Bad Receiver Batteries - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-07-2021, 11:15 PM   #41
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 51
Re: Bad Receiver Batteries

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
So just to make this more confusing for me, can someone please confirm something for me. I am used to seeing the Life batteries that look similar to the standard Lipo batteries, such as the Spektrum 1450 mAh Life I have. But hearing about the A123 cells, a quick search led me to see them, and please correct me if I am wrong, but is it me or do they look like an 18650 battery cell, such as those used in power tool batteries. Or is it something else I am missing and in fact these A123 batteries are indeed just 18650 batteries. Sorry for the stupid question, but am now more curious. I am asking as I do have a battery from a toy helicopter I had gotten rid of, but had a 2 cell battery marked 2SICR18500 - 1100 mAh 7.4V. It has a balance connector as well as a JST plug. Not sure if this would be an alternative power source. It has been sitting around but has been maintained. Thanks again.
The 18650 is a number designating a physical size of a lithium cell. The chemistry is something else . With a voltage of 7.4 that would be a lithium-ion cell pack that you have there. As for the discharge rating you need to know the brand and model or part number of the cell as they could be anywhere from a 2.75 amp discharge rate up to 30 amp (18650 cells)

Check the length of that pack and if it is about 50mm long then that is a 18500 pack as the 18650 cell is about 65mm long. Both are about 18mm in diameter. Again without knowing for sure the brand and part number ; I would have to say the discharge rate to be in the lower end of the scale and unless you know for sure and as mentioned by 4*60 , I wouldn't use it either.

Last edited by stegl; 04-07-2021 at 11:36 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:06 AM   #42
NEW222
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 11

Thank you Len. I will not be using it as a receiver pack, as it showed 8.4 volts, and it came from a cheap offshore helicopter, so any identification is gonna be tough. But thanks again for the explinations.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #43
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 21

Keep in mind Chancey lots of us started with a Nicad pack of 600mah as nothing else was available at that time. I don't remember crashing any planes because of a low battery. We kept track of our flight times knowing how long our batteries would be good for. I jumped on the NIMH band wagon because I fly for two hours when I go to the field knowing I can safely.

Years ago my Transmitter alarmed on my last flight after two hours of flying. It was a NIMH pack with a 2800mah rating. It was an older pack and was well used. When I cycled the pack it charged normally but was only good for the two hours on discharge. I run the HobbyKing 2300mah 6V flight packs with 5 Hitec 5625 servo's and a mini throttle servo without any issues with a low battery for my two hours of flying.

Nowadays we have more batteries than we know what to do with. But I'm sticking with the NIMH batteries as they work fine for my flying. Plus I don't want to learn or read all the right ups on the new batteries specs. I remember reading that some Spektrum receivers suffered from a brown out that had nothing to do with the battery.

I'm getting older and don't want to learn any new tricks. NIMH for life.
Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #44
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1

Total Props: 16

I crashed using a 1800mah NIMH flight pack. It sagged under load when operating electric retracts. It was only a couple years old and not used much. Fully charged, and died on less than 3 flights.
Never again...
Old 04-08-2021, 09:14 AM   #45
cessna180
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

I want to learn new tricks. Slowly getting older, almost 79. But I embrace new technology an want to learn more. Those stuck un the past are becoming dinosaurs. I say innovate, experiment, think ahead, plan for tomorrow, these actions will keep you young. I just may trash all my batteries and go back to rubber power.
Michael
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #46
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 21

Most of the NIMH problems I here about are all Conditioning related.
If the pack isn't conditioned you end up with a garbage pack. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #47
RAMJET
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 88

Most of the NiMh problems I hear about are NiMh related .LOL. save your self the headache and use better batteries , yes if the plane and servos are small enough and if you cycle them just right you may be able to get away with it . But why go through the hassle , use a decent A123 or Life , they last forever ,take no special treatment and are more then capable in any application . cheers ..
Old 04-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #48
RAMJET
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna180 View Post
I want to learn new tricks. Slowly getting older, almost 79. But I embrace new technology an want to learn more. Those stuck un the past are becoming dinosaurs. I say innovate, experiment, think ahead, plan for tomorrow, these actions will keep you young. I just may trash all my batteries and go back to rubber power.
Michael
No need to do that Mike . just get yourself a couple of A 123 batteries . I've been using them for 15 years and still have the first ones I ever made from black&decker drill packs . I flew with them for 5 years then retired them .Ever since they've been the basement (10 years) in whatever state they were in when I last flew . I checked them yesterday and they are still charged and cycled fine, looks like I retired them way early but they were new and I didn't want to take any chances . Like I said no special treatment needed on many of these new batteries . .
Old 04-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #49
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1

Total Props: 16

Be sure you use the right charge settings... whatever you decide to use. If you only have nicad chargers, buy nicads (and replace when necessary).
Old 04-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #50
Thunder Chicken
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
But why go through the hassle , use a decent A123 or Life , they last forever ,take no special treatment and are more then capable in any application . cheers ..
Not trying to stir the pot too bad, there are exceptions to every case for sure, but I have an A123 pack here that has one bad cell in it, very little use. Could have been from storing it full, maybe from the -40 winter storage temps to the +40 in the trailer during the summer. Or maybe the one dud in a million. I only ever charge at 1c, but never left it at a storage state. It’s at least 5-6 years old and likely only has a few dozen cycles on it if that. I’d cycled it this spring to see capacity and found a difference in voltage during the discharge under a 1A load. I’m about to do each cell individually just for fun to see, maybe a few of these cycles will bring it back, but even if it does, is even a simple 4 channel sport plane worth the cost of a new pack? I think not.
Thunder Chicken is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in