DW_Crash
RCC Contributor

I am: Dave K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics / Aristocraft-Polks
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 0
Perfect Paints.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello All,

In the past, I used Perfect Paint to paint my scale warbirds. It was great stuff. Does anyone know if they are still around? If not, what do you all use instead of Perfect Paints?

Perfect was great that it had scale paint colors for warbirds. Made it easy to get a great look.

dave

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
Lake Flyer
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: To

Total Props: 1
Re: Perfect Paints.

Boy your dating yourself, you must be really old! . I have never used these but I hear good things about their product. https://warbirdcolors.com/
Lake Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:22 AM   #3
DW_Crash
RCC Contributor

I am: Dave K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics / Aristocraft-Polks
# of RCs: 25+

Dave,

I have been at this since I was a kid in 1979. Back then, we built airplanes from a pile of sticks. They were covered in silkspan then doped. Later, we had monokote. In the beginning we had wood glue....then epoxy...then someone invented CA...haHoo. ARFs came years later. The first were foam board and cheap plywood. Looked good with zero durability.

thanks for the tip on warbird colors.
dave

Old 10-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW_Crash View Post
Dave,

I have been at this since I was a kid in 1979. Back then, we built airplanes from a pile of sticks. They were covered in silkspan then doped. Later, we had monokote. In the beginning we had wood glue....then epoxy...then someone invented CA...haHoo. ARFs came years later. The first were foam board and cheap plywood. Looked good with zero durability.

thanks for the tip on warbird colors.
dave
Wow I must be old too, I remember all that . The foam board planes were Easy kits . War bird colors work great ..
Old 10-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
Sandy
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Sandy M

Total Props: 5

If your war birds are gas powered, just use exterior latex house paint. Works a treat and most shops can mix the exact colour you want.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 39

Yup ca glue came out in the mid 70’s and sold under the name of Hot Stuff by Satellite City which is still sold by Lee Valley . It had a light blue colour and was very unstable as it had a fairly short shelf life once opened. The screw on tip was dipped in wax to keep it sealed from moisture .
The blue colour was used so you could see were the glue was put as it was not cheap.
Another great fuel proof epoxy paint is Klass Kote if you can find a supplier. They make a whole list of warbird
colours.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
aquila
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Jeremy J

Total Props: 43

Actually CA was invented in 1942, I don't remember the fellows name but he invented it by accident when trying to make a new clear plastic gun sight. He didn't see it as a viable product until 1951 when he was supervisor on a project that required a strong heat resistant adhesive for jet canopies. It was put on the commercial market in 1958.
It was also used in the Vietnam war to help close wounds on soldiers being transported to medical care.
Your tidbit of useless information today.
aquila is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 39

Now back to paints ..... Jeremy you are definitely a pro at this... any up to date recommendations to help Dave K. out . Thanks.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
ByronF
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ByronF

Unfortunately Perfect Paints are not around anymore. They certainly were great paints. And they were foam safe as well.
These days if you fly electric foamies latex house paint from HD or Lowes does the trick. My experience is that these are considerably better than the acrylic craft paints you get at Michaels.
For fuel planes some folks Use Tamiya or Testors or Model Masters paint but the containers are small and it gets expensive to finish a large planes.
I still have a small inventory of Perfect Paints (unopened) if you are interested.
Byon
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
Sandy
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Sandy M

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Actually CA was invented in 1942, I don't remember the fellows name but he invented it by accident when trying to make a new clear plastic gun sight. He didn't see it as a viable product until 1951 when he was supervisor on a project that required a strong heat resistant adhesive for jet canopies. It was put on the commercial market in 1958.
It was also used in the Vietnam war to help close wounds on soldiers being transported to medical care.
Your tidbit of useless information today.
Thanks Jeremy....I noticed that post but was away and couldn't get in my reply. I know it was in use in '65 in Asia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in