Virtual Meetings - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
deerslayer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Gary Droppo

Total Props: 1
Virtual Meetings

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Most clubs have meetings, monthly being perhaps the typical frequency. At this time, many of our clubs will have increasingly difficult issues to deal with. Field status, maintenance issues, ongoing costs, fees, to name a few.

At the same time, many (most?) Members are either quarantined or otherwise unable or unwilling to attend a group meeting. It may even become prohibited to have such a gathering.

The MAAC Board holds their meetings virtually. This has apparently been working well for several years.

Are any clubs now running, or planning to run, virtual meetings? If so, what are you using and how are you doing it?
deerslayer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Virtual Meetings

We cancelled our March meeting that was scheduled for last week.
We'll probably do a Zoom (online) meeting for our April meeting.

My wife also uses Zoom for her work. They use the video meeting feature in Zoom.
Working from home last week, she had 96 clients on ONE meeting. Seemed to work fine for her running the meeting on our home internet service.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
deerslayer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Gary Droppo

Total Props: 1

Max -
Our March meeting, like yours, was cancelled due to this situation.

I have only briefly looked into this, from personal curiousity.

Zoom is one of the first that I came across. As with much of what I do, Open Source, free, or semi-free (also known as cheap) always appeals to me.

Let's say we have a club of 70 to 100 members, where a typical meeting attracts around 30 of these in person. If it was easy to just go online, this number of attendees might even increase significantly, to perhaps 50 or so. The typical business meeting can be held within 45 minutes. This seems to fit within the free option for Zoom. I suspect that this would also more than cover the situation at most clubs.

Please share your experience with this. Hopefully, others are also looking into it, or already have use it.
deerslayer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

We’ve done most of our meetings via email, it seems to work ok for most issues so far. Peel Region cancelled our March indoor flying, and I suspect April will be cancelled shortly.

Daren
Old 03-30-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
my1stflight
RCC Contributor

I am: G. T.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 16sz
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 2

Another option for communicating is using discord to do virtual meetings, very east setup.
my1stflight is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:56 PM   #6
deaconFlyer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: B. McLaren
Radio of choice:
Taranis & 9XR
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 6

Not to rock the boat ... but if you have a loosely organised club, you might be able to get away with a meeting in almost any format. You really have to look at your constitution / bylaws if your club is more developed and has those available. If you have bylaws (or even written policies) you are bound by those restrictions.

It is never an easy answer. So many organizations are coming up on AMM/AGM situations that are mandated by law and cannot take place in any other format other then in-person. Others even have time restrictions in their bylaws and must meet no later then a certain date. Some boards have absolute power, some have almost no power.

At times like this I always refer to the purpose of a meeting ... "to protect the rights of the minority to be heard". If everyone knows what is going on, why it is going on (and when it is going on) AND you are not restricted to in-person formats, you are probably gold.
... Luke 6:38
deaconFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in