Old 01-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #91
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 55
Re: Dying Hobby

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Anyone who says you cannot buy kits... lol

Just look on line, on modelling Facebook groups etc.

Iíve bought about 20 kits in the past year I always wanted but couldnít buy in the past 30.

Kits are abundant. And they are not priced crazy either (unless itís something rare and collectible)

Same with engines. Iíve bought a dozen in the past little while also.

Just have to look a bit, thatís all.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #92
cravenjw
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
I'm not so sure this hobby is something you will eventually grow to love if you do it the correct way. I have watched my ...
+1

My dad golfed. My brother golfed. All the family friends golfed! I spent quite a bit of time being taught by my dad. I was given good lessons by pros. Golf was always on the TV! Golf magazines lying around everywhere!

Yet, I couldn't find any joy in it, usually only frustration!

If golfers had come to my school to demo golf, or i had to walk around golfers every time i was at the mall, it wasn't ever going make me a golfer!!!

What did i learn from golf? that i could pay of RC being a caddy! LOL
Old 01-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #93
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 55

The thing is, the traditional way of getting into modelling may not be the correct way anymore.

I mean, it is not the correct and only way today.

I am old school. I still feel learningvto build should come first, along with learning to both run and maintain engines. And learning to install and maintain radio gear/ batteries.

Flying came after all that stuff, lol. Which is why I started at age 7 and finally could fly competently around 17. Yes I was self taught but it still was a long road. Albeit I thought it was a lot of fun anyhow.

Today you can go flying much faster. And if flying is your thing, thatís ok. I remember having a discussion here in 2002 or 3, 15 years ago... about how arfs are wrecking the hobby. I just bought two of them!! Sorry guys, my apologies. But I love building and I love engines and everything about the hobby.

The old way is dying. The hobby will carry on in some shape/state or form.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #94
tporter416
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenjw View Post
+1

My dad golfed. My brother golfed. All the family friends golfed! I spent quite a bit of time being taught by my dad. I was given good lessons by pros. Golf was always on the TV! Golf magazines lying around everywhere!

Yet, I couldn't find any joy in it, usually only frustration!

If golfers had come to my school to demo golf, or i had to walk around golfers every time i was at the mall, it wasn't ever going make me a golfer!!!

What did i learn from golf? that i could pay of RC being a caddy! LOL
BTW Golf is also dying, my Mother golfs, the private club she belongs to keeps hiking fees due to decreased enrollment. They just cannot get new members, they keep adjusting the course, lengthening, all sorts of things to try and get new members, all of which have failed...

(Anyone else remember the promise of computers in the early 80's? We would work less, become a leisure society, it ended up the opposite didn't it????)
SAB Goblin Kraken, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 420, Oxy 2, mCPX BL, mCPX BL2, nano CP S, FMS Rafale, Freewing F-5N, Arrows F-15, FMS F-18, F-16, A-10, E-Flite Viper, GP Super Sportster, P-39, Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm, Dogfighter, FMS F-35, FW F-18, E-Flite F-15, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #95
RAMJET
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 103

I guess I just don't like the term dying because it implies the total loss or demise of something and I don't see the hobby ending ever, just changing , in fact it just grows and grows . When I started the hobby 45 years ago things were changing . I would not at the time, getting my first cox spitfire have said that the hobby was dying just because it had change from my dad's day . It was the best time of my life though my dad would have thought different . Guys today getting into the hobby for they first time feel just like my dad or myself .It's not what you are doing that's important it's the journey and the state of mind you are in at the time ,40 years from now the kids that are really into the hobby will look back fondly just like we all do . Why imply to the new crowd that what they have is less just because it's different form what we had . For cripes sake's man see the positive in things LOL.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #96
cf100
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Ken K.

Total Props: 27

my last post on this topic

I deem the hobby as aeromodelling to me and it is dying, some may say it is growing with the drones but that is not aeromodelling to me. If you are an aeromodeller, then its time to come out of denial, many reasons for the deline as have been listed on earlier posts.

The signs if you look for them are there - no matter how rose coloured your glasses are.

from what I observe in my zone from when I started in 1977 to today are:

a) the number of clubs have decreased
b) the number of fun flies have decreased
c) the number of hobby shops that carried rc aeromodelling stuff in the zone is down by at least 75% from 1980 to now
d) a guess of the club members median age would be 60, back in 1978 I bet it would have been 40.
e) most club memberships numbers have decreased.
f) hardly any interclub competitions
g) no one wants to be on clubs executives
h) when I started there were many rc airplanes magazines, RCM, Flying Model, Model Builder, Scale RC Modeler, Model Airplane News, one from that group is left.
i) Tower / Hobbico were expanding - today they are fighting to stay in business.
j) guys putzing instead of flying.

and the biggest sign I see - hardly anyone at the flying field when I head out on most days.

Do I give a rat's ass - yes, I / we need sufficient member numbers to keep our aeromodelling club that have flying fields viable - guys to serve on the executive, cut the grass, direct the events, show up at the meetings, money alone does not do it, we need warm bodies at the club meetings, events, and at the flight line.

Do I see a turn around - NO!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #97
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 105

Golf:

...... on occasion, when I do go for a round or two and find myself on a fresh cut fairway on a perfect day ....... just absorbing the relaxing surroundings....... my mind calms,
....... just as all of lifeís big answers are coming into focus....... a breakthrough for world peace is there for me to pluck from my grey matter........

........ ďman, this fairway would be a great place to fly toy airplanes!Ē

Oh well, world peace is overrated...

...Whack! .... [email protected]&k! ..... stupid game.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #98
tskca
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ken Lee
Radio of choice:
JR 28X

Total Props: 4

Neither golf nor flying are dying here in Mesa, Arizona. The club I visited had over 230 members flying everything, every day from 7 am and into the dusk. I look out at the 6th fairway at Painted Mountain and watch hundreds of Snowbirds pass by. Temps are in the low 80s and the skies are blue. Life is great.
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #99
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10. Also use a DX7S for a few bind and fly.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 62

I disagree that kids today do ‘t Have the money for r/c..... they have the latest and greatest cell phones or equivalent and somebody has to pay their cell bills with high data packages.
It’s the effort to be put into the hobby for those that really want to stick with it.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #100
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy01 View Post
Golf:

...... on occasion, when I do go for a round or two and find myself on a fresh cut fairway on a perfect day ....... just absorbing the relaxing surroundings....... my mind calms,
....... just as all of lifeís big answers are coming into focus....... a breakthrough for world peace is there for me to pluck from my grey matter........

........ ďman, this fairway would be a great place to fly toy airplanes!Ē

Oh well, world peace is overrated...

...Whack! .... [email protected]&k! ..... stupid game.
Hahahah. Awesome.

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in