Flight demo at local fair - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-30-2019, 12:27 AM   #11
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky Horusist
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 19
Re: Flight demo at local fair

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan crash O View Post
I didn’t say don’t do it by the book. All I’m saying is that with a little leg work it can be done. But as soon as someone wants to do anything but fly at a field out in the boonies people jump on him
I am on Dan's and Jon's side.. approach MAAC , explain what you want to do , and they will give you help on how to do it..

There is a reason why some people here have over 5000 posts...

They have nothing better to do

Arm chair experts..
The Cat is Back !

The two stupidest answers in the world are !!

JUST BECAUSE and
THAT IS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT.

Last edited by jsparky; 07-30-2019 at 12:33 AM.
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #12
cf100
RCC Master Contributor

I am: K.Kalynuk

Total Props: 21

99.9% of the time a public flight demo goes well,
that 0.1% is the time you screw the pooch, now with social media do you really want to be known as that guy!

Risk verses benefit.

I remember a rc demo at airshow, I was spotting for the guy flying his goldberg chipmunk when he lost it in the sun, after crapping his pants he got sight of it again, landed immediately, packed up and went home.

then the famous rc avro arrow crashing into a full size harvard at https://www.mundy.ca/Aviation/Air-Sh...acks/i-Tc84X37
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magee20.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1639719  
Old 07-30-2019, 09:13 AM   #13
Dan crash O
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daniel O
Radio of choice:
graupner all the way
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 8

Take the risk away. Distance, don’t fly in sun, experience, don’t point your plane at anything you don’t want it to hit, proven plane and equipment.
If no one ever pushed the envelope we would still be winding up the rubber bands to fly our planes.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #14
lazyace
RCC Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 10

If you need MAAC approval then that is who you should be discussing this with. You are wasting valuable time discussing it here as the only thing that can be offered are opinions and most of those will be only half right. Be careful how you ask as in your post worded as you did might leave the impression that the only reason you would be joining MAAC would be for this one time insurance coverage. I am sure hoping that is not what you intended.

Dennis
lazyace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #15
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan crash O View Post
I would get in touch with your maac Rep. They approved us to do a demo at an event before. Takes some effort and time but probably able to do it. Depending on the flying site/distances/etc.
Also ours was maybe 5 years ago before the big ---- storm. There was about 15,000 people.
I agree. Have it sanctioned as a MAAC event. Then you know you are good.
If you must do a demo, if the space is limited, keep it to foamies (indoor kind) and UMX models.

Our club does a static display every year in town and we always get it sanctioned, even though there is no flying activity.

We also do an airshow once a year and also get that event sanctioned through MAAC.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #16
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 19

Sounds like not a MAAC member and sees no value in MAAC except to insure for a demo. Not a good candidate to be a fellow member with me.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #17
lazyace
RCC Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Sounds like not a MAAC member and sees no value in MAAC except to insure for a demo. Not a good candidate to be a fellow member with me.
I have met lots of guys who fly by themselves on private land in the middle of nowhere and have not joined MAAC. No one has come to their neck of the woods and attempted to stop them. I doubt that anyone will unless there is a complaint. Doesn't make them a bad person in fact if hes going to encourage others to get involved and wants to point them in the right direction MAAC, safety guidelines a club etc good on him. If you think about it joining MAAC for one demonstration event is kind of expensive. I just think his request was worded poorly. Given a chance being that it doesn't seem like there is a club in his area if he gets others interested there just might be in the future. Until proven wrong I would like to give him benefit of doubt that hes trying to do the right thing. That is why he needs to talk to and convince his zone director of his intentions not us. To many biased and unbiased opinions here to provide any useful guidance.

Dennis
lazyace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #18
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 46

Quote:
I'm sure comments like this will make fellows that are not maac members rush right out and sign up. Possibly it could have been worded with more tact and less arrogance.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #19
Jon.
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jon A
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 4
Quote:
Sounds like not a MAAC member and sees no value in MAAC except to insure for a demo. Not a good candidate to be a fellow member with me. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/IMG]
. Thanks crusty... could probably make a good meme about you... but it’s not worth the effort.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #20
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 47

I think you would need to be flying from a MAAC sanctioned field now for MAAC to consider allowing you to do a demo at a remote location .But it cant hurt to ask .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in