Full Size Electric flight - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #11
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 11
Re: Full Size Electric flight

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialedin View Post
Heard about this too on the radio, pretty neat, owner predicted 10 years before it will be certified for commecial aviation if im remembering that correctly. Cant imagine where battery tech will have gotten in 10 years! I've read that Zenair is also working on their own electric kit aircraft as well pretty neat. Wonder how being all electric would affect hourly operating costs??

(Len S. beat me on this part - smiley)
The electric powered seaplane in the story needs to be certified to carry passengers but that will happen long before 10 years.
The passenger service anticipated for this plane is short (30 minute) flights in the lower B.C. mainland. Btw, the plane is owned by an existing seaplane service and has be extensively modified for electric flight; I don't think the company would interested in maintaining a demo model, not making money, for ten years.

Incidentally, the federal throne speech last Thursday had a sentence saying "the government would be it easier for Canadians to buy emissions-free cars".....I can see the government giving financial incentives for full sized electric flight.

Evidence of change north of Toronto... one of the York Region forest tracts - Hollidge -received upgraded visitor infrastructure in the last year, one of which were a couple of electric charging stations in the public parking area.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
As for batteries ; rather than using negative comments; read the CBC article on why they referred to using NASA type use batteries . No Hobby King stuff in this bird. LOL
What negative comments? I was pointing out the fact that they didn't mention that model aircraft have been using electron power for over fifteen years. That was an interesteting omission.

As for electric flight that is nothing new. Heck, even flite test built an man-carrying electric foamy and yes, it DID use Hobby King batteries .

Now **THAT** is a noteworthy achievement!

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 43

As usual , people read into a statement what they want to read . All I said was (jokingly) that HK batteries not used.... . Ok , back to the future and my original post . The reference to power source was that Harbour used lithium-ion batteries similar to the ones on the space station because of previous testing done and high approval rating even though they do not provide the power to weight of other lithium based battery sources .

The whole electric power source will advance battery technology for commercial use and THAT will eventually filter down to our hobby.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/harbour-air-te...lane-1.4723390

The impact is reaching around the world and less than 18 hrs after the initial flight.
https://airway.com.br/primeiro-aviao...ral-no-canada/

Last edited by stegl; 12-11-2019 at 11:49 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #14
Dialedin
RCC Apprentice

I am: Colin D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6e
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0

Thats my bad, 10 years to a new aircraft, 2 for commercial use. That makes much more sense now that im thinking about it

Aeroscout S trainer
Dialedin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #15
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 17

I think its neat. Was it a Canada first? I wonder how hot the power cables got. When Commercial jets started flying with Lion batteries they got grounded because of fires. I never read where but I can assume the batteries and cables caught fire from the heat generated. Cheers Floyd
floyd is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:42 PM   #16
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

There have been other converted commercial built aircraft that have flown on electrics
previously designed to run on a fueled power plant. And definitely never one on floats so this is as far as we know it; is a first for Canada or even in the world. The electric power plant ( am sure someone will try to correct it) was built in Seattle ( more specifically, Redmond) by a company whose head office is in Australia but owned by an Singapore investment company. How is that for a combination ? The system had previously been well run and tested before installation
in the Harbour Air Beaver.

There have been many pure electric aircraft that were specifically designed to fly on electrics before but not an all aluminum aircraft like this.

Last edited by stegl; 12-11-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #17
g.p.
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg P

Total Props: 7

Although very cool I still don’t see the environmental reasoning behind electric airplanes, motorcycles, or vehicles for that matter. Until batteries can be produced in a more environmentally friendly way (and last longer and be recycled), and the electricity to charge them is produced/delivered in an environmentally neutral way...what have we gained? From what I’ve read it’s questionable if any of our current electric technology is going to be any better for the environment once everything is taken into account.
g.p. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #18
Jon.
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jon A
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 9
To date, electricity hasn’t done anything to improve the environment. It has actually caused more harm than oil products. It’s nice to pretend to help the environment by going electric.. but I don’t think it’ll be a better alternative to oil in my lifetime.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:57 AM   #19
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

The maintenance on brushless is very low in comparison to IC engines and more so on aircraft engines. A year or so ago someone did a more realistic comparison between electric vs fuel vehicles and the fuelled power came out on top by a slight margin . They took into account the initial investment on comparable sized/ features car , cost of replacing batteries and so on.
It’s like diesel vs gas vehicles . Sure ,the mileage may be better on diesel but the maintenance cost is higher , initial investment is higher , cost if fuel may be higher and so on. Gotta look at the big picture. Pros and cons with each.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in