Indoor version of the vintage ACRO Special - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #11
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 8
Re: Indoor version of the vintage ACRO Special

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Turtle deck bonded in place and sanded. Turned out quite nice.

Decided to make a vacuum form mould / plug, for the access hatch and canopy. It's a single item since there will be no actual cockpit interior. The canopy section will be simply painted. If the model flies exceptionally, then perhaps I'll make a clear canopy from the same mould and insert it from underneath.

The mould is made from pine, sanded to shape. The canopy section was shaped using the Dura Grit Mushroom Shaping Wheel, with the 60 grit version, took just a few minutes to rough it out.

I used automotive body filler to attach the canopy section to the forward deck and also used it to blend in the gaps. Bonds is my best friend for doing this as it adheres very well to wood and sands ver smooth blending in the gaps.

Once I fine sanded it to 150 grit finish, I apply a generous coating of polyester resin. This gets sanded also with 150 grit sand paper. If you do not put a coating on the wood to seal the surface, then the hot plastic will really grab hold of the mould. Seperating them after moulding can be quite difficult. Also, for opaque plastic, it is sufficiently smooth. But, for clear canopies, you should go up to 320 grit wet sand paper.

Well, that's it until May, my wife and I are packing the suitcases for our trip to California. Have a great April guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7691.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	1624985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7692.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	704.3 KB
ID:	1624987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7695.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	1624989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7696.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	700.1 KB
ID:	1624991  

Name:	IMG_7697.JPG
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1624993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3505.JPG
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	1624995  
Dutkoski is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
DarthAnal
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bru D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1

Glad to hear that you and your wife are taking some quality time in a warm climate. Enjoy your trip!
DarthAnal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Going to finish this project up now. The master plug had been shaped and two coats of polyester resin applied. Then sanded down to a 220 grit finish. I then attached stand off edging that had a slight positive angle to the bottom edges and both the front and back. These are needed so the hot plastic will get drawn down past the bottom and ends of the master plug and a crisp edge will be formed.

After trimming, the hollow and light hatch section was test fitted and the results were satisfactory.

The balsa interior structure will get cut and fitted, then with the structure secured to the fuselage, the formed plastic will get bonded to the framework.

I could also vacuform a clear canopy from the same master plug and cut away the white styrene. The canopy would then be inserted from the inside and bonded in place, but then I would need to make a cockpit and pilot, all creating weight, so I think I'll just leave it with a painted canopy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7905.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	541.4 KB
ID:	1633501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7902.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	1633503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7906.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	632.1 KB
ID:	1633505  

Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #14
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

In preparing for adding the 3/4 oz cloth, I coated the wings and fuselage last night with a skim of my favourite filler material ....... general purpose drywall compound. Being only slightly heavier that balsa filler for the amount that is left after sanding, it works great. Adheres to balsa and foam and sands really easily.

So, this morning I sanded both the wing and the fuselage using 180 grit sand paper glued to a foam sanding block.

Very satisfied with the results. The main access hatch was framed up and fits pretty nice. Put it on the scale, all of .9 oz. very light, yet strong and ridged. It's just over 12" long and 1.5" wide.

Today's task, fitting in the retracts and main gear. Making the wing hold down and the main hatch hold downs. I think the hatch will be secured with a dowel at the front and a couple of small magnets at the back, keeping it simple.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7908.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	482.2 KB
ID:	1633537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7909.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	716.1 KB
ID:	1633539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7910.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	574.2 KB
ID:	1633541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7911.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	559.0 KB
ID:	1633543  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in