controlliner
RCC Contributor

I am: James MacLaren West
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 2
Re: Nitro fuel

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The Custom was a nice 7% fuel wi all castor, I loved it. I destroyed an OS .10 FSR wi Apollo 7. It was a good engine wi good compression, I wore it out in a weekend. 7 had Ukon oil in it and it burned way sooner than castor.
controlliner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:22 AM   #12
Layback209
RCC Apprentice

I am: Detek
Radio of choice:
Hitech
# of RCs: Lot

Total Props: 0
If you do have issues with running the "old fuel." A gent taught me that if you have questionable fuel to put it in the freezer and to use a coffee filter to strain the ice out of it. Repeat until you have no more ice. If it was moisture contaminated this will restore it to running worthy. Funny I read Apolo fuel earlier in the thread, I had a small jug of 15% in yhe garage since 1995 we used for cox engines, I know the date bc it was before we moved, I got motivated in 2014 to crank them up again. Surprisingly it ran well enough, the nitro though was long gone and it was mostly just methanol at that point I'm assuming. Noticed a huge performance gain with some fresh stuff a bit latter that summer. And had to ritchen the tune significantly.
Layback209 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
controlliner
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

That was the blue label stuff, it had Ucon synthetic oil (Turbine oil I think) It was bad fae the connecting rod ball and socket. I always used Custom in ma 049's 'cause of the castor. 7% nitromethane was always adequate. Never flying competition, I didnae see the difference from 16K to 18K on a 6X3. I had one TD 049 run on synthetic oil based fuel wi 25% Nitromethane. The socket split open and the engine was ruined. Fortunately then a new TD piston and cylinder could be had fae £2.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #14
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
I used to buy Apollo fuel as a kid. That’s the only stuff the local craft store brought in. Haven’t heard of that in a long time!
Same here, that was the go-to fuel in the later '70's and '80's as I recall. I still have 2-3 cans and a couple of partial jugs.. I wasn't planning to use them but a bench test with this ancient fuel might be interesting.

I remember the local store once only had Apollo 7C, and Apollo 50 in stock, and I needed 1/2A fuel, so I said gimme a can of each, I'll mix them. I was a younger teen at the time. The prick behind the counter laughed and said " ha ha, you're gonna mix your own fuel, huh?". And I just said something like "it's simple math, 50+7 divided by two is about 28% nitro". But what a dork, that's the kind of guy that turns people off the hobby.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #15
AJCoholic
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
Same here, that was the go-to fuel in the later '70's and '80's as I recall. I still have 2-3 cans and a couple of partial jugs.. I wasn't planning to use them but a bench test with this ancient fuel might be interesting.

I remember the local store once only had Apollo 7C, and Apollo 50 in stock, and I needed 1/2A fuel, so I said gimme a can of each, I'll mix them. I was a younger teen at the time. The prick behind the counter laughed and said " ha ha, you're gonna mix your own fuel, huh?". And I just said something like "it's simple math, 50+7 divided by two is about 28% nitro". But what a dork, that's the kind of guy that turns people off the hobby.
Our shop would bring in maybe a few gallons and a few quart bottles at a time. They’d sit in the front window getting blasted by the sun. I recall gathering up enough money when I was maybe 12, 13 yrs old and buying a quart that had a red or orange label - which was so faded from the sun I am sure the fuel was already crap.

At one time, my father and I tried to run the Cox engines on lacquer thinner, lighter fluid and perhaps more stuff we had access to. Unsuccessfully of course. Besides I didn’t know you had to add oil to the fuel. Doh!

Children today will never know that kind of stuff lol. You really had to have a passion for this hobby, growing up in an isolated community with no proper hobby shop or club.

Back then just a wee bit of success was enough to keep at it.

I still remember buying the cheapest packs of AA batteries from Radio Shack, the red ones ( the green and gold were too much $$) and soldering them up in parallel to use as a glow plug battery. The good old days... right!?
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
Layback209
RCC Apprentice

I am: Detek
Radio of choice:
Hitech
# of RCs: Lot

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlliner View Post
That was the blue label stuff, it had Ucon synthetic oil (Turbine oil I think) It was bad fae the connecting rod ball and socket. I always used Custom in ma 049's 'cause of the castor. 7% nitromethane was always adequate. Never flying competition, I didnae see the difference from 16K to 18K on a 6X3. I had one TD 049 run on synthetic oil based fuel wi 25% Nitromethane. The socket split open and the engine was ruined. Fortunately then a new TD piston and cylinder could be had fae £2.
Yikes, glad you were able to find parts for the teedee. I wondered what would happen on different oil set ups.
Good reasons to follow cox recommendations on oil. I've been using sig 1/2a fuel since 2017 with great results. 25% nitro 20% oil had castor half synthetic. Prior to being able to get proper 1/2a fuel I was using 30% nitro rc car fuel with 10% synthetic oil and adding castor to bring the oil up to at least 20%. Worked fantastic made many laps on that stuff. I think it had some anti foam additives too as my teedee liked it more than the sig stuff. I didn't need to put a vibration dampener between the fuselage and tank. But need one on sigs blend.
Layback209 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #17
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 10

Car fuel with added castor is my standard 1/2A mix when I can't find SIG Champion. Both work great.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #18
controlliner
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I "build" ma own FAI fuel. I use it in everything, .020 tae .60. The 1/2A engines, I use only one head shim and HC head. The run real well fae fun flying. I have n HC head I threaded tae 1/4X32 and use short reach plugs, It runs marvelous on .049's.

Tags
Nitro Fuel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in