Simple Foamboard and Printed 50mm EDF - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #21
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

I am: Bru D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Re: Simple Foamboard and Printed 50mm EDF

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Been spending part of this evening flipping between yuour and John's designs when I had an epiphany (or a senior moment, considering my age). What you've been using is not depron or foam sheets (like John's extruded polystyrene) but rather is your equivalent of Dollar Tree foam which is paper covered depron.

That's what you get for skimming rather than reading for content.

Started taking a hard look the thread and comparing your diagram of the parts and overall layout and matching it up against your construction pictures. NOw have this as a mind-worm that I'm going to work on and probably study up on how to cut DT foam a la Flite Test.

Looks like I have yet another building project to work on this year.

Do have one general question right now for you to think about: do you mind printing off a set of the inlets and thrust tube, and how much would you be charging for it?
DarthAnal is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #22
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 4

Hello Bruce,

Would be glad to print a set of "tubes" for you - Cover the shipping and I will get a set you way. Might be a while before I get them printer as I have a cue on the printer right now.

Will let you know - what color do you prefer?

Chris
Cat 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #23
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 1 View Post
Hello Bruce,

Would be glad to print a set of "tubes" for you - Cover the shipping and I will get a set you way. Might be a while before I get them printer as I have a cue on the printer right now.

Will let you know - what color do you prefer?

Chris
Sounds great for me Chris. I'll go for standard black. I'll send my address via e-mail so you can calculate the postage as well as the cost of all the printed bits and pieces, and I'll send you a bank transfer for everything.

Do have three question on cutting the wing:
1) width of the slots for the airfoil curve or just knife cuts?
2) width of the spar and is it vertical to the sheet or horizontal -- can't quite make out the picture but the orientation looks like this: [===] with the weight on top
3) Does is there a standard wide cut where the flat section meets the airfoil so that the flat wraps around the leading edge or is it the other way around?

Yes, this little speed demon looks to be an easy build, once I figure out how to make the slot-cuts. Fortunately, I have a dozen-plus sheets of Dollar Tree Adam foam, so whoopsies will not be a big impact.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #24
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Okay, starting to get into the serious planning now..... I've pulled the image of the drawing off and have cropped them into the two key sheets that need to go to the printers who can handle 20-inch widths of paper (probably still not open in the traditional sense at the moment), which also means that I'm going to have to be careful and redraw them at full size to get rid of the jittering from the enlargement). May even have a copy of the wing setup done by the end of the weekend.

Looking forward, where is the CofG? Nothing that I've seen indicates where it is located, though I suspect that it's somewhere near where the spar goes.

Anyway, everyone have a fun and restful weekend, and enjoy your upcoming First or Fourth, depending on where you are living.

Stay healthy, stay safe, stay sane and build a model.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #25
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO

Bruce,

1) width of the slots for the airfoil curve or just knife cuts?

- Just knife cuts but I do run a ball point pen or other pointed object through the cut to push them open a but to make the bend easier

2) width of the spar and is it vertical to the sheet or horizontal -- can't quite make out the picture but the orientation looks like this: [===] with the weight on top

- the laminations of the foam are horizontal with the balsa vertical - I see the size of the spar is not on the plans - I will measure and post

3) Does is there a standard wide cut where the flat section meets the airfoil so that the flat wraps around the leading edge or is it the other way around?

- the leading edge Gets a double 45 deg bevel cut (each side beveled 45) be careful not to nick the opposite paper as its important to maintain the shape.

Okay, starting to get into the serious planning now..... I've pulled the image of the drawing off and have cropped them into the two key sheets that need to go to the printers who can handle 20-inch widths of paper (probably still not open in the traditional sense at the moment), which also means that I'm going to have to be careful and redraw them at full size to get rid of the jittering from the enlargement). May even have a copy of the wing setup done by the end of the weekend.

- would it help you out if I posted or sent you a DXF or other cad file ?

Looking forward, where is the CofG? Nothing that I've seen indicates where it is located, though I suspect that it's somewhere near where the spar goes.

-Will measure on the bird - it did move ahead a bit of my calculated point - will let you know.

Take care and enjoy your weekend...
Old 06-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #26
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I've take your drawings to a (not my favourite choice bugt they are open) and am getting the parts printed off, but if you could convert the DXF to a PDF file, could you e-mail me the file?

Thanks for the additional information.

Definitely got moved up to the front of the list when I realized how few parts went into it.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #27
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Sorry, extraneous and superfluous content. Enalrgements from office supply house are way off of estimated enlargement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Action 50 wing half size.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1679499  

Last edited by DarthAnal; 06-28-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Superflous information....
Old 06-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #28
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO

I don't have a great way of making PDF's but think this might work... Tiled set and full set ..

if it works I will add more detail to them.. but they will work for parts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC50 fuse.pdf (75.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf AC50 tile wing.pdf (20.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf action 50 1.pdf (10.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf action 50 2.pdf (6.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #29
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thanks, Chris.

I'm printing off the tiled copies to see if everything is right. I did look at the all-in PDF files and saw that the paper size defined for each set is much larger than the nine sheets that make up the tiled version.

If I need to print off the larger files, I'll talk to the people at Digital Copy Center to see if they can override the defined paper size and get the image to come out at the right size.

Don't worry about it right now.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #30
DarthAnal
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

The tiled files go together quite well but you do need some care to make sure that each is aligned with the previous set as it gets assembled. I then took the completed sheets to my local copyshop (Digital Copy Center in Aurora) and got him to make three sets of the drawings.

I've dug around for how to get from the drawing to the cut Dollar Tree Foam Board, and have a question: How did you transfer from your original CAD drawings to the DTFB?

I'm thinking that I have to cut out the individual paper sections, then tracing the outline and line markers from the paper unto the DTFB, and then cutting out the actual DTFB section. (Reference in YouTube is "Flitetest Building for Noobs".)

Which loops back once again to asking how you do this. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in