Popular Mechanics PM Bee... 1980 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 12
Popular Mechanics PM Bee... 1980

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Back in 1980 when I was 9, I sent in a card to get one free issue of Popular Mechanics hardcover encyclopedia.

I had just started into the hobby a few years earlier with a Cox rtf control line trainer, and I was trying to build a few stick and tissue rubber kits. My father (who ran a woodworking shop) also bought me some balsa and cut it up into sheets and strips for me to try some building.

When I received the 1st (and only) issue of the book, I was absolutely thrilled to see some model airplane articles - including this 5 page build by Howard McEntee on the “PM Bee” - a CO2 powered balsa and tissue model for single channel RC.

I scaled up the plans (which were printed 1/2 size in the book) and built the model, I still remember painting it blue with Testors model paint... I also recall sending a letter to both Bill Brown, and Ace RC - only to find out that the cost of the CO2 motor and the Ace rudder only set were so far beyond what I could afford (remember I was 9, in 1980 lol)

I took the Cox .049 out of the plastic plane and thought I could fit it into the Bee, but even at 9 yrs old I knew it wasn’t going to work, as the engine was huge compared to the approx 24” WS model and I didnt have a radio anyhow.

Fast forward to 2019... I was looking through some plans and found my copy of the book. I also have a Gmot 120 still NIP with the charger and a box of soda bulbs, from my dabbling into CO2 power several years ago. I think the 120 would be great for the PM Bee, as it is designed for models in the 24” WS range.

I really need to re draw the plans or get them blown up and build this thing again.

I just made a trade for an Ace pulse commander set! I’d love to build it again and actually get to fly it.

Hard to believe this is approaching 40 years ago this fall...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7312621E-1A2B-4236-B16D-ECEF9B323853_zpsw2mxqtlk.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1620133   Click image for larger version

Name:	55BC67D6-F499-40D6-99BE-91CAC1B60F36_zpsp7ihsbuo.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1620135   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABAF42FF-F24B-4F63-873C-1B4F1F52BCCB_zpsofi73jxj.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1620137   Click image for larger version

Name:	8CCBE4E5-9E6D-4B9C-8E73-F11EC75C9A1D_zpsofz5uldr.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1620139  

Name:	BD582902-349A-47B6-91CD-542D6D7088FB_zpsqo0nzdri.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1620141   Click image for larger version

Name:	762C3E94-012A-4AEF-9BA8-CD047201EDA8_zpsdh0w3lez.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1620143  
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
cessna180
RCC Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Re: Popular Mechanics PM Bee... 1980

This takes me back in time, a great article and story. In1955 I attended my first of 3 Air Cadet camps air Sea Island Airport Vancouver BC. One of the projects was to build a model aircraft. I built a cox.049 control line plane that looked like a jet. My dream to be a jet pilot, came true. I wish I still had a photo.
Now 64 years later and after a lifetime of RC, full size, from lite aircraft to commercial jets I am still aeroplaning. Just finishing a 1/3 scale Clipped Wing Cub getting ready for paint.
Follow your dream and never give up.
Michael
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #3
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna180 View Post
This takes me back in time, a great article and story. In1955 I attended my first of 3 Air Cadet camps air Sea Island Airport Vancouver BC. One of the projects was to build a model aircraft. I built a cox.049 control line plane that looked like a jet. My dream to be a jet pilot, came true. I wish I still had a photo.
Now 64 years later and after a lifetime of RC, full size, from lite aircraft to commercial jets I am still aeroplaning. Just finishing a 1/3 scale Clipped Wing Cub getting ready for paint.
Follow your dream and never give up.
Michael
That’s a great story! I love things like that. This hobby is very meaningful to me for many reasons, not just something to kill time. Everything I do reminds me of the past my mentors and friends and all the fun I’ve had in my time in the hobby. And, I’m just a “younger” guy in the hobby yet!

