Aviation Photography 101 - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #51
Park
RCC Apprentice

I am: William B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0
Re: Aviation Photography 101

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks everyone - excellent information, obviously from people who really know how to DO IT (witness the phots included). My bag is Canon Rebel T4i, nice but not top end, and I'm now inspired to get out there nce again with it, once COVID restrictions are lifted around in my area (Durham region).

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #52
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 19

No doubt many of us want to get back out there and do our thing whether it be to fly or to photograph what's flying. As a Canon shooter I have been asked to set up a few different models of the Rebel series camera bodies & I can say they can do the job nicely but at a slower frame rate than higher priced models. Before you think about upgrading the body it may be wiser to think about just what you'd like to capture & what lenses will be needed. Camera manufacturers & 3rd party lens makers offer a huge variety of lenses these days & many people shop by price rather than specific lens specs. Shooting action (a flying model aircraft) depends on a few factors that aren't considered by lens tests conducted by review sites. Lens sharpness is important but in action photography a fast Auto Focus mechanism & Panning style Image Stabilizer (some lenses have IS (or VR etc) that must be turned off when panning & if it isn't it will cause blurred photos.
Action like this is best done hand held using a smooth panning motion & a zoom lens that again may get poor reviews using the old theory that they are a compromise trying to do the work of multiple focal length lenses. Worse yet "Superzooms" (lenses ranging in the 10:1 & up range like an 18-200mm or so) instantly get thought of that way yet they have evolved into very useful tools in this field of photography. We have planes taking off & landing, doing low passes as well as others in other areas of the circuit & the only way to get photos of all of them easily is with a superzoom lens.
Without knowing what lenses you have it might be good to think about them before upgrading the body but at the same time we all have a budget which dictates what we can afford & if you're already spending money of this hobby Photography may be lower on the priority list. Photography is my main hobby plus while I was working I used it in my day job & could write off some of the costs. Photography also let me combine two great hobbies and make a lot of new friends in this hobby.

PS if you're a Facebook user you can find lots more of my event photos here.

https://www.facebook.com/lar.ing.14/photos_albums
Old 05-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #53
Park
RCC Apprentice

I am: William B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0

Cicopo: Thanks for your detailed response and recommendations. I'm staying with my current gear for now, because I think that what I need first is a refresher on techniques, and practice! Until I max out ME I won't be upgrading my camera gear. I really would like to get my "ME body" upgraded though. LOL. Maybe I'll stand beside 401 and practice shooting "flying" objects (getting sharp bodies with wheels slightly blurred. Further away than with model aircraft, and No background clouds. )

Old 05-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #54
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 19

You have the perfect plan there. Panning has far more to do with this than most realize. It's like the golf swing teacher telling the student to follow through after hitting the ball. I always had trouble for the first event (or even 2) getting back into a really smooth pan after hiding indoors during winter.
As for a lens upgrade you have a lot more choices now than when I wrote the article. Things have really progressed in the Zoom lens line up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in