stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 35
Re: Balsa Rite

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
F&M could be a supplier name. Polytak can be bought from Aircraft Spruce but not sure of the quantity available.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #12
lazyace
RCC Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
What is F&M and where? What do you thin it with? The full picture is always better. Aircraft Spruce in Brampton has it.

Parent Company
http://www.stits.com/

They have a division for RC Scale
http://www.stits.com/store/paints-pr...d-fillers.html

I thin mine with MEK or methyl ethyl ketone. This is what was in balsa rite that got it banned for general public use. Because the Poly products are used for full size aviation and are recognized as a restoration process it is even allowed in California where methyl ethyl ketone is banned outright.

Be very aware like the Balsa Rite you must take proper ventilation warnings seriously.

I buy the full size supplies except for the covering which is a lighter version for RC. The full size is the same product and you must thin it to spray where the model supplies are pre-thinned ready to spray and more expensive per area of coverage.
lazyace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
Modelaircrafter
RCC Noob

I am: AndyW

Total Props: 0

Well, the bad news is that Sig cancelled my order as they will not ship to Canada.

So, with the help here, I found Poly Tak but got the same results. But they DID inform that Aircraft Spruce buy it from them and I have some on the way.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/canada.php
It's 18 dollars US for a pint, do the math, I didn't even ask the price.

Caveat is that they have to ship by Purolator. No matter, I want, I need, will last a long time considering the small aircraft I concentrate on.

Thanks bunches guys. :*)
Modelaircrafter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
lazyace
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelaircrafter View Post
Well, the bad news is that Sig cancelled my order as they will not ship to Canada.

So, with the help here, I found Poly Tak but got the same results. But they DID inform that Aircraft Spruce buy it from them and I have some on the way.

Caveat is that they have to ship by Purolator. No matter, I want, I need, will last a long time considering the small aircraft I concentrate on.

For very lightweight applications I would thin it quite a bit (like water) brush a coat on the edges of the air frame then if the covering is porous lay it over weighted with close pins and brush another thin coat through the fabric/cloth/silkspan etc. When dry cut and sand edges. I found this preferable to using heat to iron and seal the lightweight covering to the structure.

Dennis
Old 06-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #15
Modelaircrafter
RCC Noob

That's a good tip for when using Japanese tissue. But this time it's for Litespan, not porous enough.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
lazyace
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
hitec

Quote:
That's a good tip for when using Japanese tissue. But this time it's for Litespan, not porous enough.
I would build a sample panel and try different levels of thinner/poly tak mix until I found the one the worked as an iron on. When building lite its worth it to experiment to find the lightest combo that works.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #17
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8

Quote:

$26.50 Canadian on the Canadian Aircraft Spruce website.

...… and when I checked the website just now, for the first time I saw this - Fab-Tac Fabric Cement, packaged under Aircraft Spruce's own label. $19.50 Canadian for a pint.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalo...ges/fabtac.php

The Q&A on the Fab-Tab is intriquing…. good for model use, can be added to dope to improve adhesion, thins with acetone or MEK

Compare with the Q&A on Poly-Tak that says in part "thinned with MEK per the How To Manual. There is no info regarding the use of Acetone with this material."
(but go ahead and try acetone if that what you have on hand ? - my thought - smiley)

I'm fine with and use solvent based adhesives/coatings but increasingly people in the hobby are experimenting with off the shelf/non rc hobby specific, water based stuff, largely because the solvent stuff is increasingly hard to get and therefore pricier.
Mod Pogue, a crafts coating, sold at Michaels, Wal-Mart, etc. has been mentioned several times on rcgroups, stunthanger forums as a heat activated adhesive---- and Mod Pogue itself, supposedly, can be replicated by thinning any white pva glue by a third with water and adding, if you want a harder/gloss surface, a couple of tablespoons of water based varnish per cup.
Steps need to be taken with water based cements to prevent thin balsa sheeting from swelling from the water base: cheap hairspray (lacquer) has been used a barrier; I've applied several smudge coats of quick drying, water based varnish, with a "barely damp" brush, so the balsa is sealed and can accept a "wet" coat of a water based cement.

AndyW, you might want to ask the moderators to shift this thread to the "construction ideas, hints, and tips" category where others in the future can find it more readily..... and let us know how the Poly-Tak worked out.

Last edited by michaely; 06-11-2019 at 05:40 PM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #18
Modelaircrafter
RCC Noob

Well, the Poly Tak came in yesterday and today, I used it thinned about 30% with acetone. Worked great. Next time, I'll thin it out 50% and use two coats. But with what I did, it worked out fine.

As far as fumes, see the image for my toxic work station, where I do all my soldering and doping and painting. Not spraying though.

It's the top of my stove with the exhaust fan running on high. Tests show that smoke, a foot away gets drawn in strongly. And when I applied the Ploy Tak, under the fan, no vapours could be detected.

As I've been on my own for the last few years, the basement shop has been moved to the ground floor, living room, dining room AND kitchen, And I have aircraft in different stages draped over everything.

PLUS, I have a desktop PC with a 59" plasma TV as my monitor. When I work on stuff, I put on a good documentary and listen to it with the TV/monitor off.

That plasma gets really hot. Not bad in the winter, it contributes to heating the house. But in summer,,,, well, what the heck, we rarely have days over 75F anyway.

And when it's REALLY hot, I'm at the beach.

Life is grand and just got better finding the Poly Tak.

The stuff cost me 70 bucks Canadian, delivered, (ouch) but the stuff from Sig would have been 60 dollar$ anyway.

In any case, a pint will last me a long time.

About moving the thread, I don't know how to do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1633791  
Old 06-14-2019, 03:31 AM   #19
lazyace
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
hitec

Just be careful of sparks your exhaust fan may not be ignition proof and the fumes are highly flammable.

Dennis
Old 06-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #20
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8

Quote:

The stuff cost me 70 bucks Canadian, delivered, (ouch) but the stuff from Sig would have been 60 dollar$ anyway.

In any case, a pint will last me a long time.

About moving the thread, I don't know how to do that.
Andy,

Pricey..... sounds like shipping was almost 2/3rd the cost... and given that acetone worked as solvent, I more strongly suspect that Aircraft Spruce's "house brand" Fab-Tak is the equivalent.

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

As for moving the thread to "construction tips, hints, etc" category, just send a private message to one of the volunteer moderators, who are listed at the bottom right of the screen.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in