Glow vs Electric - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 10-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #21
Shawnlh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -2
Re: Glow vs Electric

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
Shawn I was not talking about flying a couple of park flyers . when I would purchase batteries I would spend $800-$1000 for 3 thunderpower packs , and I had a few planes and choppers and cars. Even if the batteries did still work after 6-8 years what do you figure the value of them is to sell ,yeah exactly zero . I don't fly electric anymore because quite frankly I got bored with it so the money spent on batteries was a complete loss to me .Even to fly a trainer it will cost the guy $600-$800 for 3 decent Thunderpower batteries and that will only get him 30 min of flying . then he needs a generator if he wants to fly all day . For the price of batteries alone he could have a nice little saito gasser and keep it for 40 years and give it to his grandchildren . cheers
No park flyers here, I'm talking 12s aircraft. I don't know where you purchased your thunderpuff lipos from, but dam dude, you got hosed. Your numbers are completely out to lunch compared with what's available now. However, I can't argue that a Saito gasser wouldn't be nice, but then your limited with your flying styles due to power (or lack thereof) and weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Battery maintenance is a total pain in the donkey! Life has been too busy for me to fly much in the last 2 years and most of my batteries have gone bad. Even putting them in storage voltage is not good enough to save them if you don't use them regularly. I now have to replace 80% of my batteries or sell the electric planes. If you fly even once a week there is no problem.

Oil up a glow or gas engine and it will last for 30 or more years.

My vote is for the small Saito gas 4 strokes. A bit of a pain to get running right out of the box but it is well worth the price and effort!

Also electric looses it's price advantage big time once you get over the 40 sized planes. That is the cut off for me.
Battery maintenance is simple. For long term storage, put them through a full cycle on your charger about every 3 months and they'll be fine for a very long time.

I'm not trying to discredit anyone here, but lets keep it real for the OP and not blow things out of proportion.
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #22
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Sure battery maintenance is simple but if I had time to go through them all and cycle them every 3 months then I would have time to fly them which accomplishes the same thing. There is little difference in the time required!

I stand by the statement that battery maintenance is a pain in the tush unless you fly regularly.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #23
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

Mervin I feel the same way , Battery care is a huge time hassle , one that I quite frankly can't be bothered with . I was not attacking electric flight, just giving my personal experience so anyone interested can see both sides of the story . For me ,after spending a ton of money and endless hrs watching charger and ultimately being bored to tears I figured it wasn't for me . Shawn , Lets try to keep the comments about the products not the people using them . cheers ..

Old 10-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #24
2easy
RCC Contributor

I am: gary m
Radio of choice:
dx18
# of RCs: 21

Total Props: 14

Greta Thunberg says fly electric
Old 10-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #25
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

I don't think many of them are very well informed . Hamburgers have more to do with global warming then cars and industry combined ,but who cares about facts when you have an agenda..LOL.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #26
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Everyone wants children also so lets double the earth's population and give everyone all the modern conveniences. Why are we ignoring the increasing population????

Sorry, I had to write it since I can't believe the ignorance of facts/data!
4 times the population of 1928. Does that correlate with carbon dioxide?

Glow or gas models ain't a problem.

Last edited by 4*60; 10-20-2019 at 05:03 PM.
4*60 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #27
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

My heart goes out to Greta, another example of child abuse. Someone somewhere is using her to further thier own ends. There is no way on God's green earth she is doing this on her own. Think of the money that has been spent the organizing it has taken, she did not do any of this on her own dime or time!

Those in the background of this performance do not have the required gonads to make themselves known. They are hiding behind her. Can you imagine for one minute her having a normal life after all this?

Not a chance!!!
Old 10-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #28
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
My heart goes out to Greta, another example of child abuse. Someone somewhere is using her to further thier own ends. There is no way on God's green earth she is doing this on her own. Think of the money that has been spent the organizing it has taken, she did not do any of this on her own dime or time!

Those in the background of this performance do not have the required gonads to make themselves known. They are hiding behind her. Can you imagine for one minute her having a normal life after all this?

Not a chance!!!
Totally agree , Not old enough to vote but useful to drive there misguided political point . poor kid .
Old 10-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #29
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Everyone wants children also so lets double the earth's population and give everyone all the modern conveniences. Why are we ignoring the increasing population????

Sorry, I had to write it since I can't believe the ignorance of facts/data!
4 times the population of 1928. Does that correlate with carbon dioxide?

Glow or gas models ain't a problem.
Same reason they are ignoring animals as the major problem . Not a good political platform and no money in it .. I can see it now , next election, reduce population and don't eat animal products , that should be popular LOL
Old 10-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #30
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jeff G
Radio of choice:
X20s or anything FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 81

Quote:
My heart goes out to Greta, another example of child abuse. Someone somewhere is using her to further thier own ends.
I would like to think you are wrong this time merv.. some kids these days can and are very passionate about a cause. they are just shoved to the side and ignored. I watched her in a couple of videos and the expressions on her face would indicate she is very passionate about what she is doing.

The old saying " if looks could kill " Trump would be dead..

I think that her heart is truly in the right place and the media has picked up on it.. it sells news..

Well Kudo's to her for taking advantage of the media.. to get her cause known..
The Cat is Back !

The two stupidest answers in the world are !!

JUST BECAUSE and
THAT IS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT.
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in