Best Glow Plug OS AX 75: 7, 8, 10? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 07-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #41
hk4fvj
RCC Apprentice

I am: Al M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0
Re: Best Glow Plug OS AX 75: 7, 8, 10?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow-man View Post
I bought two sleeve at Towerhobbies. At that time I could get just the sleeve for 75$US. For some reason they sell the sleeve and piston for the 75AX. If you still want that engine, just get it. I own 2 55AX, 2 95AX and one 120AX. I do not know exactly why the 95s started to give me problems, but I did all the tricks talked about above and it would dead stick on me, but seemed to run great on the ground and have compression. Actually now that I think about it. I would use OS 7 glow plugs. I still do on one of them. What it does is smooth the engine at low rpm. The AX family have a tendency to vibrate at low to middle rpm. Anyway what I noticed, is when I installed a new glow plug, I would get about 3 flights before starting to flame out. When it did flame out I could see the prop windmill. It would loose all compression. I was an expert at dead sticks. That summer I landed about 10 dead stick with my T 28 with bent fix gear at its worst. What I have notice is my engine would destroy my glow plug element. It was visible to the eye. That is when I really realized it had nothing to do with adjusting my carb, shimming the head or what ever trick I was told. It is possible I may have over heated my engine at one point before all this started because I did not properly air cool them. That was when I was trying to keep the cowl scale. However they did not show signs of failing till later. I know it sucks to put more money on what should last longer. In my case I love those engines. They run like a clock. When I go fly at the field I do not have time to fool around with stuff. It has to be start and go. I am a busy family man. Except for that event I just talked about. The OS AX family engines have gave reliable fun.
Oooyaaa! Next thing is after I changed the piston sleeves I always used the stock exhaust. Simply because perhaps using other types of after market brands might have cause my problems. I cannot say for sure. Below is an old video of my Spitfire with a new OS 95AX at the time with custom exhaust. Enjoy the story.
https://youtu.be/AdtwBGbmceQ
And this is how all this started. Dead sticks. The engine works OK on the workbench but dies airbone. Different plugs even OS#7 and the problem remains. Tried different fuels, nada. I have never seen the flame out but the problem is still annoying.
Nice video. Sorry for your plane.
hk4fvj is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #42
hk4fvj
RCC Apprentice

I am: Al M
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0
Re: Best Glow Plug OS AX 75: 7, 8, 10?

Finally got one member of my club to look after. The guy reviewed the exhaust oil colour, he said it was OK as I am using castor/synthetic fuel at 15%.

Added a new OS 8 plug, the guy just barely rotated the idle needle, bingo. Now it is like new. I guess it is a matter of educating the hearing to understand exactly when the engine is fine or under stress.
hk4fvj is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in