RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 06-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
bugsmasher
RCC Contributor

I am: P P

Total Props: 2
26cc Gas Engine Problem

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Can someone tell me what is wrong here? On the left is a CRRC 26 I flew a times. The carb mounts on the spacer diagonally making the throttle arm move properly in the horizontal. The engine on the right is a Turnigy (FTL) 26cc. On it the carb mounts in the horizontal making the throttle arm move in the diagonal. Why would the it be designed so that the throttle arm moves in the diagonal? How do I get around this? Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	537.9 KB
ID:	1679533  
bugsmasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
allan980
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Allan A
Radio of choice:
futaba 9cap
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
Re: 26cc Gas Engine Problem

I have the same engine and made a arm out of aluminium that I bolted on to the throttle arm with 2-56 screws.Then twist the end to horizontal and used a ball link connector I wish I could send a picture but don't have a camera
Hope this helps
allan980 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
bugsmasher
RCC Contributor

I think I'm just going to try a flexible rod to a ball link. I just wonder what they were thinking when they designed the carb spacer to orient the carb that way.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
DO335
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 3

They certainly were not thinking of model airplane drivers.

You will find that with most of these industrial origin piston port gasoline engines - Quadra and Zenoah from the very start are perfect examples - that the throttle linkage lined up perfectly with the carb for their intended usages, as in chain saws, weed whackers and so forth. Some did not.

In most cases, the solution for modelers was to bolt a 90 degree bellcrank onto the engine mount or crankcase and connect a linkage from that to the carb.

In the case of Zenoah, the carb insulator block was changed so that for the modelers, the linkage became a straight shot from the servo without the bellcrank.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
bugsmasher
RCC Contributor

That's it exactly. The carb spacer (insulator block) is what makes the carb orientation wrong. This is supposed to be a model engine though, not a weed eater engine. I looked to see if I could find a 3D file to print one that would orient it right but I didn't come across one. Maybe that's a money making opportunity. Anyway, the plane I'm putting it in already has a flexible cable. That should do it for 45 degrees.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #6
Tim J
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Tim J
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZH & T10CHG
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 1

Vogalsang, make a 90 degree intake for the Zenoah engines, sets the arm inline with the firewall, no bellcrank or flex cable needed.

Too many to list.
Build fly crash, repeat!!
Tim J is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in