Reaction 64, design and build - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:42 AM   #51
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 9
Re: Reaction 64, design and build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Nose cone carved, attached and roughly sanded to shape. I'm thinking of taking the easy route and simply apply some 1.5 oz fiberglass cloth with some epoxy to hangar rash proof it and about 3" to 4" of the nose. The foam is pretty flexible where the canopy/front hatch gets clipped in at the front.

If I have any spare time, I might add wheel well covers for the main gear and maybe a door for the front nose gear. Maybe .......

But, putting the nose cone on greatly improves the look of the airframe. . I'm thinking of painting it all white with red trim on the wing tips and vertical fin. Keeping it basic ........... famous last words, huh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9359.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1682147  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 07-17-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #52
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

While hooking up the elevator and rudder servos, I realized the elevator had a ridiculous amount of flex in it, so I'm not trusting it at all to be that effective. Well, I cut it away easily enough, fashioned a new solid balsa elevator and fitted it to the horizontal stabilizer.

You can see the foam elevator on the bench, I could easily twist it 90 degrees.

I'll use the same technique regarding hinging, but can only do one side at a time. To prevent any warping, the entire balsa elevator will receive a coat of urethane top and bottom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9360.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	585.5 KB
ID:	1682149  
Old 07-27-2020, 05:18 PM   #53
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I weighed the parts today as i have pretty much all the stuff installed. Fuselage is 3 lbs 13 oz. The wing is 2 lbs 12 oz. The 8 cell battery, reciever battery and seperate retract battery is 2 lbs 10 oz. So, in total, 9 lbs 3 oz, yikes.....

The approximate wing area is 1024 sq in, which works out to 7.11 sq ft. So, even at just over 9 lbs, the wing loading is still pretty good at 20.6 oz/sq ft.

I'm pretty sure the model will end up at 10 lbs though. The EDF is producing 2250 watts wth the 8 cell so there might be hope it will fly, but not a speed demon. My only alternative will be to use that RC Lander EDF, 3900 wats on a ten cell, or quit while Im still ahead and go with something else.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #54
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I'm doing that leap of faith in hoping the 2200 watts of power will motivate this model. So, made a fairly light battery tray and got it positioned so I have a lot of extra space to move the batteries around.

Anyway, to get it balanced, the two 4 cells had to be moved rearward to the first bulkhead to get the airframe to balance level. Im pleased it actually balance with the batteries as far back as it did, so I will make a new battery tray to optimize this location. I'll even move them back further so I can mount the receiver battery and the seperate retract gear battery up front. The way it is now, these two batteries would need to be mounted on the actual CG location but I'm hoping for this layout for the battery placement.

So, that worked out better than planned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9402.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	1683827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9403.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	1683829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9405.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	624.4 KB
ID:	1683833  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 07-30-2020 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #55
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 4

John, I think you will be fine +2000W. The "baby" I built flies well despite its bulk and size but its no speed demon. It moves out just fine but you can tell its draggy because power application past 1/2 throttle seems to have a very non linear effect on speed.
Despite this it is a great flying little plane - Had it out a few days ago and it was the first time I flew it in calm conditions. Just groves along and is very well behaved - the only slight issue is a slight pitch up with power (which I could mix out) but I didn't angle the thrust line down which seems to be so popular on the "mid ship" tailpipe designs.

Put it in the air!!!!!!
Cat 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:17 AM   #56
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1

Total Props: 11

2250 watts on 8S is very tame. Most 6S setups make that kind of power. If the ESC can handle it, you could probably add one or two more cells if you need the thrust.
On the plus side, your amp draw is now so low that you should get decent flight time and put little or no stress on the batteries.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #57
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

The ESC is a 100 amp Castle, the motor is a Mega and is good for 90 amps. On the 8 cell setup, it's drawig in the low to mid 80 amps. I would like to find ways to lighten the airframe somehow, that would be my preference to getting more performance,
Old 08-01-2020, 04:00 AM   #58
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1

Total Props: 11

If you can figure out how to do that please let me know!
I have some porky jets that could use a diet.
Cheers Eric

BTW, in runners run much cooler (about 70 degrees from my measurements) when a heat sink is added should you decide to add a cell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in