Purpose of horizontal tail surface on model helis? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
JohnnyCrash
RCC Apprentice

I am: Ian W. Habicher
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
Question Purpose of horizontal tail surface on model helis?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Howzitgoin' eh!

Just curious if anyone has a definitive explanation of the role of the small horizontal tail surface on model (or full scale) helicopters, usually just in front of the tail rotor disc, usually bolted to the top of the clamp that the tailboom braces attach to. I can't see it doing anything but causing turbulence in the rotor downwash and absorbing some power doing so, reducing overall flight performance (mind you, I have a far less than complete understanding of heli aerodynamics!). Every model heli seems to have one, and full-scale helis often have them too. I busted the one on my EXI 450 in a tail-down crash and haven't replaced it--not good enough of a pilot yet to notice any difference!

Any takers?

Peace

Ian

If it ain't broke, apply throttle, and soon it will be!
JohnnyCrash is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Gizmodude
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Richard L
Radio of choice:
Mikado V Control
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 9
Re: Purpose of horizontal tail surface on model helis?

I have often pondered this quesiton myself...and have flown some heli's without one with no appreciable difference in flight characteristics...I am leaning more towards asthetics than true functionality. Other than the tail boom support clamp where youre tail support rods connect to to stiffen up the tail and make it more rigid...

Anyone else want to weigh in on this one?

Cheers
Rich
Old 04-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
rotormonkey13
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

The theory is that it makes the heli track better in fast forward flight (when they tend to become pitchy). In all practicality, they don't actually end up doing much. Most horizontal stabs on model helis today have virtually no surface area (big ol' holes in 'em) to keep them light for 3d guys. No airfoils on 'em either.

On full scale helis, I would imagine they actually do some good.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
JohnnyCrash
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmodude View Post
I have often pondered this quesiton myself...and have flown some heli's without one with no appreciable difference in flight characteristics...I am leaning more towards asthetics than true functionality. Other than the tail boom support clamp where youre tail support rods connect to to stiffen up the tail and make it more rigid...

I'm with you on the first point, but not all that experienced with flying these puppies yet, so I don't notice any difference in handling (strictly a softcore/sport flier).

Because of the way I look at the model as a whole system, I don't see the aesthetic value of anything that adds weight and decreases flight performance, although unless I'm testing something I usually fly with a canopy installed If anything it provides some crash protection, and the rotor wash speed is very low near the hub, so it has minimal effect on aerodynamics. The horizontal tail seems, to me at least, to have only a detrimental effect.

Anyone else?

Ian

Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
JohnnyCrash
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i

Lightbulb Re: Purpose of horizontal tail surface on model helis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotormonkey13 View Post
The theory is that it makes the heli track better in fast forward flight (when they tend to become pitchy). In all practicality, they don't actually end up doing much. Most horizontal stabs on model helis today have virtually no surface area (big ol' holes in 'em) to keep them light for 3d guys. No airfoils on 'em either.

On full scale helis, I would imagine they actually do some good.
RM,

Gotcha on the FFF handling improvement, models probably don't benefit much from them because of the flybar/FBL gyro which holds a constant attitude regardless of speed.

On full scale helis, they cost a bit more than $2.49 to design, fabricate and install, so I'm sure they do more than give the mechanic a place to park his beer when wrenching on the tail!

Cheerz

Ian

Last edited by JohnnyCrash; 04-24-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: to change stuff
Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
zvman
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Elvin
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 7

For the look and maybe a point of reference to see how level your tail is by "eye" ?
zvman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
tskca
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ken L
Radio of choice:
JR XX

Total Props: 4

Very few Canadian pilots are engaged in competitive FAI F3C flying.
For straight-line FFF, the solid horizontal fin is essential; it's size, e.g., 27 sq. inches, and position on the boom is very important to prevent the heli from pitching up or down. Here's the same question on another message board:

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t5.../?p=4457002#RR

As an aside, 3D fliers can also rid the heli of the vertical fin too - lessening the job of the HH gyro in backwards flight, but leaving the t/r vulnerable to the ground.

Last edited by tskca; 04-24-2012 at 02:23 PM.
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 10

When FAI/F3C first started being flown regularly by more flyers, the blades of the time ALL had severe design problems by today's standards. Even the best, would lead excessively. This would cause the pitchiness to change as the flight speeds increased.

We did many things to help minimize this, from playing with the rotor and flybar systems, changing the length of the flybars, changing the weight and shape of the paddles, adding more lead weight to the blades, changing the bell/hiller ratios, etc. Of course, all of this would help the stability in windy hovering conditions and in forward flight, but they would also slow the cyclic response which was becoming an issue as newer maneuvers where incorporated into the schedules.

One of the things that could be done which had minimal effect on the overall maneuverability, was to use larger horizontal tail stabilizers and experimenting with the distance of them from the mainshaft.

Today, with the great FAI and FBL type of blades now available that can literally have no lead or lag issues, the importance of the tail fins has diminished drastically in FAI and is relatively a non requirement in 3D, specially with the current use of FBL gyro systems.

But there are still some pretty badly designed blades out there, and if you are using some of them, you would still find some undesirable pitchiness in hovering on gusty days and in FFF or FBF, so a bigger airfoil shaped fin (with no holes) would be advantageous.

Last edited by Phil Noel; 04-25-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Phil Noel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
tskca
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ken L
Radio of choice:
JR XX

Total Props: 4

Very nicely done, Phil.

Now I know how far behind I am. Perhaps I won't buy a JR Sylphide "C" after all. LOL
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: StewartW
Radio of choice:
Dx7s
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 12

I have also heard that some hard 3D guys remove the fin and just use a wire in the shape of a fin bacause a rule of the competitions are "You must have something in its place".

More tail maneuverability I'm assuming. I actually broke one side of my Horizontral Fin off and decided to break the other side off to make it even. I never noticed any flight changes with the B400.
Blade 130X
craneman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
heli , helicopter , horizontal , surface , tail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in