★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 14
Converting EDF to turbines

Hi Everyone

This new thread is all about converting the latest generation foam EDF jets to turbine. As larger jets and turbines become increasingly complex and expensive, there has been huge interest in developing models that one person could easily transport and not require a second mortgage to build. Companies like Freewing, FMS, Avios, Sebart are investing heavily in 90mm ( ducted fan size ) size models that lend themselves to successful turbine conversions.

Kingtech, Lambert and Xicoy are the current major players in the manufacturing of small 5-10 lb thrust turbines. Typically, these engines use 3 oz or less of fuel / minute. A 24 oz tank will provide a comfortable 7-8 minutes of mixed throttle enjoyment.

Aircraft such as the Freewing Avanti, Avios Mig 17 have shown to be very capable of flying off of short ( ie 500 ft ) grass runways providing opportunities for modelers not fortunate to have long paved runways.

So, lets start seeing some of your projects, share your experiences and enjoy this rapidly growing segment of turbine modeling.

Dean W.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 128
Re: Converting EDF to turbines

While not an EDF conversion, and it will probably be a few years before I actually get to it, I did acquire two old House of Balsa F-86 Sabre's that were originally designed for a 3.5cc glow engine. I've read several build threads where people converted them to EDF with a flying weight of 7lbs and 5-5.5lbs of thrust with great success. I think with the Lambert T20 or T25, I can come in under (or at least match) that 7lbs and match the thrust making for a cool little jet that can fit in the car one piece as it's only a 42" wing span. LOTS of room in the body for equipment as it's almost 5" diameter at the wing saddle.

Last edited by HAL9KPCM; 10-05-2019 at 01:04 PM.
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jetti

Over the years I built several F86. 2 BVM, was given a Yellow Aircraft prototype and Jet Hangar. I like the F86. The Jet Hangar ( 50 inch ) was a decent flyer with a RAM 500. It was heavy at 13 lbs. With a small Lambert I see no reason why the 7 lb HOB would not be a good candidate.

dw
Old 10-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
JETcro
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Neven G
Radio of choice:
Frsky
# of RCs: 2m

Total Props: 5
There's few jets in my hangar that I wouldn't mind to convert in to turbine like freewing yak 130 witch is too heavy for 6-8s setup and bearly getting 3min flights or hsd F16
Definitely something to think about😕
JETcro is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

Other than the realism of a Turbine, the biggest benefit I can see to this is the flight time. EDF set-ups have really advanced in so many ways but they still lack flying time. 3 min is just not enough....

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

This is what Dean told me he’s putting in his conversions. Amazing specs

https://www.jetsmuntusa.com/products/xicoy-x45

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
Efliteman785
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Owen R
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 1
I agree I own the mig 17 by hobbyking its setup on 6s is not enough flight time I'm think 8s or turbine configuration same with my l39 only thing is it will fly way faster yet your flight envelope gets smaller as speed and size dont combine the mig 17 is perfect for that but it depends cause I hear stories where flight time is nearly the same edf or turbine in the model because the l39 is very light and the mig well it's big enough but the fuselage is limited will have to make some major body changes in order to run it with a turbine sounds like fun watch my channel on YouTube farmermanRoes I have one vid of the mig 17 maiden but the landing I slowed down before landing but it bounced as the gear isnt that big its smaller then the freewing l39
Efliteman785 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:38 PM   #8
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jetti

I have put a Kingtech 60 in the HSD F16. It flys well but it is a bit heavy for the small airframe. The EDF version flys better overall IMO. There comes a point when weight exceeds the abilities of airframe / gear. There are successful combinations that I hope will be posted here. As for recent airframes... the Avios Mig 17 has seen good success with the KT 30 / X45. That is one project I will be starting soon. It will be fitted with a 24 oz tank that will give a good 7 minutes of flying. 30N of thrust will make it perform like a really strong 8S. The boys in California have had excellent success with the Freewing 80mm L39 and 90mm F22. I have an F22 that I will try converting over as well. The question is a straight pipe or asymmetric ? I have some contacts in Europe who have done both. There is also the Freewing 80 mm Avanti. It has been successfully converted to a P20, KT 30 and X45. Just something to think about for now....

Efliteman785...I am not sure what hobbyking mig you have but the one most are talking about is the Avios Mig 17 which is 90mm. The Freewing L39 is 80mm. I have both and the Mig 17 is definitely bigger. Both fly awesome though in edf form...
Old 10-07-2019, 05:36 AM   #9
flyloose
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Eric R
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-24
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 3

What is an asymmetric pipe?
flyloose is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:22 AM   #10
JETcro
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Neven G
Radio of choice:
Frsky
# of RCs: 2m

Total Props: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyloose View Post
What is an asymmetric pipe?
Curved or not straight
JETcro is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in