108" Bud Nosen Aeronca re-build - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Mendes
RCC Contributor

I am: Richard K
Radio of choice:
9c
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 4
108" Bud Nosen Aeronca re-build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm doing this re-build for my Dad's 70th birthday, he had this plane built for him in the early 80's and lost it on it's maiden due to a bad battery. Planning on using a US 41cc gasser that I have sitting NIB on it. Also going to be replacing that wood cowl with a glass one. Other than that there is still some minor reconstruction to do before covering, probably going with Coverite Fabric.

Any input on this plane and how she flies would be appreciated.

Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeronca 1.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	156876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeronca 2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	156877  
Mendes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:04 PM   #2
Moosehunter
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Re: 108" Bud Nosen Aeronca re-build

Hi Richard, I know your post is old but yesterday I found a vintage 1/4 scale Aeronca as yours Dad's one. It has the same wooden cowling. Can you tell me who manufactured this plane? Is it a Bud Nosen? My wing struts are missing and I could use pictures of how they were made back then. Hope you can help. Best regards: Roger
Moosehunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:33 PM   #3
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55

Number of years ago I built the Nosen Citabria which was pretty much the same airframe but used a different cowl shape and the vertical fin and h.stab were squared off. The strut was airfoil shaped pine or basswood wood The ends were shaped pieces of aluminum which were slated into the ends of the airfoil shaped wood . There was a small grove cut along the bottom of the strut ( in the center)from end to end . A hole was drilled into each metal fitting , centred along the grove ..Then a piece of 1/16th music wire was epoxied into the grove with L bends at each end that fit into the drilled holes making an almost indestructible strut as far as any push-pull stresses . I believe there were also a couple of tiny wood dowels epoxied thru the strut and metal pieces . Trim off excess after glued . Also use small bamboo skewers as twice as strong as wood . As for the exact length you will have to work that out yourself thru the plans . Instead of using the supplied aluminum pieces , I used thicker stainless steel strapping as it will never crack or wear from vibration.

I used a single strut on mine but the real one had a V shaped onas per pictures.
aeronca champ wing struts
http://www.hangar9aeroworks.com/Aero...caGallery.html

This all make sense ?

After my first two kits ; there was never a kit that I didn’t make changes to improve on something . My old saying was “8 hours thinking to 1 hour of building “ . This was in regard to changes.

The art of scratch or kit building a model is getting lost with all the arf’s out there .

Last edited by stegl; 06-10-2021 at 12:04 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
Moosehunter
RCC Noob

My "new" vintage Aeronca probably dates back to the mid 70's, it is very well built and only missing the wing struts. It has never been crashed or hurt, structures is 100% perfect. Yesterday I started scratch building the missing single struts out of pine and will use stailess steal endings. This early model is using single struts and is a rare configuration designed in the first Bud Nosen kit only. I don't have the plans handy and still do not know at 100% if it is a Bud Nosen 1/4 scale but all my research are pointing that way. I scratch and kit build big planes since 1985 and love to bring back to life old birds. This plane is a "tank" as it is built with thick plywood, firewall is 1/2" and some other parts are 1/4". You can't see that in a ARF. If there is someone out there who could provide the exact length of a single strut that would be helpfull, otherwise I will go with a good and safe approximation. Can't figure out how to insert an image with my message???
Old 06-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #5
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55

Click on edit , click on go advanced ,then below click on manage attachments then add you pictures.

Wonder if it was a plan built aircraft as the sides were balsa on mine with 1/4 in ply 1st and second firewall ,as it was initially designed for a strong 60-61 motor back in the 70’s
Sounds like yours may have been a plan scratch built version as the original kit was built light for all up weight of about 14 pounds or so; for a strong 60-61 2 stroke back in the 70’s . It flew on the wing rather than brute power . If plan built there should be about 1/8th ply plates built into the outer wing panels as the struts were functional. I increased the size of the plates which were also glued to tie in with the wing spar . The length of the struts ; from mounting hole to hole should be about 26 inches.

Heading out camping fir 4 days .

Last edited by stegl; 06-10-2021 at 10:47 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #6
Moosehunter
RCC Noob

The plane is plan built. There are numbered parts and they look to be pre-cut. Your are right about the 26" struts. Built them today out of pine wood, need build the stainless steel parts. Could not upload pictures....received a message ( security tocken is missing to send message???). Have a nice camping trip. Roger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in