Redline Oil - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
william storzuk
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: William
Radio of choice:
JR28X
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 1
Smile Re: Redline Oil

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Maybe, Mike because they know more about it, apparently then you do!!! You have alot less carbon build up with Redline then Belray, i have tried both.

Last edited by william storzuk; 03-02-2012 at 09:20 AM.
william storzuk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Old School Flyer
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Hanes E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 19
Re: Redline Oil

If CT doesn`t have it.

Marken Performance on Ottawa St has stock of it (in Kitchener), and he will keep stocking it, as long as it sells of course.

and even Rudy Helds (New Hamburg) had some the last time I was there.
Old School Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flyrc View Post
Not worth the effort to chase the stuff down and load up on it. Go to any good motorcycle shop and get either Motul or Belray 2 stroke racing oils. These are high end motorcycle racing oils run in very high output machines. You don't see those guys running Redline oil. Why DA recommends an obscure brand like Redline is beyond me.

Mike
Mike,

That statement is 100% not true. Motor cycles have different requirements than air cooled aircraft engines. Oils used in chainsaws are a better choice than motorbike oils. Have you ever talked to DA? I suggest you call Jeff there and have a conversation with him. He has repaired and rebuilt 1000's of engines and has seen what every oil type does to the insides. It was him that directly quoted that Redline has the least carbon build up of all oils tested. This includes brands you say are no different.

Here is a video from DA Australia talking about this exact statement. I suggest you watch and do some research before you recommend others to use motorcycle oils.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by YoungestPiperCub; 03-02-2012 at 09:50 AM.
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
william storzuk
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: William
Radio of choice:
JR28X
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCUb View Post
Mike,

That statement is 100% not true. Motor cycles have different requirements than air cooled aircraft engines. Oils used in chainsaws are a better choice than motorbike oils. Have you ever talked to DA? I suggest you call Jeff there and have a conversation with him. He has repaired and rebuilt 1000's of engines and has seen what every oil type does to the insides. It was him that directly quoted that Redline has the least carbon build up of all oils tested. This includes brands you say are no different.

Here is a video from DA Australia talking about this exact statement. I suggest you watch and do some research before you recommend others to use motorcycle oils.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Thanks! Kevin, i will second that!!!!
william storzuk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
luv2flyrc
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike B

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCUb View Post
Mike,

That statement is 100% not true. Motor cycles have different requirements than air cooled aircraft engines. Oils used in chainsaws are a better choice than motorbike oils. I suggest you watch and do some research before you recommend others to use motorcycle oils.
No worries Kevin, not trying to offend you or destroy anyones DA or suggesting there is anything wrong with Redline Racing oil, just trying to save you some effort by suggesting there are other good alternatives available locally.

Please accept my apologies and assurance that I'll be careful in making oil recommendations in the future.

I will however; continue to run Motul in my DA's as they seem to like it

BTW, do you think Redline Racing oil was designed for air cooled 2 strokes? Nobody races chainsaws ; It is a motorcycle/ snowmobile/ marine racing oil just like Motul and Belray

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 03-03-2012 at 06:42 AM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

Ok none taken

I dont think it was meant for chainsaws but DA also now says Stihl oil is good for them. I thing it has to do with the torque power cure. Not for high revs like in bikes. It also has to do with carbon. Redline is designed to not leave any behind. Some older engines like to be full of it to run well. (polaris indy lite)
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Old School Flyer
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Hanes E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 19

It mainly has to do with Flash points of the oils.

Redline has a really really low flash point, hence it burns up during ignition process, leaving very little mess.(on fully tuned applications)

in a high reving/hi heat applications keeping the "goo" around during hot prolonged runs is more desirable, so a higher flash point oils are favoured. 7000-8000rpms isn't high reving.... I'm talking like 12000 plus

The Stihl Ultra comes close second for flash point, but still 100 degrees differential if I recall. So redline does take the cake on the low flash point.,

Which is better?... my back ground in the field doesn't qualify me in providing a proper analysis/answer, but using manufacturer recommendation can never hurt.

Happy oiling
Old School Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #18
luv2flyrc
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike B

Total Props: 11

From the Redline website:

"Summary of Two-Cycle Recommendations
Two-Stroke Racing Oil / Two-Cycle Kart Oil (they are both the same chemistry) - for highly modified racing engines which turn high rpms, such as racing motorcycles, karts, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, and highly modified outboards."

Somebody better tell DA that it's not made for a low rpm, air cooled two stroke. lol

All kidding aside, as stated, there are many fine oils in this class at your local bike dealer

i bet if DA tried Motul 800 Off Road, that would be the next flavour of the month

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 03-03-2012 at 10:02 AM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
tskca
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ken Lee
Radio of choice:
JR 28X

Total Props: 4

For those out WEST:

Phoned Lordco this morning, by 2:00 pm they phoned and had the 6 pints I ordered along with my NGK CM6 plugs. They have over 80 pints available at $10 each.
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in