and teaching student flyer, through out those years, it feels weird.
It was a big ooops, on my side however I missed the email they sent last September.
I hope I pass, on my test.
maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
RAMJET
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 89
Re: Re-test for my wings

Rome ,As far as I know it has nothing to do with MAAC, whoever runs your club simply needs to go on the MAAC site and change your designation to fixed wing pilot also. If you are a well known fixed wing pilot I can't see your own field making you take any testing . Every field will need a chief instructor that can log onto MAAC and make changes as needed . I talked to MAAC about this and they told me they don't look at every application , if you are at a fixed wing field they would register you as a fixed wing pilot, it's up to your club to adjust your profile correctly . Hope this helps .

Last edited by RAMJET; 03-03-2021 at 08:47 PM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 21

I don't see you as having any problems passing a wings test. The problem is the people that have passed a wings test in the past that can't fly safely. I see it all the time, people that have a set of wings that can't fly an airplane, that's the problem. Its about time some thing gets done to keep everyone safe from Kamikaze pilots. I welcome a wings test at any time to prove I can fly, and so should all pilots. its a positive thing not a negative. Cheers Floyd

Last edited by floyd; 03-03-2021 at 08:49 PM.
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #4
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 206

MAAC only grandfathers you on the one (usually)

We had to update all our members that have multiple disciplines, its easy to do.
Just have your club administration change your status. In the reason section, they write "grandfathered as of 2020" and its done.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:38 PM   #5
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 23

Yes. No need for a test. I had to update a bunch of oour member records and your club should do the same with no hesitation.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 19

For the record I appear to be a prime example of what this is about and fully understand why it needs addressing. As I understand it from reading all the info I received or was directed to via links it's needed to prove people like me who have joined MAAC (in many cases now I suspect that's to by pass the TC regulations applicable to flying RC) but don't fly at a club field. How could TC or MAAC and the insurance underwriter know we have any idea how to fly safe or enough skill to fly safely using the honour system. I fly at home, have for years and truthfully can say I learned how to fly safely by attending & photographing events as well as reading MAAC safety protocols. Anyone who flies (flew) at a club field even just a few times per year at least has witnesses to their skill set but I can't say I have any so in the rare chance I have an accident that requires insurance coverage it wouldn't be unreasonable it be denied based on just my word I was operating safely.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicopo View Post
For the record I appear to be a prime example of what this is about and fully understand why it needs addressing. As I understand it from reading all the info I received or was directed to via links it's needed to prove people like me who have joined MAAC (in many cases now I suspect that's to by pass the TC regulations applicable to flying RC) but don't fly at a club field. How could TC or MAAC and the insurance underwriter know we have any idea how to fly safe or enough skill to fly safely using the honour system. I fly at home, have for years and truthfully can say I learned how to fly safely by attending & photographing events as well as reading MAAC safety protocols. Anyone who flies (flew) at a club field even just a few times per year at least has witnesses to their skill set but I can't say I have any so in the rare chance I have an accident that requires insurance coverage it wouldn't be unreasonable it be denied based on just my word I was operating safely.
Actually, its not a problem for people like you. MAAC has a category called "Geographically remote pilot"
If you are not a member of a club but would like to be qualified as a pilot, you need a willing MAAC enabled instructor to have you do your test remotely. MAAC suggests it can be done by submitting a video to the instructor, but in today's technologically enabled world, I can see me doing a "test" with a person who flies from his own property "live" using facetime video, whatsapp video, etc. Again, it sounds like something complicated, but in reality it is easy to do. If you (or anyone else) has MAAC but flies in a private location needs to have their MAAC status upgraded to "Pilot", I would be happy to help. Just PM me and we can set up a "test" to get you up-rated.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #8
rome
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Taranis
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

So I read the documents from MAAC/RPAS. And the wings officer of our club has also explained in great details how things will go.
So in MAAC's new guidelines I'm down graded to fixed wing student pilot, (hm... after 34 years of flying) until I get signed off again by at least 2 executives or instructors. That really hurts my Ego LOL.
That's fine I will abide by the rules.
And on the lighter side, I might be tested by some of the pilots I taught how to fly way back who are now instructors them selves.
maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 19

Max I don't want you to be jealous but I fly at home because it's convenient & up till now when I go to a club field I just can't put my camera down. When I had my house built (72) I flew free flight for a few years but decided I didn't feel safe climbing all the local trees to rescue it. I then switched to RC but lost my field (which is right next door) to a new home getting built. I moved onto other things for about 35 years but thanks to photography & E power rejoined the hobby around 2010.
As for MAAC fields in my area I can walk to one but it's expensive to join & has a paved runway. I can drive to a few in under 40 minutes but last summer the ORCC had to find a new field & it's about 15 minutes away and Ottawa Valley Jets announced a new field (I don't fly jets though) only 10 minutes away. It's a really nice grass runway with lots of room where it counts.
All I was trying to say is there is a giant loop hole when it comes to being a MAAC member for the insurance or to by pass the TC regulations when the member hasn't proven they understand the safety side of what they are doing. It therefore seems very reasonable they prove they they can fly & land while in full control in a safe manner. The new guideline even lets them choose what to fly & I haven't seen it said that their plane can't have "electronic aids" like a gyro or SAFE. Just about anyone can learn how to fly a Radian with today's Rx's.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #10
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1

Total Props: 16

What a joke.
Let’s make everything more complicated than necessary.
After all these are serious toys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in