Mini Battery Spot Welder Review - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 08-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87
Mini Battery Spot Welder Review

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Soldering involves sanding, alcohol cleaning, flux, drop of solder then soldering the tab. So the spot welder will get rid of four of the five soldering steps.

I bought two mini spot welders to see if they work better than soldering battery packs together. The first one I got was the red one. And yes Michael it has all the customer complaints fixed in the newest version, as per the note in the box. I used a 12 volt car battery I had that was fully charged and did nice welds at 60% power. It seemed like more power than other people on YouTube needed so I hooked up my booster pack to the battery and dropped the power setting to 35% and had nice welds. So my car battery is weak.

The black welder has a lion battery built in the unit that is a 5.0 volt 5300mah pack or single cell. The unit doesn't need as much power as the red one to operate properly. With a .010 strip I can do nice welds at power level 4 of 6. Thicker .015 strips need more power on either welder. I prefer the .010 strips on both, the welds are nicer.

The red one was $26.00 CAD with shipping included and seems to be power hungry. The black one with the built in battery was $41.00 CAD shipped and is the one I prefer. Both were bought from Banggood during a flash sale..

I also bought some NIMH batteries from IKEA. They sell a pack of 4 1900mah AA NIMH batteries for $4.99. I ordered ten packs and was surprised to see they are made in Japan. A Google search compares the IKEA
batteries to the Panasonic Eneloops that are also made in Japan. 40 batteries cost me $65.42 with taxes and shipping included. I've been paying three to four times that price for my batteries.

I'm still playing with the welders but my skill has improved to the point of making some packs that I need ASAP. A lot quicker than soldering and I have room for 6 welds on each battery post. Once I got the temperature set
I have to tear the strips to remove them and the spot weld stays on the battery terminal. I like having the welding tips in my hands, I can see where I'm welding better. Links below, Cheers Floyd

https://www.banggood.com/6-Gears-Min...N&rmmds=search

https://www.banggood.com/Portable-DI...N&rmmds=search

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/ladda-r...1-2v-00509814/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2175.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	1738407   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2176.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1738409  
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #2
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42
Re: Mini Battery Spot Welder Review

Very interesting. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jeff G
Radio of choice:
X20s or anything FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 81

I just bought this one from amazon..

Thanks for the heads up on this one Floyd... it could have some very practical uses.. but will let you know better in the next day or two..

https://www.amazon.ca/Portable-Machi...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	welder.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1738429  
The Cat is Back !

The two stupidest answers in the world are !!

JUST BECAUSE and
THAT IS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT.
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jeff G
Radio of choice:
X20s or anything FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 81

I got the above welder the other day and spent a bit of time playing with it of course..

So here is what I got.. If you plan to do lipo tabs.. then it seems that a probe on each side with a low power setting seems to do extremely well.. tore the metal apart, not the weld..

And again with adding a tab to a battery,, worked about the same on a medium power setting.. tore out the metal..

It would also seem that , just giving the surface a bit of cleaning with some fine sand paper also improved the weld..

As the manufacture said.. use a light pressure on the probes ,, if you push down to hard , the resistance at the weld point can be reduced , causing a poor weld..

I think this could be a very handy tool for some projects..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210808_234842680.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1738799   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210808_235349302.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	783.3 KB
ID:	1738801  
The Cat is Back !

The two stupidest answers in the world are !!

JUST BECAUSE and
THAT IS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT.
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in