Converting EDF to turbines - Page 48 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 02-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #471
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 43
Re: Converting EDF to turbines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Thanks

Dave are you putting the X45 in it? did you buy a Hab kit for pipe and mount?

Angus

X45 with a Grumania pipe.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #472
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
Finished my Avanti Mini this weekend, came in at 8.3lbs dry which is the same dry weight as a larger battery EDF set up. Put JP brakes on it and have a 800ml tank should be good for 5-6min.

Angus
Looks good. That poor tank looks tiny compared to the CM Jets tank I have in mine. I think mine is too big actually but came with the airframe so I left it.

I should weigh mine to see where I'm at compared to yours. Pretty similar set up.

Cheers,

Paul

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #473
Angus
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Angus
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

The tank is actually 24oz 700ml, I couldn't bring myself to spending =/- $200 to get one of those nice tanks, I'm into this one for $20. Flights will certainly be shorter but I'm OK with that.

here is the actual finished inside. no lead added, batteries balance it out perfectly.

Am
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti mini.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	909.9 KB
ID:	1716135  

Last edited by Angus; 02-22-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Angus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 PM   #474
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 43

Ya, I was looking at one of the CMJ tanks thinking "ooh cool, 1.2 litre capacity", then I was thinking that's also 2.16lbs of fuel, almost a full pound more on take-off than using a 700ml tank. I'm willing to sacrifice a few minutes of flying time to shed that kind of weight.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:46 PM   #475
Wingnutz
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bill Q
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 2

from Dean’s post #74...re his FW Avanti/X-45 conversion

“The final pic shows the front end all buttoned up. 2- 2200 mah 7.4 volt packs / regulator, receiver, pump, turbine HUB. It needed 3.5 oz of lead in the nose cone to attain CG. I am using a weighted felt pick up in the 800 cc tank and going direct to the pump. No UAT or secondary tank in this build. Dry weight came out to 2500 grams. The EDF version weighs 2650 grams with a 6S 5000mah battery. So a bit heavier on take off with full fuel but about the same weight or less on landing.[/QUOTE]

1. Anybody have an idea why my FW Avanti with X-45, HAB pipe, HAB tank, HAB clunks, 2x GensAce 2200 2S packs...is nearly 200 g heavier than Dean’s? Heavier foil? rx? ...but 200 g?

2. Not sure what most people do with the monitor...in the model?

Thanks for everyone’s patience answering all my questions to date and thanks in advance for any info on the questions above...
Bill

Last edited by Wingnutz; Yesterday at 02:12 AM.
Wingnutz is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #476
Wingnutz
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9

Feeling a sense of accomplishment at getting all the bits in my FW Avanti turbine conversion. Would appreciate any thoughts re my layout from the experienced eyes in the group.(picture below)
Temporarily, I have a pink foam block supporting the fuel shut off valve. Will kero destroy pink foam?
Still puzzled by the Porky Pig weight readings and at a loss to understand why my model is weighing in nearly 200g more than Dean’s almost identical model in post#74...thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C02A1CC2-9DE5-4132-9EA3-A35C347B6916.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	694.3 KB
ID:	1716341  
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #477
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 11

I see you used tygon which is fine but you may want to consider placing a barb on the brass tubes or the very least a safety wire. As for weight, dont sweat it. 7 oz will not be an issue at all with this bird. It could be simply the base weight was heavier to begin with. Your CG may be a bit forward than mine which after a few flights you may find removing some weight helpful. Lastly, my " fish scale ' or yours may be both a little off. At the end of the day the aircraft will fly ever bit as well as mine.
There are all sorts of foam....test a small piece of yours with fuel. OR....just brush on some epoxy on it as a sealer.

dw
Old Today, 10:37 AM   #478
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutz View Post
from Dean’s post #74...re his FW Avanti/X-45 conversion

“The final pic shows the front end all buttoned up. 2- 2200 mah 7.4 volt packs / regulator, receiver, pump, turbine HUB. It needed 3.5 oz of lead in the nose cone to attain CG. I am using a weighted felt pick up in the 800 cc tank and going direct to the pump. No UAT or secondary tank in this build. Dry weight came out to 2500 grams. The EDF version weighs 2650 grams with a 6S 5000mah battery. So a bit heavier on take off with full fuel but about the same weight or less on landing.
1. Anybody have an idea why my FW Avanti with X-45, HAB pipe, HAB tank, HAB clunks, 2x GensAce 2200 2S packs...is nearly 200 g heavier than Dean’s? Heavier foil? rx? ...but 200 g?

Thanks for everyone’s patience answering all my questions to date and thanks in advance for any info on the questions above...
Bill[/QUOTE]

That’s because Dean fills his with magic pixie dust. They don’t call him “the professor” for nothing....

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old Today, 12:55 PM   #479
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 47

S[QUOTE=

Bill[/QUOTE]
If it has the micro SD card in it , it can record the turbine run data in case you have an airborne flameout or whatever . Otherwise unnecessary weight but not much.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #480
Wingnutz
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9

Dean, Paul, Len,
Thanks for the support. Will test the foam, anchor the tygon to the brass tubes, check the monitor for a mini SD port and do a google search for magic pixie dust!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in