why would my prop be STOPPING during flight? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
flyboy2009
RCC Apprentice

I am: joseph g
Radio of choice:
futaba fasst
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Re: why would my prop be STOPPING during flight?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
isn't that something now eh?seems we learn something new every day
flyboy2009 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:47 AM   #12
Carlisler
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Scott B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10

Hey Sean,

yeah, have seen various combinations of setups, and i tend to run the electrics as the gassers.
meaning, with an ignition switch and idle up, on the same switches as for the gas planes.

idle up being just enough to keep the prop turning, and not go to a stopped position.

I still use the 'throttle kill' switch on the Tx as well tho.

even then it still isn't perfectly safe to let down your guard with that plugged in motor.

have lost a couple planes to this idle thing, and seen the damage caused by a throttle stick being bumped at the wrong time. (fyi, by one of the safest pilots i know...)
Carlisler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #13
seanokeefe
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Sean O
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 / Devo 10
# of RCs: 10+

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the message.

I run a throttle-kill on everything, and it triggers a voice message saying on or off.

And, like you, I try to keep as many switch setting in common as possible for all of my planes. And I don't overlap the "extra" features on the other switches, if at all possible.

I have flown this plane a bunch more times with the high idle and I have had no issues. For demonstration purposes, I turn off the "high-idle", and can cause the stalled prop effect within a couple of attempts.

I've seen the aftermath of a couple of bumped throttles on electric planes. I agree that is doesn't take much to have an accident, and it can happen to anyone. Any time.

Sean
seanokeefe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:30 AM   #14
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Sean
Still think it is not in the motor but in the ESC ; if as you say there is nothing physically wrong with the motor. The motor does what it is told by the ESC . Having been running electrics for over 10 years and never have had that happen. But then I run Castle Creations ESC and have only had one fail and that one got dunked in the lake . It failed after the dunking .
I would suggest trying a known working ESC . I doubt that it is the radio /receiver ( including other brands) that would cause the motor brake to come on as that is an ESC function.
Also check your throttle end points and make sure at 100%+- and trim at neutral. Then if the ESC you are using allows a relearn , do that.

Last edited by stegl; 10-29-2019 at 10:38 AM.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #15
seanokeefe
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 / Devo 10

Hi Len,

I'm 100% convinced that it is a ESC / motor / a-synchronous timing issue.

The motor is mechanically just fine. It even got a good cleaning along the way!

As documented, I have have had exactly the same thing happen with two different ESC's. One from Extreme Flight, and the other was an 80A HobbyKing that I happened to have lying around.

I have played with the trim and the re-set the 100%/0% for each configuration. Then I bump up the "high idle" to 6-8%, and that is just enough to get the prop spinning.

With this "high idle", I have the feeling that the ESC is actually "slowing the plane down" on the downline relative to the "free-wheeling" prop. Hard to say that this is actually happening without more telemetry and some "science".

Since the first posting, I have had many "uneventful" downlines with this high-idle setting. It is being put onto all of my planes now.

Sean
Old 10-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #16
Dennis Pedersen
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
NX10SE / Mikado V-Control
# of RCs: Few

Total Props: 51

As for your down line braking it absolutely does. I also have ran an idle switch on my larger electric planes for both reasons you have mentioned. It really helps on down line speed and it really helps the landings. If you have ever had a larger fuel aerobatic plane go dead stick you will realize that they glide really good and fast, this makes it really easy to over shoot your runway if you try for a normal running lang approach. As for your issue I am wondering if there is some type of a fast start activated (odd with 2 different esc's) or else something may be being messed up by voltage feed back from the prop free wheeling?
Dennis Pedersen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

My thoughts are that since there are magnets on the drum and windings inside is that when spinning up , freewheeling so to say , is that there is a voltage generated back into the ESC that is causing it to brake , intermittently ...... I would try a ESC like a Castle Creations and see what happens.

By setting up a “high idle” , you are telling the ESC to drive the motor , not the other way around, resulting in a braking situation.

A plus with The Castle Phoenix and Edge series ESC’s ;you can get in there and reset a high numbers of parameters to match the motors plus there are about a dozen parameters that can be recorded on the ESC/motor operation when in use that can be down loaded after a flight.

Last edited by stegl; 10-29-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #18
seanokeefe
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 / Devo 10

more toys to buy - cool!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:19 AM   #19
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

or you can keep using what seems to be broke.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in