Upcoming Zone E election - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky Horusist
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 23
Upcoming Zone E election

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I can now bring to light my intentions..

I have just submitted my form for nomination. to run for election in Zone E

I would encourage anyone in this zone to down load the proxie form at.

https://www.maac.ca/en/documents.php

and fill it in and email it to me.. or download the multi and bring it to the zone meeting this fall when the date is announced.. In the event that the meeting is not held at a location due to Covid then there should be an online virual meeting in its place..

[email protected]
The Cat is Back !

The two stupidest answers in the world are !!

JUST BECAUSE and
THAT IS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT.
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
DX8

Total Props: 10
Re: MAAC now closing club fields

Good luck Jeff. Sounds like a change is needed.

Daren
Old 06-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
18MZ T8J DX5R DX8

Total Props: 21

Opinion to anyone running for anything

If the only intention shown is to be hungry for power in my zone that's definately a vote against anyone.
One first needs to announce their intentions and back them up with proven actions and positive outcomes. All of those actions in the personal track record, maybe prove how active a builder and pilot wouldnt hurt either. Then maybe ask for votes during the debate into accuracies and reap the benefits of support. So far as proxy votes now that's an unrealistic early commitment to ask of the membership.
If it just so happens that someone running is one of those never flies but always puts up a sh show, well I guess we can all stand up and be a man and call an intrusive grouch an intrusive grouch voting elsewhere.

Good luck to zone e, I hope you have several people this excited to have a great outcome.
itizme is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
lazyace
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 18

Many Zones cannot achieve a quorum at their zone meeting without the proxy votes. Many times I have seen a zone meeting controlled by one or two persons with a majority of proxy votes. Its difficult to get someone to run for office when one or two members can show up with a hand full of proxies and control who gets into office. It is important to make your agenda known and to submit your nomination in plenty of time as well as start early and collect as many proxies as you can. Remember the present ZD will be visiting clubs, kissing babies n shaking hands all year. You need to get out there visit clubs let the members get to know you and what you will bring to the table. Its a lot of work and planning but its what you need to do to displace an incumbent. I have witnessed a Zone Director attending an event with prizes and a MAAC flag for the club and right beside these there was a pile of proxy forms. If that club has never had an issue with that ZD or heard of other clubs problems its one hell of an incentive to sign a proxy.

Dennis

Last edited by lazyace; 06-07-2020 at 01:55 PM.
lazyace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #5
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky Horusist
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 23

First let me address Steve..

I understand fully what you say.. and yes your right.. for the time I have been content to stand back and let others run the show.. after all if it is not broke then why try to fix it.. I am a very active participant in club activities and attend the meetings to listen or put in my two cents.. If anyone has ever asked me for help.. no one has ever been turned away .. I have an open door to my shop and all modelers are welcome..

In this case I strongly feel that things are wrong and it now needs to be fixed.

I was approached last week about this by a modeler asking for help.. I didn't turn my back to them..

This is a voluntary thing.. I don't have to do it..

I feel I need to..
The Cat is Back !

The two stupidest answers in the world are !!

JUST BECAUSE and
THAT IS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT.
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
CarlC
RCC Expert Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 9
Re: Zone E election

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky View Post
I can now bring to light my intentions..

I have just submitted my form for nomination. to run for election in Zone E

I would encourage anyone in this zone to down load the proxie form at.

https://www.maac.ca/en/documents.php

and fill it in and email it to me.. or download the multi and bring it to the zone meeting this fall when the date is announced.. In the event that the meeting is not held at a location due to Covid then there should be an online virual meeting in its place..

[email protected]
Hello Jeff,

That sounds very exciting!

Thank you for your promise of such self-sacrifice, because you must know and be prepared to give up most of your flying for pleasure so that you can devote the time required to visit all the clubs in your zone? Ask any current ZD and I'm sure you will learn that flying for pleasure WILL become inexorably part of your past.

Myself, I am very convinced, nay, I know our current middle E zone director has performed his duties in stellar and perfect fashion. However, I want to give you a chance to state your case. So, I present the following as it represents a list of attributes, (a job interview if you will) that I know first-hand our present ZD would pass with flying colours:

Since you have chosen this forum to campaign, can you please answer these questions for those here who are MAAC members?

1. Do you know what it takes to be a MAAC Zone Director, If and when you take up this auspicious position, what is your platform?
2. You comment about fixing problems. What do you perceive as an existing problem and what will you do to fix it? Short term and long term?
3. Can you explain your understanding of what the Transport Canada Exemption means for the benefit of myself and other MAAC members? Are you aware of how fragile that exemption might be if TC observes safety concerns are handled poorly?
4. Do you know everything you need to know about every MAAC Safety Code, in case a hard decision comes up such as being forced to take a critical look at possibly unsafe flying fields even if it will harm your popularity?
5. Can you apply the current Safety codes rational to the Bronte field and rationalize whether you will recommend sanctioning it, long after it has been closed? If yes, how can that be?
6. Please explain in your opinion, what will happen to MAAC and its members should Transport Canada pull the exemption they afford to MAAC members, if it were to become soft on safety criteria?
7. Do you have any Transport Canada licensing to demonstrate your educational skill set in RAPAS flying regulations?
8. Exactly, what can you offer “E” zone besides risking the TC exemption by attempting to re sanction flying sites already found to be dangerous?
9. Really, why do you want to become Zone Director?

