Amazon trainer type --Festnight DW Hobby T2501 comments and reviews - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 11-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

I am: Bru D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Amazon trainer type --Festnight DW Hobby T2501 comments and reviews

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Been looking around for a good advanced trainer type to ease back into flying after sever years of hiatus. Of course, with COVID, the hobby shops have pretty well been cleaned out and prices for resale used airplanes is definitely a seller's market.

I checked on Amazon, DHGate and Hobby King to see what's available in a balsa airplane, and found the same design and manufacturer on their websites for aboutthe same price.

Festnight DW Hobby T2501 EP Cloud Dancer Training Plane Balsa Wood 1.3m Wingspan Biplane RC Airplane Toy KIT Aircraft for DIY
Amazon websigte: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...V818RSLD&psc=1

Doesn't look to bad a design, though it's a flat-bottomed airfoil and a 51 inch wingspan rather that the 56 inches of most of the trainers that I've built and used over the last 40-plus years.

Just haven't seen anything on the websites on reviews, and am wondering if anyone else has tried this and what their experiences are.
DarthAnal is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 19
Re: Amazon trainer type --Festnight DW Hobby T2501 comments and reviews

Your link didn't work so I used the description you offered & found it. This is that link.

https://www.amazon.ca/Training-Wings...5968514&sr=8-1

Based on the info it provides it doesn't have much power & may not fly well in any form of wind. Power & size seem similar to my Alpha 450 which I bought used several years ago BUT after flying it decided to swap motors which to me made a big difference in it's flying especially when you need to speed up to regain control. What about building something from a plan? Lots of options there.

Edited to add that I had been out of the hobby for about 35 years. I got a sim and used it to re learn some of it while also building a glider kit I had still on the shelf after all those years, & built a power pod for it to be E powered. I also bought the original Apprentice ARF set. I found myself flying the glider more at first but once I got used to using the sticks gently vs jamming them to full travel the Apprentice saw a lot of air time. Neither got wrecked & I still have both in flying condition. (the Apprentice did have a Stab failure that put it in a tree but that seems like a common failure along with rudder / fin failures when used a lot).
Again as time passed & I was re learning I also built a trainer I had used way back in the 70's which is a relatively easy build & went E power too but it was originally designed for a .15 Glow engine.

Last edited by cicopo; 11-21-2020 at 09:48 AM.
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

This is an easy build but I added ailerons to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10155813_857229717625468_832902961962289309_n.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	1700907   Click image for larger version

Name:	1010221_857229857625454_6770058304435798353_n.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1700909  

Old 11-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Have ordered the Amazon kit but will upgrade it to the 2212/6 motor that they use on the Kyosho Formosa design that is used for racing, so it will be a bit better powered and using a 9x6 prop.

Currently looking at picking up a SIG Clipped WIng Cub kit or modifying the Unionville Club Cricket design to thin down the height of the fuselage as my primary trainer-type. Do have a 3D trainer that I picked up at the last Aurora / Sqdn 905 swapmeet that might work out with some tweaking.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicopo View Post
This is an easy build but I added ailerons to it.
I built the VM1W, shortly after R/CMagazine published the design in 1972 and it was my third successful flying r/c model, after an Ace R/C .049 powered 2T (using Ace R/C's moulded foam wing panels) and the RCM Basic Trainer, a 1968 design by Herm Stroup, .19-.40 tricycle three channel tricycle gear model with an option for a semi-symmetrical airfoil and ailerons.

(small footnote: Stroup's model was featured in at least one version of the RCM Training Course manual and sure looks the basis for the RCM/Bridi Advanced Trainer. Bridi's smaller RCM Basic Trainer, with the round cowl and conventional landing gear, overtime took on the initial title of Stroup's model, which can now be found on Outerzone as "RCM Trainer" : https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6537)

The VM1W is rugged, overbuilt by today's standards. Simple to build.
The V shaped dihedral rib/brace was a pain to form.
The anchoring of the individual music wire landing gear legs in hardwood blocks glued to the plywood fuselage former at the wing leading edge is most durable anchoring of landing gear I've encountered.

Here's a link to the free plans and construction article:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7804

Last edited by michaely; 11-22-2020 at 10:25 AM.
michaely is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAnal View Post

Have ordered the Amazon kit but will upgrade it to the 2212/6 motor that they use on the Kyosho Formosa design that is used for racing, so it will be a bit better powered and using a 9x6 prop.

Please consider doing a build thread, complete with pictures. I think it would be a service to the model building community.

DW Hobby (Dancing Wings Hobby, out of Hubei, Wuhan, China) has been around for at least five years (and I think suspect their 1400mm span Tiger Moth, now in a version 2 mode, had an earlier incarnation that was the subject of a long/problematic build thread on rcgroups: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Moth-Balsa-kit), has had little commentary/scrutiny in the North American rc forums.

Last edited by michaely; 11-22-2020 at 11:05 AM.
michaely is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #7
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Michael I built the VM1W back then too & powered it with an Enya 19 that came from an RC car I had. My instructor did the test flight & really tested it hard. So hard the wing folded after a very steep dive at full throttle & then hard up elevator demand. I still have the rebuilt wing which featured a single servo / bellcrank system for the ailerons. The stab & tail are on the new electric version I built a few years ago after finding my stash of old RCM magazines.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thanks, MIchael and Larry.

A build thread is a great idea, but the first thing to do is doing a massive cleanup of the basement workshop to tidy up things, plus re-organize things as we just bought a beef/chicken/pork order that uses a 44-inch freezer to take that as well as 25 pounds of "free" bacon.

Definitely a meatitarian.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well it sounds like you won't starve as long as your stove & BBQ are working. Sounds like a well stocked freezer for this winter. I also like the Build thread idea.

Tags
trainer , amazon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in