AJCoholic
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 51
Re: Canada Post shipping

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterel View Post
I find that Canada post shipping is over priced for what we get and now I see that in January they are going to have a 3.5% increase.
I’m not sure what this is exactly supposed to mean. And I’m not being facetious.

I can mail a smallish parcel across Canada for $25 or send something like an engine from Northern ON to southern ON for $13 or $14...

I can’t drive 100km for less than $20 in fuel. Obviously not practical to deliver myself is it?

So what am I basing the “over priced” statement on?

Any other means costs more.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:12 PM   #12
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 47

For me, the benefits of growing up in a rural area and being able to live my whole 70 years (up to now) on the same property far outweigh a bit of extra postage occasionally.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:15 PM   #13
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 77

The statement that Canada Post does not have competition is not true. They are competing with every courier company in the country. The bulk of the business Canada Post does is in parcels. There is very little letter mail now.

I don't know what happens in the cities but here in rural Alberta Canada Post delivers to the door. No other courier company does that! Others have one or two pick up/drop off points in each town, usually a local place of business and that is it! You have to drive to pick your stuff up. Mine comes right to my door 15 miles out of town! Is that worth something? I think it is!

Old 06-10-2021, 01:53 AM   #14
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 25

Funny that in the "big city" it is the opposite. The couriers deliver to the door and the Canada Post deliveries are either left at the mailboxes or at the post office. Unless of course CP wants sales tax and a fee for cross border.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55

Not here . If it doesn’t fit in the community mailbox they deliver to the door ; conditional that the driver isn’t too lazy as some will leave a notice in the mailbox even though the doorstep is only a couple of hundred feet away. The only time they may not drop at the door is if they need a signature and even then they may do a drop .
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #16
Bskik
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 2

Next time you get an item by mail from the Far East, check out it’s postage. It’s next to nothing.
So we, the Canadian Canada Post users, are are subsidizing the Canada Post portion of the shipping costs for all these big Far East online merchants.
Bskik is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #17
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Not here . If it doesnít fit in the community mailbox they deliver to the door ; conditional that the driver isnít too lazy as some will leave a notice in the mailbox even though the doorstep is only a couple of hundred feet away. The only time they may not drop at the door is if they need a signature and even then they may do a drop .
Lazy? Maybe but more like not paid any extra to do it. Since the Pandemic postal workers have had the responsibility of dropping off parcels at homes to try and cut down on traffic in the post office buildings. There has been little to no extra pay for the extra time and effort involved. There are three valid reasons not to: 1) no one to sign if a signature is required, 2) parcel is over 50 pounds, 3) there is a dog in the yard.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #18
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis

Total Props: 25

OFF topic but #3 reminds me of working with a utility. We had a new meter reader who had way more dogs in yard than any other reader.
Smart guy. So smart that the union job was gone and he had to look again for work!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:10 PM   #19
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskik View Post
Next time you get an item by mail from the Far East, check out it’s postage. It’s next to nothing.
So we, the Canadian Canada Post users, are are subsidizing the Canada Post portion of the shipping costs for all these big Far East online merchants.

hmmmmm....... my reaction to your conclusion that postal system of Canada delivers the parcel within Canada for free, without compensation ..... was one of that can't be true or so simple.

.... once upon a time - centuries ago, it may have been true on the basis international mail consisting solely of letters on the assumption that every letter would generate a responding letter and there would be equal volumes incoming and outgoing mail between countries.

But mail soon included more than personal letters; incoming and outgoing mail volumes became imbalanced, etc.

Since the 1854 Treaty of Bern, there has been a Universal Postal Union organization, now part of the United Nations, that periodically negotiates with with postal systems of all countries compensation for the receiving country.... called terminal dues, typically based on volume/weight of all mail/parcels on quarterly basis.

A country may be subsidizing its outgoing mail/parcels by charging its citizens/businesses, less than the full cost of delivery.... typically for economic development.
So the postage on the parcel may not represent the full amount paid by the sender and his country.

I once calculated that it cost less for a Canadian r/c hobbyist to use the postal system to send a typical parcel - a four pound box t - the U.S., than it would cost the U.S. hobbyist to send the same to me, including currency conversion. Is the Canadian postal system subsidizing me - unfairly -compared to the U.S. hobbyist wanting to sell into Canada? Or is the USPS overcharging its users?
Maybe (smiley)

Here's the best online account that I found
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union

Last edited by michaely; 06-10-2021 at 05:50 PM.
michaely is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:58 AM   #20
davidmc36
Driver, Airframe
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
The statement that Canada Post does not have competition is not true. They are competing with every courier company in the country. The bulk of the business Canada Post does is in parcels. There is very little letter mail now.

I don't know what happens in the cities but here in rural Alberta Canada Post delivers to the door. No other courier company does that! Others have one or two pick up/drop off points in each town, usually a local place of business and that is it! You have to drive to pick your stuff up. Mine comes right to my door 15 miles out of town! Is that worth something? I think it is!
You must be really in the boonies. I get all.the couriers to the door. CP.........not so much lol
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in