Looking For Advice After 10-year Hiatus - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Looking For Advice After 10-year Hiatus

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello Folks,

My name is Ben and I used to hang around this forum a lot a decade ago.

Then kids happened!

Well, my oldest is now 9 and he is wondering what all those things Dad has hanging in the basement are for. I don't have any airframes that resemble a trainer, so I'm thinking I need to build or buy something.

I have a ton of gear that has been sitting for a decade. Glow engines, gas engines, radio, and lots of parts. Many of the glow engines now have the carb barrel stuck from sitting. Is there any trick to getting these freed up? I could try a soak in WD-40 but that's all I can think of. None of the pistons are seized, so it would be a shame to throw them out due to the carb.

I used to build SPAD airplanes, so I'm considering a SPAD trainer so that it won't hurt when it inevitably crashes. Are SPADs still a thing?

I'm assuming that a new battery will bring my old JR radio back to life. I will need to have a second transmitter if I am to train my son. A decade ago some folks had luck replacing the 9.6V NiCd batteries in the transmitter with a 11.1v LiPo. Any words of caution before doing so? My transmitter is a JR 7202.

I will also need new batteries for my planes. I believe that people were replacing the 4.8V NiCd's with a LiPo and some sort of transformer that would step the voltage down. Is that a thing? Back then I ordered a heap of cheap stuff from Hobby King in China - where are people getting supplies today?

Sorry for sounding like I just stepped out of a time machine. I flew almost exclusively by myself back in the day, so I don't know anyone in the hobby to bring me up to speed.

If anyone is in the Tillsonburg Ontario area and wants to sell a beat up trainer or a cheap transmitter, let me know.

Cheers,
Ben

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 46
Re: Looking For Advice After 10-year Hiatus

I find the best way to free the carb is to remove it and heat it with a heat gun , be sure to remove all plastic parts and don't get it too hot but you will find as soon as it gets warm it with free up . Once you get it apart you can give it a good cleaning . I would use a liFe battery for the transmitter because they have a slightly lower voltage, closer to the factory battery . For the receiver you can use A123 batteries they also have lower voltage then the lipo and do not need regulators .
Old 07-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 15

Is your radio legal?

Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 68

Hey Ben, Frank Klenk is in Tillsonburg and has a garage full of stuff that can help you out. Cheap too!
Send him a PM.

Bill

Last edited by williame3590; 07-16-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spell
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
lazyace
RCC Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 7

I second Frank Klenk he's knowledgeable and a collector of old engines. If anyone can assist you in freeing up those carbs hes the man. He disposes of estate sales so may have a trainer just up your alley. A hell of a nice guy should be able to steer you in a good direction to get started again and include your son.

Dennis
lazyace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 38

Another push for Frank on the possibility of finding something useful in planes, hardware or even just advice.

As for resurrecting stored or older gear, lots of different considerations. In the case of freeing up old engines, the best way is to soak them in straight methanol, (the major part of the original fuel) as it is available in any paint department and less expensive than fuel. Just be patient.

It may be prudent to open the rear cover on the engines. It allows the methanol better access, a better chance to rinse out any contaminants, but just as important, gives you a view to see if any corrosion or damage to the sleeve. A ringed engine may need to come apart further to ensure the ring is free. If not it can cause issues even in the first few spins.

You may also want to go through the fuel system. Old fuel and lube can congeal or harden there same as inside an engine, to act as any other solid contaminant if allowed to loosen and enter fresh fuel. Old lines can harden, as well, preventing the clunk from adequately following gravity and fuel source.

I sincerely hope you stored your craft and Tx with the batteries unplugged. Old NiCad and NiMH can cause what we call "Black Wire Disease". This corrosion is the same as what you would see in an old battery if left for too long in a device.

Unfortunately it can be hidden by the black wire insulation, switch covers or servo plugs. You may be able to power the system up, but under load it falls short and can cause failure. Believe me, seen this a lot on improperly stored gear. Longer extensions and greater number of plugs, connections add to the effect.

I have been upgrading older craft, radios and all new builds get LiFE packs. The advantages are many over the older tech in that they are much lighter, yet have larger capacity and output current availability. They do not suffer the self discharge or memory and are able to fully rewind in literally minutes.

Only disadvantage is they are not compatible with older battery monitoring systems, including those in the Tx itself. Not really that bad as I can fly an entire day on one 1500 mAh Tx pack.

The difference in tech over the last decade is also quite dramatic. May be best to join a local club where members can showcase some of it and allow you exposure with lower risk of purchasing it first.

All this may sound much more intimidating than it is. It can be done, just needs a bit more care to ensure a safe end result. The Seamaster in the pic was built in '86 and stored for 20+ years in my office while life and career got in the way. Now back up flying with latest upgrade being a swap to LiFE as mentioned, and a Saito 56 to have it follow the rest of the fleet into 4-stroke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DigitalCameraTransfer 977.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1,004.3 KB
ID:	1637857  
Old 07-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
tommy321
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Tom Hastie
Radio of choice:
Anything 72MHz
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
Is your radio legal?
Legal? Unless it's a pre-1991 wideband radio, it's legal.

I still fly all my giant scale stuff on Channel 50, My module has the "1991 Narrow Band" sticker on it... so I'm good to go!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YD57pZsoY9TZBbcf7

Best part is... no frequency conflicts!

Tom
tommy321 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the information folks!

I think I met Frank at the Otterville club many moons ago. I might give him a call.

Yes, 72MHz gear is still legal to the best of my knowledge. A quick google search shows lots of people using them.

All of my batteries were pulled and engines oiled before they were stored. If I had have oiled them annually, I don't think they would have frozen up but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm not interested in spending a bunch of money on new gear as I'm sure all the old stuff still works fine (ie. electronics). Like I said I was a SPAD guy back in the day so if you know what SPAD airplanes are, you will know that they are built around folks who want to fly cheaply and don't take things too seriously!!

I'll get some new batteries and see whether my old gear fires up. If that works out I'll get some fuel and maybe build up a SPAD for my young boy.

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 15

Before you go spending a lot of money on fancy batteries, charge everything up and see if it comes up to full voltage. You can cut the bad batterie packs apart and replace the bad cells. If you canvas the local club you will probably come up a bucket full of batteries with a few good cells in them. Those fancy new batteries have to come with a fancy new charger. All this stuff is not cheap. There is nothing wrong with nicads, they work fine. A good source of batteries is "Only Batteries " in quebec.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 38

Even if you wan to stay with NiMH Stegl here on RCC that builds up new.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/member.php?u=25497

Note: He does the same for A123 packs and I have taken advantage of that a few times.

There is nothing wrong with 72 MHz and I stayed with them until the shorter antenna on 2.4 worked better for scale appearance.

In fact, it may be even better now with many going over to the newer tech. Don't forget, there was at least 40 years of development and the only disadvantage I encountered was the need for a freq board to ensure two or more weren't on the same channel.

I have lots of 72 gear will be listing soon. One of my fave receivers was the Berg line as they were auto shift with programmable failsafes and channel assignments. Much smaller, lighter and less expensive than may legacy boxes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in