Evansdotca
RCC Apprentice

I am: Wilbert E
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 0
Evolution size

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Need a bit of help.
Can some one tell me
1) what size of engine is this?
2) what size of prop nut is needed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85CA43B6-8090-4F6E-8ADA-DA0D309395E7_1596080605726.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	1683741  
Evansdotca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:35 AM   #2
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 21
Re: Evolution size

Should be .46

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...a/EVOE100.html
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 47

It has been a while since ran their engines, but there should be something cast into the head on the left outer cooling fin, (opposite that stylized a in your pic) to show which size. Evolution used that design in several different sizes: 36NT, 40 NT, .46 NT, .61 NT, all the way up to the 1.00. They also came in an NT or NX version. The former was a bit lower performance and had a large flywheel style prop drive washer and came with a rather disappointing 3 blade prop, (throw that away, along with a couple other items to be mentioned later) while the NX sported a more traditional sized to bolt the prop against.

If the 46 it uses a 1/4-28 nut. That is identical to OS and is a National Fine thread. If ordering you would want one that is hardened so will not strip or wear over time. You would also want to run a 10/6 to 10/7 prop, the former being the most likely for the 46. If first flights I normally try to use wood props to protect the engine if things go wrong. In that case the prop will be sacrificed instead of doing damage to the more expensive powerplant.

As for some recommendations: Although heard a lot of negative reports, I came to like these engines. They were relatively strong performers with good power and economy. If any complaint, the modern looks and stronger case design came at a cost in weight. They were a bit heavy for their size, but if your plane needed nose weight that worked for you. The flywheel on the NT added even more, which, IMO, on a engine that put out less power was counterproductive.

The more standard blue anodized drive washer was very soft, and when I loaded them up with a plastic backed spinner it seemed to flex and rub the case nose. Used a metal backed style with less tightening.

They come stock with two limiter rings for the Low Speed and High Speed needles. The first thing you should do is remove them and never see them again. The engine is test run half the globe away in an environment completely different than what it would be exposed to here and the rings limit the amount of adjustment and prevent you from optimizing the mixture settings.

On a final note: If limited experience with IC engines such as this, find a club or local member with more. They can teach you the best and safe methods to get the most out of your plane and engine, along with checking things over for anything amiss.

On that note, where are you located?

ps. I particularly liked their remote HS needle setup and used them often to upgrade other 40 class engines for safety. The second pic shows this mod added to an OS 40 FSR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DigitalCameraTransfer 737.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	896.2 KB
ID:	1683771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_1396.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	624.3 KB
ID:	1683773  

Last edited by Cougar429; 07-30-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 60

Two additions to Gary's list, they also came out with with a TPS version (Trainer Power System). It was a .45 cu in and had the flywheel counterbalance on it. Crankshaft thread was still 1/4 x 28. These were commonly used on H9 "Trainer" type planes that included the PTS Mustang and the F22 Raptor Ready to Fly models.

And, they Also had a .52 NX cu in model.

PS --- Had another look at the photo you attached, and it has an "a" stamped on the head like in the photo below (where the others have .36, .46, etc stamped), so I believe it was designated as the "alpha" engine. Commonly used in the PTS versions of H9 Airplanes, so I am led to believe that the engine you have there is the .45 TPS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4A8BB254-6355-4E52-B194-200DC0BCD619.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1683775  

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf

Last edited by chuebner; 07-30-2020 at 07:57 AM.
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #5
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 20

[QUOTE=Cougar429;3783931.[/QUOTE]
I am pzzled by the pressure feed from the muffler connected to what appears to be the remote needle. Can you enlighten me please?
Old 07-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #6
Evansdotca
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
It has been a while since ran their engines, but there should be something cast into the head on the left outer cooling fin, (opposite that stylized a in your pic) to show which size. Evolution used that design in several different sizes: 36NT, 40 NT, .46 NT, .61 NT, all the way up to the 1.00. They also came in an NT or NX version. The former was a bit lower performance and had a large flywheel style prop drive washer and came with a rather disappointing 3 blade prop, (throw that away, along with a couple other items to be mentioned later) while the NX sported a more traditional sized to bolt the prop against.

If the 46 it uses a 1/4-28 nut. That is identical to OS and is a National Fine thread. If ordering you would want one that is hardened so will not strip or wear over time. You would also want to run a 10/6 to 10/7 prop, the former being the most likely for the 46. If first flights I normally try to use wood props to protect the engine if things go wrong. In that case the prop will be sacrificed instead of doing damage to the more expensive powerplant.

As for some recommendations: Although heard a lot of negative reports, I came to like these engines. They were relatively strong performers with good power and economy. If any complaint, the modern looks and stronger case design came at a cost in weight. They were a bit heavy for their size, but if your plane needed nose weight that worked for you. The flywheel on the NT added even more, which, IMO, on a engine that put out less power was counterproductive.

The more standard blue anodized drive washer was very soft, and when I loaded them up with a plastic backed spinner it seemed to flex and rub the case nose. Used a metal backed style with less tightening.

They come stock with two limiter rings for the Low Speed and High Speed needles. The first thing you should do is remove them and never see them again. The engine is test run half the globe away in an environment completely different than what it would be exposed to here and the rings limit the amount of adjustment and prevent you from optimizing the mixture settings.

On a final note: If limited experience with IC engines such as this, find a club or local member with more. They can teach you the best and safe methods to get the most out of your plane and engine, along with checking things over for anything amiss.

On that note, where are you located?

ps. I particularly liked their remote HS needle setup and used them often to upgrade other 40 class engines for safety. The second pic shows this mod added to an OS 40 FSR.
Yes it looks exactly like the first picture !
Old 07-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
Evansdotca
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I do need a prop nut so I’ll order the 1/4 by 28

Thank you
Old 07-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
chuebner
Administrator

Radio of choice:
Hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
I am pzzled by the pressure feed from the muffler connected to what appears to be the remote needle. Can you enlighten me please?

I see two separate lines at the back by the firewall.

Forum Rules Link
Old 07-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
Evansdotca
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

[QUOTE=Arceenut;3784003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429;3783931.[/QUOTE
Oh yes I just noticed it too, interesting
Old 07-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #10
chuebner
Administrator

Radio of choice:
Hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansdotca View Post
Oh yes I just noticed it too, interesting
Look very closely, there are two separate lines at the back between the engine and the firewall..... one going to the pressure nipple on the muffler, the second to the remote needle. Eyes can play tricks sometimes.

Forum Rules Link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in