Now questions only for you:

1. Are you aware that MAAC Associates have a code of ethics that forbids slanderous or malicious comments and other forms of self-gratification in public forums? Once you become a Zone Director, how will you curb your social media rhetoric?
2. Do you have people skills? I’ve heard (rumour of course) that your current club members will not support your nomination because they are very pleased with their current Zone Director. Will you rejoin the BRCM club if they accept you back? Why did you leave that club in the first place?

Cheers!
Carlc
Old 06-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
JoeT
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Was a Futabaist, Now a Horusist (is that a word)?
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 25

Actually CarlC,

The code of ethics are non existent, it's mostly around conflict of interest. Did you also know there is no document that lists the code of conduct too of the members of MAAC Board.

Yeah, it surprised me too.

BTW.. Linda Patrick was kind enough to send me this document. BTW, there is not one document that shows what is required in terms of safety for any field in the MAAC Repository too, Yes I asked Linda Patrick.

If you have those documents, it would be great to share them.

Have a read...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Code of Ethics-converted.pdf (174.6 KB, 32 views)
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #8
CarlC
RCC Expert Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 9

Joe,

With respect, my query was addressed to jsparky.

But to answer your post, there are multiple points beyond conflicts of interest, contained within the "Code of ethics" you presented, that are at play when using public forums. It is a document of behavior which expects much higher conduct than has been displayed here in this thread for anyone to practice who hopes to be a MAAC associate. IMO(lol) This relates then to my question which I asked jsparky to address.

Carlc

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
lazyace
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Joe,

With respect, my query was addressed to jsparky.

But to answer your post, there are multiple points beyond conflicts of interest, contained within the "Code of ethics" you presented, that are at play when using public forums. It is a document of behavior which expects much higher conduct than has been displayed here in this thread for anyone to practice who hopes to be a MAAC associate. IMO(lol) This relates then to my question which I asked jsparky to address.

Carlc

Cheers!
There are no set qualifications to run for office other than being a member in good standing. Many times a zone director has been elected solely on a vote of popularity. I will say many times that same person has had to learn the ropes as he went. Most times through common sense, input from the other directors and coaching from the executive that same inexperienced ZD has ended up doing a very reasonable job. It is everyone's right as a member to be able to run for office especially if he were to feel the present culture is lacking in some way. It sounds like your a stanch supporter of the incumbent perhaps even a close personal friend who poses questions hoping to discredit or discourage this person from running for office. I am most certain the present ZD didn't have all the answers until he became ZD and had to educate himself on those same questions. I wonder if you have some sort of agenda. I encourage anyone who thinks they have something of value to add to the organization to take a shot at it.

Lately I have heard that certain members holding the Chairmanship of a standing committee have regulated all other members of that committee to an advisory capacity position only. The chairman is the sole person to make policy or changes and can do so without consideration of the advice of the other members of said committee. I find this in conflict of encouraging the membership to participate within MAAC. Sometimes I have heard that a Chairman actually refuses a member who has been nominated via his AZM. So what is he doing picking and choosing only those who support his agenda?

MAAC certainly has been changing these last few years and as I see it not all the changes have been for the better. Maybe its time for a change in that zone and just maybe that is why hes running. The membership will ultimately decide.

Dennis

Last edited by lazyace; 06-14-2020 at 08:47 PM.
lazyace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #10
taurine
RCC Apprentice

I am: David

Total Props: 1
Re: Zone E election

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Hello Jeff,

That sounds very exciting!

Thank you for your promise of such self-sacrifice, because you must know and be prepared to give up most of your flying for pleasure so that you can devote the time required to visit all the clubs in your zone? Ask any current ZD and I'm sure you will learn that flying for pleasure WILL become inexorably part of your past.

Myself, I am very convinced, nay, I know our current middle E zone director has performed his duties in stellar and perfect fashion. However, I want to give you a chance to state your case. So, I present the following as it represents a list of attributes, (a job interview if you will) that I know first-hand our present ZD would pass with flying colours:

Since you have chosen this forum to campaign, can you please answer these questions for those here who are MAAC members?

1. Do you know what it takes to be a MAAC Zone Director, If and when you take up this auspicious position, what is your platform?
2. You comment about fixing problems. What do you perceive as an existing problem and what will you do to fix it? Short term and long term?
3. Can you explain your understanding of what the Transport Canada Exemption means for the benefit of myself and other MAAC members? Are you aware of how fragile that exemption might be if TC observes safety concerns are handled poorly?
4. Do you know everything you need to know about every MAAC Safety Code, in case a hard decision comes up such as being forced to take a critical look at possibly unsafe flying fields even if it will harm your popularity?
5. Can you apply the current Safety codes rational to the Bronte field and rationalize whether you will recommend sanctioning it, long after it has been closed? If yes, how can that be?
6. Please explain in your opinion, what will happen to MAAC and its members should Transport Canada pull the exemption they afford to MAAC members, if it were to become soft on safety criteria?
7. Do you have any Transport Canada licensing to demonstrate your educational skill set in RAPAS flying regulations?
8. Exactly, what can you offer E zone besides risking the TC exemption by attempting to re sanction flying sites already found to be dangerous?
9. Really, why do you want to become Zone Director?

Now questions only for you:

1. Are you aware that MAAC Associates have a code of ethics that forbids slanderous or malicious comments and other forms of self-gratification in public forums? Once you become a Zone Director, how will you curb your social media rhetoric?
2. Do you have people skills? Ive heard (rumour of course) that your current club members will not support your nomination because they are very pleased with their current Zone Director. Will you rejoin the BRCM club if they accept you back? Why did you leave that club in the first place?

Cheers!
Carlc
You make sound like hard job nobody want do it.
Job very hard you only expert in canada for do it
how other zon dir get expert like you
taurine is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in