Old 01-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 6
New To Me Cub!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So recently I had purchased a biplane and really liked it. But after taking a few moments, I came to realize that a biplane would probably be a bit much for me at this stage of the game of learning to fly nitro RC planes. So I had decided to try and trade it for something I have always wanted. A Cub. This being good, im my opinion and please correct me if I am wrong, as I get something I have always wanted, and personally think it would be easier to fly than a biplane. So a friend offered up a Sig 1/6 Clipped Wing Cub. It has never seen any nitro as it was built for electrons..... I have a small repair to make on the wing first. It was built with seperate ailerons in each wing half. Also it was originally all covered in fabric and painted, but the wing was redone and covered in film now. The only other thing is that it does not have wing struts on it or built into it. But my friend has flown it with a Power 46 I believe without any problems, so I am not too worried. So now for a bit of repairs and figuring out what engine to put in it. My OS FS-48 Surpass, or a .45 two stroke? Decisions, decisions.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81942970_760326291116196_3830980471479599104_n.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1658289   Click image for larger version

Name:	82024031_809388126172563_4630688358199197696_n.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1658291   Click image for larger version

Name:	82388993_3013644805312612_444093944754601984_n.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1658293  
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 27
Re: New To Me Cub!

If the wing is one piece it will fly just fine minus struts. The OS 48 will fly it scale like and you will enjoy it.
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 32

Yup, better to learn on than the biplane for sure. Dump the 48 four stroke into it. If you want the struts, they would be easy enough to make.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thank you for the recommendations. Not looking for anything crazy, just a fun flier, so after a bench run, I will then put in the FS-48! Just doing a couple of wing repairs right now, followed by removing a warp in the wing as well. Also glad for confirming that this would have been better for me than the biplane. Makes me feel better and more at ease now.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

The 48 will haul that thing around no problem and you'll probably spend most of your time at half throttle.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
Old 01-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #6
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk View Post
If the wing is one piece it will fly just fine minus struts. The OS 48 will fly it scale like and you will enjoy it.
Sorry Frank. I disagree. If I am not mistaken, the SIG cub had a flimsy(and short) plywood main spar and the struts were functional. The wing on the Goldberg Cub, on the other hand is super strong and that one does not need the struts.

If it is indeed the SIG cub, make sure you use the struts.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:06 AM   #7
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Not familiar with the 1/6 design, I did some searching and it's similar to the 1/4 scale version I'm working on and I wouldn't fly the 1/4 scale version without them. Searching online, the general consensus across many forums is that the struts on both the 1/6 and 1/4 scale designs are functional. Short story, fabricate some struts.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:28 AM   #8
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Ok. Thanks for the info on the struts. Unfortunately, it did not come with either the plans or struts, so I will have to try and figure something out for them if I am to build or fabricate them. I was just going by my buddy showing and telling me that it was flown very safely without them. But I would definately like to keep this bird in one piece, so will build them or such if necessary. I just would need to figure out how they look, and also how and where to mount them properly. Looking like I will have to call Sig and see how much for a set of plans. But if memory serves, the plans were not badly priced, but the shipping was a fair amount more. I wish the did the plans in digital format! Thanks again to all for your time and help. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #9
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 39

Regardless of experience level I would recommend adding some contrast to the top of the wing, either stripes or decals. Allows for much a much better idea of orientation in the air.

NOTE: I recommend the wing top as I find most turns have that facing towards you.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
Ok. Thanks for the info on the struts. Unfortunately, it did not come with either the plans or struts, so I will have to try and figure something out for them if I am to build or fabricate them.

It wont be hard to reverse-engineer them if the plywood strut mounts were installed in the wing when it was built. If they are there, then cut some 1mm aluminum or brass strips and them mount them onto the wing mounts and fuselage. Assemble the wings to the fuse and measure the distance between the mounts from the wing-fuse. Cut some dowel to length, cut a slot into the dowel and epoxy the strips onto the ends. Bind with string and paint and you are all set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
I was just going by my buddy showing and telling me that it was flown very safely without them. But I would definately like to keep this bird in one piece, so will build them or such if necessary.
I am surprised it stayed in one piece. If your friend just flew it gently, then I guess that's why the wings stayed on. A steep dive with a hard pull-out at the bottom would have definitely folded the wings.

Check out this picture to see what I mean.
The front and rear spars are just a single piece of plain balsa. The Sig design does not use the stronger method of upper and lower spar with shear webbing.

The only joiner between left and right wing panels is a piece of ply at the very front of the wing. In this picture, it is not installed but it is shown on the drawing at the top right corner of the wing. You can see how short it is within the wing

I'm not sure if you can see on the photo where the strut mounts are. There are 4 in total in each wing panel. 2 are in the same rib box where the aileron bellcrank is mounted. The other 2 are half-way between the root and the aileron bellcrank.
Hopefully they were glued into place when the wing was built.

Good luck, and if you are stuck, ask here. I'm sure there are a lot of cub builders on here. Everyone who has flown RC for any period of time has had a Cub at one time or another

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV

Last edited by Max; 01-12-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typo
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in