Warped horizontal stabilizer - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
Theodan
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dan T

Total Props: 0
Warped horizontal stabilizer

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys, I'm building an eagle 2 and have covered everything using koverall. I've got a slight warp in the horizontal stabilizer. It is hard to tell from the picture, but using my table saw as a flat surface one side of the stabilizer is a couple mm off the table. Is there any good way of fixing this? Should I try to hear up one side to tighten the fabric a bit more?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_161242.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	624.6 KB
ID:	1621041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_161301.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	678.1 KB
ID:	1621043  
Theodan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Richard Lee
RCC Apprentice

I am: Richard Lee
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 15

Re: Warped horizontal stabilizer

Dan,
This should be an easy fix and you are on the right track with heating the fabric some more. I have corrected this problem several times with good success.

This is a two person job. Have someone flex the stab in the direction you want to straighten and flex it somewhat past flat. While they hold it flexed, you will see new wrinkles in the fabric that were not there before. Iron the fabric tight while your assistant continues to hold the stab twisted past straight. One all sides are ironed, release the stab. It will spring back to - hopefully - a flat position. Good luck.
Richard Lee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
Amanks7477
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Andy
Radio of choice:
Spectrum 6e
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1

You could just try to tighten up one side a bit. Best bet to me would be not to worry about it too much, if is that slight, you should be able to trim it out in flight pretty easy.
Amanks7477 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
cessna180
RCC Master Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Koverall will not keep shrinking and shrinking. It reaches a maximum and 250 degrees on your iron is max. Hotter and you can destroy the fabric and no heat gun, to hot. What did you glue the koverall on with. I use dope and if you did it will release with thinners. If not there is no fix. On a build check before covering and also shrink progressively on both sides.
Many times I insert a carbon fibre square rod against the warped lumber. The other fix would be to glue a carbon fibre strip to the trailing edge with some reverse pressure clamped, but then there is a hinging problem. More thought needed.
Michael
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
cessna180
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba

If you belong to Elgin Flyers ,I do, PM me, I build for others and may be able to help.
Michael
Old 03-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Dennis Pedersen
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
NX10SE / Mikado V-Control
# of RCs: Few

Total Props: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee View Post
Dan,
This should be an easy fix and you are on the right track with heating the fabric some more. I have corrected this problem several times with good success.

This is a two person job. Have someone flex the stab in the direction you want to straighten and flex it somewhat past flat. While they hold it flexed, you will see new wrinkles in the fabric that were not there before. Iron the fabric tight while your assistant continues to hold the stab twisted past straight. One all sides are ironed, release the stab. It will spring back to - hopefully - a flat position. Good luck.
Do this as Richard has posted. Simple fix.
Dennis Pedersen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Theodan
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dan T

Thanks guys! I hadn't built or flown for about 18 years so I have been working on this eagle 2 to get back into things. I have never used koverall either. I have a gp 40 cub I am working on too that I wanted to cover with fabric so I figured I'd practice first on the trainer. I was able to heat the covering a bit more to get the warp out. Installing the elevator has also seemed to help keep it straight. Again thanks for your help

Mike, I am not a member yet. I used to fly with the Bluewater rc flyers when I was in high school. I would like to join the Elgin flyers this spring. I used stix it to glue the fabric, I may try dope next time to give me a chance to reposition things like you said.
Theodan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #8
cessna180
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba

I have been in the rc aircraft building an full size re building for a long time. I have years of experience using Dacron and dope. That is what I know and am happy to help.
Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in