My avatar is the earliest photo I have of my modelling exploits. I’m on the right. That’s a scratch built RCM “Hornet”, a two channel plane I was stupidly trying to fly with rudder/elevator - instead of the ailerons and elevator it was designed for. With a flat wing, I didnt have a chance. With the over weight Kraft radio, and underpowered Cox Golden Bee .049, it was a lot of fun trying but not much success in the flying part. I had better luck a few years after, when I was 15 or 16, with an older Futaba radio (4 channel) and a OS .10 engine with throttle. I bought a used Pilot .15 size trainer and flew it pretty well for teaching myself.

Memories! That’s what the hobby is about to me. I appreciate your post.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 170

Hey Andrew. Great project. I too can relate the PM inspiring me.

Only I had the older version of PM. As a matter of fact, besides the "teenagers" flying CL at our local school when I was just starting elementary school, I am sure the first model planes I ever came across were also what I first encountered in PM. A couple of years later I discovered the local library carried copies of Model Airplane News and I was hooked (for life, apparently )

I still have those old PM books. The model I recall the most was the hoop-skirt model. (I think that is what it was called). It had a round wing in the shape of a barrel that went AROUND the fuselage. It looked so cool and the picture in the book had one in flight.

I'm pretty sure I have those old PM books kicking around. I'll have to pull it someday and post a pic here

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Hey Andrew. Great project. I too can relate the PM inspiring me.

Only I had the older version of PM. As a matter of fact, besides the "teenagers" flying CL at our local school when I was just starting elementary school, I am sure the first model planes I ever came across were also what I first encountered in PM. A couple of years later I discovered the local library carried copies of Model Airplane News and I was hooked (for life, apparently )

I still have those old PM books. The model I recall the most was the hoop-skirt model. (I think that is what it was called). It had a round wing in the shape of a barrel that went AROUND the fuselage. It looked so cool and the picture in the book had one in flight.

I'm pretty sure I have those old PM books kicking around. I'll have to pull it someday and post a pic here
I have the issue with the hoop skirt - it was a Roy Clough Jr design. But that was an earlier copy of the encyclopedia and it was given to me by a friend. Some neat stuff in there for sure!

Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Look what arrived in the mail today!!

And I enlarged the plans...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04C4D0C7-05F0-48AE-8DF7-85143BDDC85F_zpsch5kp2x4.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1620933   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0849FEA-3A3C-48C3-85BF-CE355A9AADE6_zpseioe7roy.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1620935   Click image for larger version

Name:	B87306A4-34C2-46FA-85F4-1D9E28EA0001_zpscfjyfhf8.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1620937  

Old 03-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
cessna180
RCC Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

I think the actuator was called an escapement. Or was the escapement before the actuator. I remember the escapement was powered by wound rubber strands much like a prop on a rubber powered model. There must have been an electrical connection to the escapement. I think the command was a pulse for a right turn and 2 pulses for a left turn. That was a long time ago, maybe someone else can comment or correct me.
Michael
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna180 View Post
I think the actuator was called an escapement. Or was the escapement before the actuator. I remember the escapement was powered by wound rubber strands much like a prop on a rubber powered model. There must have been an electrical connection to the escapement. I think the command was a pulse for a right turn and 2 pulses for a left turn. That was a long time ago, maybe someone else can comment or correct me.
Michael
These have an actuator - basically an electromagnet if I understand it, and it makes the control flip back and forth.

Escapements were the rubber band wound up things (thats about as much as I know since Ive never used one, just read about them in the older magazines).

The pulse commander uses the back and forth motion of the actuator biased to the left or right to control the direction. Even though the rudder is constantly wagging, in concert with the transmitter control, it will wag more off to one side or the other so you get proportional directional control.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

With a new 250 mAh nicd flight pack, and the transmitter rewired to accept a modern size 9V battery... itís working!! State of the art lol.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
NEW222
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 3

If that goes like that throughout the whole flight on the flight surface, them hinges must be darn good! That's a lot of twitching. Wow, and neat all at the same time!
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in