MAC Magazine and MAAC AGM cancelled - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

I am: Bru D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
MAC Magazine and MAAC AGM cancelled

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Got my copy of the MAC magazine today and saw the announcement that the venue for this year's AGM had cancelled out of holding the event.

Not going to wade in and make only a general comment about using the same technology that lots of companies are using for regular meetings and event: hosting the meeting in an online medium such as Skype, MIcrosoft Teams or Zoom.

Hoping that the Board and other people in MAAC have already thought of this.
DarthAnal is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 187
Re: MAC Magazine and MAAC AGM issues

Zoom is a paradigm shift that new adopters are taking full advantage of. My work requires a lot of travel, a lot of it overseas.
Since the march lockdown, work meetings with ZOOM has been a godsend. My meetings are as effective in ZOOM as they are in person. Only now I spend more time at home and less time in hotel rooms. I still travel, but not as much, preferring to do ZOOM meetings as often as I can.

Also for our club meetings, we have held them on ZOOM in the spring right up to our summer recess. I can see how ZOOM might replace our meetings in the dead of winter. Maybe not all of them, but I can see every other one on ZOOM.

The DNC had their convention on ZOOM. (please, no comments on DNC or politics!, I'm just pointing out that they did it)

I don't see why MAAC cant do it for the AGM. It might actually raise the attendance and give those that cant bother with making the trip to the AGM a chance to attend. They would finally be able to get a peek at how good (or bad) these meetings can be.

I hope people of MAAC are seeing this and take it into consideration.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post

I don't see why MAAC cant do it for the AGM. It might actually raise the attendance and give those that cant bother with making the trip to the AGM a chance to attend. They would finally be able to get a peek at how good (or bad) these meetings can be..

I agree
Mike Sebastien is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
Propworn
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 23
Re: MAC Magazine and MAAC AGM cancelled

Really what is the point the actual AGM meeting is just for show anyways. Everything on the agenda has been voted on and decided by the board. You cannot introduce anything at the show time it has to be brought forward from your AZM to be considered.

Each ZD carries the votes of the members of his zone minus any proxies or any members in attendance. That still leaves him with a broad majority for his zone. In the meetings of the board prior to the show time everything is voted on and decided by the zone directors. The AGM is strictly for show for those who would like to attend. Yes there is voting but the Zone Directors already know what the outcome will be regardless of the proxies and those in attendance.

I stopped attending the AGM's when they were conveniently close by after it was determined no new input was allowed from the floor of the AGM. My attendance as a spectator wasn't the reason to go. I can read about it in the magazine later.

I'd be more concerned over the latest received from MAAC re the response to part 9 of the Transport Canada rules re our modeling organization. The new competency documents and requirements each club will have to produce for each member as a student, pilot or instructor. My first read is if you happen to take a year off of being a paid up member you have to pass a new competency test. I know guys who pay up but have not flown in 3 years but because they are paid up members there appears to be no competency test. From the sounds of it there is some sort of written part as well. This is not a requirement of Transport Canada but a requirement from MAAC.

Club executives and members need to read through this stuff everything before that encouraged the member to follow best practices and safety guideline have now become mandatory along with a few new twists and wrinkles including being suspended from MAAC for any infractions.

This is what I get from a quick read through the documents sent to me via the latest email. Note that all document files with the prefix MSD are mandatory.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 09-04-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Propworn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
Morison
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 19

I am fairly certain that the executive and constitution committee are examining ways allow remote attendance at AGMs. That said, it isn't as easy as having the will to do so as there are some standards set by Corporations Canada, one being that there still must be a physical meeting. (This may change, but for the moment their guidance regarding COVID-19 precautions still includes at least some people meeting in person.)

Quote:
Zoom is a paradigm shift that new adopters are taking full advantage of.
Not really. There have been similar, just as effective, video conferencing systems in use for over a decade. Zoom has just done some good work with UI, mobile device integration, and marketing. That said, it is a good platform that has been well adopted and easy to use.

Quote:
I don't see why MAAC cant do it for the AGM. It might actually raise the attendance and give those that cant bother with making the trip to the AGM a chance to attend. They would finally be able to get a peek at how good (or bad) these meetings can be.
If you've ever been on a zoom call with more than a dozen active participants... you'll understand the limitations. As a 'show' it has promise. For a large meeting, it has a ton of technical issues to be overcome.

