Close all flying facilities, urges Zone G (Ottawa Valley) director - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 03-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #31
Morison
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 18
Re: Close all flying facilities, urges Zone G (Ottawa Valley) director

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
You can tell people are cooped up indoors these days...

'Strongly urge' is very much not a mandated or required... The ZD is just recommending a safe course of action.
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #32
jtsmash
RCC Contributor

I am: Jason T.
Radio of choice:
DX9 /Tactic ttx650
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccoop View Post
Premier Ford announced that he is closing all " non essential services " as of midnight tonight.
Gentlemen, we are not a non essential service. We are just a group of guys that build and fly model airplanes as a hobby. Remember, this is a "hobby"
I can see banning indoor flying now that summer is near so let's get out to the field and enjoy some fresh air.
These are just my thoughts at what is happening.
Happy flying ,
Doug
Model airplane clubs get incorporated so the members don't get sued, extra insurance so executives don't get sued. So, there are people that take this airplane hobby pretty serious.
Being incorporated makes the club a not for profit business.
So we would be under "non essential" is how I am reading into this.
Just looking for a discussion, our field is a good 2 months away from being open anyway. Just seeing what other club executives / members think as far as due diligence and all that good stuff.
IMAC 8158
jtsmash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #33
AJCoholic
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmash View Post
Model airplane clubs get incorporated so the members don't get sued, extra insurance so executives don't get sued. So, there are people that take this airplane hobby pretty serious.
Being incorporated makes the club a not for profit business.
So we would be under "non essential" is how I am reading into this.
Just looking for a discussion, our field is a good 2 months away from being open anyway. Just seeing what other club executives / members think as far as due diligence and all that good stuff.
We are not incorporated. We are neither a business. Weíre a local club - not essential but at the same time we are flying on private property thatís gated. Can be closed off to non members.

Personally, I canít see any issues at our club. There are so few active members we seldom fly at the same time at the best of times. Itís really easy to keep the distance if required.

If we had 20, 30 or more members trying to use the field at the same time I can see a huge issue there.

Thatís why every case will be different. Right now we still have 6í of snow on the field anyhow lol.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #34
AJCoholic
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morison View Post
You can tell people are cooped up indoors these days...

'Strongly urge' is very much not a mandated or required... The ZD is just recommending a safe course of action.
Try being cooped up with two young kids lol (unless you are too!) Iím trying hard to be patient and understanding
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #35
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 20

I don't believe our field, for example, should be closed. Up to the individual whether to attend or not. Just remember that we touch tables and other items and even help each other. The virus lives on surfaces for hours, so its not as simple as social distancing.
There is a danger of being infected however low but let the individual decide. Besides if we closed our field I will not be patrolling/ enforcing!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #36
excelsiuss
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Peter M
Radio of choice:
JR12X
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 6

Letter from ZD(L) just came in.

Dear Zone Member

I think that it is time that we gave some thought to the fact that our flying activities at the present might cause some harm to our friends and associates if we insist on flying without considering the importance of reducing our exposure to them.

I have had several phone calls from some club presidents asking me what my advice would be on instituting some policies for flying on club fields during these troubling times.

I think you would be wisest just not to fly until the period of voluntary isolation is over. Also, there is a chance that law enforcement agencies will be empowered to restrict such activities, and nothing good ever comes of that!

Some flying fields, like in the town of Burlington, have already been gated by the authorities, and so no activity is possible there no matter what.

Maybe it is time to dig out the R/C flight simulator, or the E-Flite helicopter for a quick hop in the living room.

The indoor people could build a couple of mini-sticks, and hold a postal meet for the best time obtained in the living room when the better-half isn't looking!

So, now is the time for some leadership, and maturity. This situation isn't going to last forever, and I would rather fly in a safe, responsible way, rather than become infected, or worse, infect someone else.

As for the club dues we pay, I think we can afford to donate some of that to the survival of our clubs even if we don't get a full season of flying for whatever reason.

Yours respectfully,

Chris Brownhill, SE Zone Director
excelsiuss is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #37
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I agree with closing the indoor, but I don't understand why it's necessary to close the outdoor if they are attended by few people if any.

I'm sure it will become a hazard if it's a crowd, but at my flying field especially on weekdays there's rarely two or more persons at any given time. There's enough space at our field to have two people stand at opposite ends of the field and fly and have at least a 30 yards between them. So why close the field?

As the lockdown progresses and more and more people become stir-crazy, what is the harm if one person goes to the field and flies by themselves?
Who is responsible to make sure the surfaces are sanitized at your field?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #38
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsiuss View Post
Im sorry. But you would be the one person I would not want to see at the field.

Keep in mind folks that Covid attacks the elderly. 75% of our pilots are elderly.
Would YOU be willing to say "its business as usual, everyone keep flying" How would you feel when multiple members of your club come down with Covid. How often do you hold someone else's transmitter or grab the tail of their plane to wheel it on/off the field. How close are people huddled together under a sun shelter. Does your field have a lock? How many people will handle that lock throughout the day. Covid can live up to 72hrs on metal.

Stop thinking about yourselfs! and think about those you may infect or be infected by.

Just things to consider.
Absolutely.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #39
NDW
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Nelson D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 4

I’d like to think we are grown and mature enough to maintain a decent physical distance. Just be careful don’t share equipment. Being a front line health care worker it would be nice to have a flight or 2 while we can still move around the area and not forced by law to confine to house. Flying keeps me sane.

D.
NDW is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #40
jtsmash
RCC Contributor

I am: Jason T.
Radio of choice:
DX9 /Tactic ttx650
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Who is responsible to make sure the surfaces are sanitized at your field?
Everyone Bring there own disinfectant wipes and be responsible for themselves wouldn't they? Why does someone else have to be responsible?
Being adults and all..
IMAC 8158
jtsmash is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in