Fun-Key Jet Ranger 700 Sport - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Helicopters Discuss scale helicopters, tips, tricks and scale construction threads

Old 09-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #31
Keyrigger
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Don I.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-18 and iX-12

Total Props: 7
Re: Fun-Key Jet Ranger 700 Sport

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This evening, I made up the new extension tubes this time used a simple paper jig to make sure that the extensions were centered and the gear were the right distance apart. I think I got the positioning a bit more accurate than I did the last time. I will pin the gear tomorrow after work and by the end of the evening, they should be installed and I will be investigating the length of the torque tube. In other news, my friend and I are cooking up some new parts for the landing gear and if they are successful, they will be used on both this build and the other CH-139 build. Because of the change of the scheme, this helicopter will no longer be a Jet Ranger but will become a sport scale CH-139. Who knew??

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 214221.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1689505  
Keyrigger is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:36 PM   #32
Keyrigger
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-18 and iX-12

Here is the first batch of that recipe. Good taste but not quite done, lol.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 221206.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1689755  
Old 09-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #33
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 10

Looking great.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #34
Keyrigger
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-18 and iX-12

Thanks Phil. A second prototype was made up and yesterday we finalized the design. "We" being the fellow that is printing these and me for my input as to what is required. We tried to get these to curve to follow the cross tubes but there are some issues with it. It is not quite centered on the skid tube so it pushes the gear width out a bit. The final version will be shorter front and back plus it will be shorter in height. The design of these are done so that the cross tube will rest on the skid tube allowing direct bonding and with 27 small screws holding it plus the Hysol, the skids are going nowhere. Here are a couple of closeups to show the difference. If you don't see any, I can understand that. We also felt that the material will be thicker and contain CF fibers for strength. Take care.

Don

PS: The first picture is Vs.2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 212724.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1690115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 212734.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1690117  
Old 09-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #35
BillyR
RCC Noob

I am: Billy Rowein
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

I want one.
BillyR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:43 PM   #36
Keyrigger
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-18 and iX-12

The pre-painted bodies and unpainted kits are available from Leisure Tech. Phil gives very good service.

Don
Old 09-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #37
Keyrigger
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-18 and iX-12

For the past couple of days, I have been tied up at work and dead tired when I get home. Today, however, I picked up version 3 of the skid saddles. These are half again as thick as V1 and are pretty much final size aside from final sanding and filling of the printing steps. With just a small bit of trimming for the curvature of the cross tubes, they fit very snugly on the cross tubes and the assembly sit right down on top of the skid pipes. I did some figuring out of the full length skid protectors and as best as I can make it (teaches me for not taking a measuring tape to Portage La Prairie 6 years ago. Wow, I can't believe how fast time seems to pass now), the bear paw portion is 1.75" wide and 3.85: long with an overall length of about 17.385". I hope to pick up the metal tomorrow or Friday after work. Take care.

Don

PS: The pictured order is V2, V1, and V3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 192243.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1690347  

Last edited by Keyrigger; 09-16-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #38
Keyrigger
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-18 and iX-12

I pulled some good quality sanding time yesterday in preparation for assembling the gear with Hysol. It is rather astounding how much time it takes to get the layer lines removed from these parts and like my friend said, they will be a bit fuzzy until they are primed and painted. The plan is to use screws to back up Hysol to hold the saddles to the cross tubes and skid tubes but the full size uses 18 rather large rivets and 9 even larger Phillips head screws. I think I can really get away with a total of 8 screws on each saddle and I can create the rest with a rivet kit. I will save the extra 59 screws until I build the 518 version, lol. I also flubbed the thickness of the full length skid protectors and how wide they really need to be. Another 30 dollars in the circular file, sigh. This is the gear as they appear now and I tested them out this afternoon in flight. They worked and looked great. Now to get the skid protectors underway. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 195525.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1690911  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in