Quote:
I hope people of MAAC are seeing this and take it into consideration.
As mentioned above, I am virtually certain they are looking into this, but not sure where it sits on their list of priorities.
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
Morison
RCC Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
My first read is if you happen to take a year off of being a paid up member you have to pass a new competency test.
Other than the bureaucracy, wouldn't you hope that anyone on the field would be able to pass a competency test at any given time?
The competency test is also simple, from what I see in MSD 25

Also:
6.2 A club has the discretion to upgrade or downgrade their club member between “student” and “qualified pilot” designation, regardless of continuous membership years, as circumstances dictate.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
Propworn
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morison View Post
Other than the bureaucracy, wouldn't you hope that anyone on the field would be able to pass a competency test at any given time?
The competency test is also simple, from what I see in MSD 25
Read the rest of it Keith the part about comparing this to a member who has paid the last three years but has not flown needs not take a competency test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morison View Post
Also:
6.2 A club has the discretion to upgrade or downgrade their club member between “student” and “qualified pilot” designation, regardless of continuous membership years, as circumstances dictate.
Keith the club has always had the discretion to have a pilot fly with an instructor or spotter for safety and even a refresher on the buddy box but an official change in designation??? Can you see the difference? In the past as an instructor I have approached a fellow flyer who has come back to the hobby and suggested I stand with him in case he needs a second set of eyes or help during his flight. Now someone is going to tell that same person he no longer has his wings and he's back to student. They don't even do that with full size. You may be required to take several check flights but there is no degradation to student pilot. I know pilots who own their own who haven't flow for an extended period of time who climb in and go flying without having to be the student all over again.

Dennis
Propworn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #8
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 33

The board of directors does use Go to Meeting and it is a fabulous tool. As far as a virtual or online AGM, one of the issues is 10000. How do we manage a membership of 10000 so all can communicate with each other clearly and easily? Online meetings I attend are in the 10 to 20 range. Who here attends a 10000 member online meeting?
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channel,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #9
Sharpy01
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 94

... where to start?

AGM: ... online meeting that makes provisions for all members to attend? Impossible. Yes, barely any members attend the physical meeting, but until they change the federal rules..... it is what it is. Nuff said.

MAAC Safety Code - WOW! ... Ladies and Gentlemen, you should be providing a great big thanks to the B.O.D. and the Safety Advisory Committee for the very well done updates to all MAAC's Safety Documents. Incredible job that was long overdue.

EVERY Member has the legal responsibility to go and read and understand our Safety Code and related documents and these updates have done an amazing job of clearing the smoke on a lot of our do's and don'ts.

Go to the MAAC documents section, under "Advisory Group - Safety" and start with the top document and begin working your way through.

https://www.maac.ca/en/documents.php

..or, go straight to the "retrieval key" document link and click on all the "X's" that apply to what you fly:

https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=34

Background:

Although our "old" documents and Safety record won us the Exemption, maintaining that exemption with the constant turnover of T.C. bureaucrats critically needed updated documentation and some very important holes filled.

Terrific job Safety Committee on Splainin and clarifying everything from field layouts, to airspace requirements. (Extra special thanks to your Airspace Expert, "HepDog" and all the hours that went into those.) .... its a job nobody wanted to tackle.

Those are the documents that the government bureaucrats head for when they are trying to justify our Exemption to the ever changing elite bureaucrats and the Minister of Transport. Yes, that's how important this shite is.

The 800 lb gorilla in the room was condition No. 10 in our exemption:

10. The member of MAAC shall not operate a RPAS unless the member has successfully
demonstrated to a person delegated by MAAC in accordance with MAAC’s rules,
procedures, and safety guidelines that the member has sufficient knowledge and experience
to control the RPAS in a safe and competent manner unless in the case where the member is
under the direct supervision of a qualified MAAC instructor;

...... That condition was copied directly from OUR Safety code documentation! .... with a slight problem of compliance: MAAC had never defined what a "qualified MAAC instructor" was ...... what "successfully demonstated" meant....... what "control the RPAS in as safe competent manner" meant .... or how to document any of that!!?!?

The challenge was to get something on paper that was basic, met minimum requirements of the exemption, kept all control within our club structure, didn't require a some kind of written exam, provided all required documents to the student, included a flexible method to "grandfather" current members, didn't leave MAAC with some overreaching process that the organization had no hope of managing and clearly leaves the responsibility to do their due diligence on the individual member, where it belongs.

Holy Crap, read it! Nevermind getting tangled in another conspiracy theory, Tell me how it gets any simpler than this? ..... and the Checklist for the Instructor takes any of the guesswork out of it...

https://secure.maac.ca/get_document.php?document_id=590

The reality of establishing a minimum competency to satisfy T.C. and our exemption obligations is NOT about scoring how round loops are, or if a roll was axial ...... T.C., at the very base skill-set wants to know that members do their best to check and know their RPAS is airworthy, and can control the aircraft, barring unexpected gremlins, and keep in the area it is supposed to fly in...... That's it.

The door is left wide open to clubs / disciplines that wish to impose additional requirements on their members, but from a national / Exemption standpoint, it covers the basics, which was desperately needed to meet our Exemption requirements.

..... wow.... the accomplishments of this B.O.D. and it's leadership has been nothing short of incredible in recent years. Good bloody Show folks.

IMHO

Last edited by Sharpy01; 09-05-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #10
Morison
RCC Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
...I have approached a fellow flyer who has come back to the hobby and suggested I stand with him in case he needs a second set of eyes or help during his flight. Now someone is going to tell that same person he no longer has his wings and he's back to student.
You're reading far too much into the document. Have a look at what the proficiency test is... it's a far cry from basic wings qualification...

I've said it before... nobody should be offended or afraid of being asked to show competency either after some time away from the hobby or when flying at a different club/field where you aren't known.

As Mark says... this is a good thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in