dollar store epoxy? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #21
cessna180
RCC Master Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16
Re: dollar store epoxy?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Lazyace could not have said it better. Garbage in garbage out.
Michael
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #22
Mad_Mike
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike M
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8G2
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 8

The 'adhaero' 25mL twin syringe epoxy is perfectly fine in my opinion.
I've gone through at least 5 packs and they have all worked the same.

The one time I tried to dilute it with IPA to make firewall paint it didn't work properly so I use BSI 15 minute for that.

Excellent deal here at $1.25.
Mad_Mike is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #23
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

I have used the dollar store glues including the craft glue and dual tube epoxy with no problems yet. The CA with 4 tubes is what I use. Mostly because of the shelf life. It seems to harden in a couple months as soon as the tube is opened. A $10 tube or $.25 tube is an easy decision for me. I don't go through much of either type for actual building any more. Mostly repairs. The 5 minute epoxies are seldom as strong as the longer curing ones as there is not enough time to soak into the wood before they start setting. Sometimes they are more like 2 minute epoxy and you don't have enough time to get things lined up. I believe Adhaero is a subsidiary of Henkles which is a large German company which makes many of the products anyway. Freshness would be a concern. Dennis, I am one of those swap meet guys that buys crap. Sometimes you get stung for sure. Other times it makes up for it. I never put too much time in models, just seem to test a lot. Yes, just got a free model, and two servos were scrap. One was dead, likely from a hard landing on the rudder/nosewheel servo, and the other was a slow throttle servo. Got lots of spares. It seems that guys come to my front door to unload planes motors and old radios for some reason. I think I might even have some things from you. It's all part of what you like as a hobby. Rebuilding fiddling with motors, or just working on flying skills. Whatever floats your boat. Safety forced of course.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #24
Aleks
RCC Apprentice

I am: Aleks

Total Props: 0

I have used the dollar store epoxy to repair foam planes after a crash. It works great for that purpose but I would not be using it on a kit. I found that it cures enough to bond but stays a little pliable.
Aleks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:20 PM   #25
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

[QUOTE=Propworn;3774703]I don't understand the mentality of building an expensive, time consuming model and searching for the cheapest materials and electronics one can find. I cannot count the times guys in my club building a large model go shopping in the swap area at Toledo buying used servos, radios and receivers from someone they don't know or will ever see again to outfit their new build????????????????? Then they wonder why the servo is pulsing, vibrating or operating intermittent or worse gives up working on the first or second flight.

Dennis[/QUOTE

Yup , seen that happen with a fella setting up an expensive aircraft with new radio equipment and two servos failed before his first flight of the day . Not particularly low priced servos but a brand he won’t use again. One was on his single servo elevator the other on a less important function. Recipe for disaster .

As for epoxy , dollar store epoxy for dollar store aircraft ! Also be careful on the spelling of what may appear to be brand name stuff as they can change one letter and is pronounced the same way . Saw that being done many years ago from a Canadian distributor who broke down gallons of epoxy into 5 oz or so batches , changed one vowel on the name and sold as high end 5, 15 and 30 minute epoxy.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #26
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwh View Post
if you want a good deal on epoxy ,go to crappy tire in the body repair section you can get 946 ml of epoxy resin with fiber glass and 11 ml of hardener will last you for over a year , you can buy the hardener tube for about $3.00 if you run out, all you need is about one drop for a few spoon fulls it hardens to a nice glossy finish , once it is set you will never seperate it
Whoa - that is NOT epoxy. That is polyester resin with MEKP catalyst, waxed to boot, not intended for structural bonding. As a fuel proofing coating it is "ok", but stinks to high heaven. Also note, the catalyst MEKP is deadly to eye tissue so be extra cautious with it.

Epoxy's mechanical properties and chemical resistance are far superior to these cheapo polyester autobody resins.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #27
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Don't cheap out for structures. My go to is 3M 2216 for.big joins. Stays flexible and iron strong.

"Marine" epoxy is good too.

The super fast setting will be brittle, not sink in to bond, fail easily. Just the nature of chemical bonds.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #28
WarbirdCarl
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Like Shotgun06, I also have used it diluted 50/50 with alcohol to fuel proof firewalls and low to no stress parts, and like you said, it’s ridiculously brittle after full cure.
WarbirdCarl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #29
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203

I have used dollar store 5 minute epoxy for as long as there has been dollar stores (as long as I can remember). Also use their CA in pill bottles containing 4 or 5 little tubes. Super glues! I have many models that are +10 years old flying built with those glues. They are also used at the field for quick repairs.
If you want to pay more and it helps you sleep at night buy the expensive stuff.
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...77&postcount=1
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #30
Fcidalia
RCC Contributor

I am: Frank DC
Radio of choice:
Open TX
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 63

Well said Flyboy.I too have used the 5min epoxy for three years now without any issues.I make sure to stir for at least 1 full min and I'm still left a great 3min to work with a lot like flight time on one of my jets.
Fcidalia is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in