Fun-Key Jet Ranger 700 Sport - Page 17 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Helicopters Discuss scale helicopters, tips, tricks and scale construction threads

Old 04-29-2021, 12:12 AM   #161
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Don I.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

Total Props: 10
Re: Fun-Key Jet Ranger 700 Sport

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Tonight's work completed the construction of the wire strike system. While I was using some home made temporary fasteners to hold the support rods to the blades, I decided to use very small fasteners so they were added to the list of things for tomorrow. It turned out, while sorting out my current fasteners, I discovered that I had bought some 00-90 hex head screws and nuts. To give a sense of how small these are, the drill is .0465" (1.18mm) for the screw to pass through. Oh well, more to buy tomorrow. I finally took a picture of my messy bench and the lower wire strike and added a few of the upper. There are pads to be made up that sit at the base of each support rod but that will be added at final assembly. And you all thought that the screws and nuts on the skids were small. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 002245.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1726789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 002350.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1726791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 002422.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1726793  
Keyrigger is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:35 PM   #162
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

I know that these parts are not going to make a hill of beans difference to a Sport Scale helicopter but I really enjoy bringing them to life. The clip at the bottom of the outside air temperature chart really works so the challenge is to make the 518 version operational. There is a second chart inside that is exposed when the clip is pressed on the full size. Now, about the spring...

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 160819.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1726837  
Old 04-30-2021, 11:47 PM   #163
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

A rather unusual item to go looking for to install in a model helicopter is carpeting. I have two to do so I might as well find it. Well, locally to us in the GTA is a doll house building supply place on Millwood Rd, just near Bayview. The web search brought me right to the carpet, which is available in one size, 12"x14" (can't figure that size out but it must have to do with a normal room size in a doll house). I needed beige and it's a good thing I didn't need something like black because they don't carry it (so much for carpeting for my Little Bird). I thought it best to get the double sided tape to hold it in place. They have a few neat tools like a small hand drill for number sized drills from 55-80. That will come in handy for screw holes to hold in windows on my MH-6.

At a local hobby shop to me, I found some new paint for metallic finishes called AK-Interactive out of Spain. The results were exactly what I wanted and a satin clear coat should finish it off nicely. The full size is a bit more on the copper side of metallic but given the right light, these exhaust stacks really show reddish tones. I also painted the interior of the canopy so I could get the window installation underway. All for now.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 231241.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	1726977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 231317.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	1726979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 235241.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	1726981  

Old 05-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #164
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

I really wanted to replace the standard chin windows with new unpainted ones and today that happened. I also reduced the lip that the window sits on quite a bit so that it appears internally just as the original does. Next on the window front is the top windows which need to be routed and then the mounting lip reduced. It should be in interesting day tomorrow. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 202031.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1727115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 202056.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1727117   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 202118.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1727119  
Old 05-03-2021, 01:07 AM   #165
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

When I had chosen the paint for the interior, I thought I had the best match possible from the civilian and military colours from Model Master and Tamiya. The more I looked at it, the more it looked like an all out green even though it was Japanese Army Gray. Looking at both sets of colours again, I noticed one I had not seen in the usual area and maybe that is why I missed it. It was on the Model Master chart and it is RAF Sky Type "S". It's funny that it is also a match to the colour of the earphones that I just modified from an unknown set in the left over boxes of figure accessories.

I didn't get around to installing the upper windows so the installation of the main and chin windows are on hold until I have it worked out. I do plan to enlarge the window frame and to fill the edges like the other windows will be done. I called on Bruce to do a hand demo of the set of earphones but these will not be in this helicopter but be in the next one. There was not enough room where the hooks are to have it installed as it would most likely bounce out (even if glued in place) to fall out of an open window or worse, get crushed in the main gears. There is still more work to do on those earphones as there are markings to be put on the one earpiece. These were all olive drab before and there was no curled plug wire. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 004351.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1727273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 000805.jpg
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1727275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 000919.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1727277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 000951.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1727279  

Name:	IMG 001534.jpg
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1727281  
Old 05-03-2021, 12:00 PM   #166
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

So getting back to the build at hand, I made up the two static air ports on the body. Those holes are really small, a #66 (.0330") is the center and the ones around it are #74 (.0225"). Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 124625.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1727297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 124605.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1727299  
Old 05-03-2021, 03:42 PM   #167
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

I mentioned about whether or not I would go with custom upper windows so with the work done to the rest, it would be silly not to treat these the same. The first two shots show the original depressions for the windows with the third showing it after all the fitting is done. The last is the new window dropped into place. I may finally glue these in tonight and with that, the canopy should become much more rigid. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 143648.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1727313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 143720.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1727315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 161919.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1727317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 162002.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1727319  

Old 05-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #168
mgkluft
RCC Apprentice

I am: Martin K

Total Props: 0

Don, what glue are you using for securing the windows, with the reduced overlap? I've done a couple of samples with Formula 560, but it didn't look to be very strong. I also saw that Fun-Key recommends Goop.
Thanks,
Martin
mgkluft is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:45 PM   #169
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

I bought a glue syringe and am using RC Modellers Canopy glue loaded into the syringe. When I am done, I inject it back into the tube and clean out the syringe with hot water. Basically, I am forcing it underneath the windows while tape is holding them in place. I just finished all of them (aside from the door windows) and it is looking good. I may add CA from the outside but that is a big risk. The glue should be fully cured by morning so my work has ceased for the night. The big stuff is almost done. I plan not to crash so I don't need the aggravation that I have had before with canopies and the glues I have used in the past. Goop is really sticky and can turn into a real mess as it also sets up very fast. I have used Formula 560 and also have had good success but I couldn't find it this time around. They all "clean up" but the Goop is the hardest of the three. Hope this helps.

Don
Old 05-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #170
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

Hi Martin,

Well, four of the five windows went in great but I slipped up with the main window. This morning I cleaned it all off and polished the window before rethinking this. The issue was that the tape provided no pressure to keep the window tight to the body as I injected the glue. I ended up using the syringe to apply a nice small bead around the frame and then spread the windscreen out and plopped it in place. This time, I used magnets for the first time as I needed pressure at the base of the windscreen. I had these for door projects and I had different sizes so this worked out great. Where I needed lots of pull, I used some pretty beefy magnets to apply the pressure the the rest worked just fine. I know it's working as glue is being slowly pushed out and I can see how much better the coverage is this time. The small lip on the other windows does not bother me as I did get full coverage except for one spot and that is being dealt with via a nice pair of heavy duty magnets and some fresh glue injected in the offending spot. I won't use tape again and I should have taken the hint from others that have used magnets for this job. Now I will need to get more of the heavy duty type for the main pressure points. For the first time in many, many canopies, I didn't curse up a storm, lol. Take care.

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG 100743.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1727395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 100755.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1727397  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in