RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 08-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 20
Lipo storage charge???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
There is a discussion going on Facebook about Lipo storage mode. Is it necessary and what are the Manufacturers saying?
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 10
Re: Lipo storage charge???

Necessary, debatable. If I am not going to fly for 3 days plus I will put my batteries in storage charge at 3.85 volts. I fly 12s2p set ups and don’t want to mess with $800 worth of batteries so this works for me.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
tporter416
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 7

I always store mine at 3.8V/cell, I have some lipo's for years and the internal resistance hasn't changed much. It works well for me, I do it after every time I fly...
SAB Goblin Kraken, MSH Protos Max V2 700, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 420, Oxy 2, mCPX BL, nano CP S, F-18, F-16, A-10, 3DHS Edge 540, Spitfire Mk IX, Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm, 540QQ, F-15, F-35, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
imported_rnst2
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: ernest L.
Radio of choice:
DX7blk
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0

and if i landed at 3.86v, can i just then leave it as is?
imported_rnst2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 20

I have had problems in the past where a lipo wouldn't put out the current. When they were new they were fine. Now the capacity, volts, and balance is fine, just won't put out the amps. I am wondering because I have never but a storage charge on them that could be the issue. They are Turnigy Graphene Lipo.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #6
tporter416
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_rnst2 View Post
and if i landed at 3.86v, can i just then leave it as is?
I am obsessive compulsive so not matter where they are, I always storage charge them all when I get home....
SAB Goblin Kraken, MSH Protos Max V2 700, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 420, Oxy 2, mCPX BL, nano CP S, F-18, F-16, A-10, 3DHS Edge 540, Spitfire Mk IX, Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm, 540QQ, F-15, F-35, E-Max 250 Quad
Old 08-21-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
tporter416
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
I have had problems in the past where a lipo wouldn't put out the current. When they were new they were fine. Now the capacity, volts, and balance is fine, just won't put out the amps. I am wondering because I have never but a storage charge on them that could be the issue. They are Turnigy Graphene Lipo.
Maybe, I had an e-flite 3S 2200mah that I got with my 450X 8 years ago, I used that in my planes, heli's, no issues, until this year when I connected it to my charger and all the balance wires in the battery broke off...
Old 08-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #8
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
I believe leaving them at full charge is worse than discharged but, again, I always put my batteries at storage charge if they won’t be used in a day or two. Likely your issue as graphenes have a relatively good rep.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #9
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
DX8

I adjust my flying to battery voltage. I try to land with about 3.75ish. So no need for storage. When something happens, I discharge to storage, and leave them there until I use them again.

I was always under the impression that leaving the lipos charged, will increase internal resistance over time. I don't measure internal resistance, but my batteries don't seem to be suffering any puffing, or less performance.

Daren
Old 08-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #10
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.

Total Props: 41

I just finished going through a fellow flyers batteries that were not left on storage voltage over the last 3/4 a year and a bit and ended up throwing out 98 % of the packs and there were lots in varying capacities and cell count. Told him that the remaining 3 or 4 packs to keep an eye out and if they started to puff , discharge to zero volts and drop at the recycle depot.
Everyone has their story to tell on how they leave their batteries on storage charge. I don't feel that 3.85v/cell is that critical so anywhere from 3.78 to 3.88 is fine from day to day and week to week; but over the winter ( talking months) I leave mine close to 3.85v/cell.
Similar to the Life packs that are in the square pouch style like lipos except they can go lower as they are a lower voltage cell.
Just my experience over the last 10 years and good information gleaned from other knowledgeable sources.

When going out early the next morning to go flying ; I charge to about 4v per cell and then top off the next morning to full charge so that way I don't spend so much time charging.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in