chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94
Lack of flying drive

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one that is going, or has gone through, the lack or urge to get out flying. Covid makes it difficult but I'm not sure that's the main issue here.

For the past two/three years I find I have to really force myself to load up some planes and get out to the field to do some flying. I still like the building, assembling, tweaking, etc, etc in the garage or basement, but the flying is where I have seem to have lost some interest in.

Anyone else gone through, or in, this funk?

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87
Re: Lack of flying drive

Last year I had a bad year for flying. Other things like Motorcycling with my Life was becoming more important, as well as jobs around the house. I usually try to fly 10 hours per week and have for years. This year I will get back into my groove with some new style planes to keep myself highly interested again.

Maybe you just need a break for a season to get your interest back. When I used to work 85 hours a week I had no time for nothing, and I missed not having a Hobby other than work. I don't see anything wrong with taking a break, seeing what your interests still are. Lots of people get out of the Hobby for the reasons you mention. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
4stroker
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Derek
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 24

Went through that 2 years ago.
Didn't make it out to the field at all in 2019 just needed a break.
Before 2019 I couldn't wait to get home from work and load up the car and weekends as well and I think I just kinda burn my self out with flying.
Last year I did go out maybe once a week and the odd weekend.
This year I'm really looking forward to the flying season but in moderation.

Last edited by 4stroker; 05-03-2021 at 01:39 PM.
4stroker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87

I've also bought more electric planes for this year just to try some thing different. I charge my batteries the night before and just need a plane or two with my transmitter and go. No field equipment needed. I find on certain days its easier to just fly electric planes, and I still have two hours of flying time. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

We all have our ups-and-downs in this hobby. Sometimes you need a break to do something else for a little bit.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #6
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

I am on about the 21st year. Longest stint on any hobby/sport. It has slowed a bit but still enjoy getting out. I just may change my mind on the Carbon Cub and large Piper Pawnee and go more with smaller and convenient stuff!
4*60 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #7
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
We all have our ups-and-downs in this hobby. Sometimes you need a break to do something else for a little bit.
My break was having two children... lol. Kind of a "forced break".

Personally, I've always had a drive to build and fly, read and learn in this hobby. However, in the past decade and a bit I've lived in Timmins, I had to store all my models at my shop (15 minutes drive from home, in the opposite direction of the shop). I also had no dedicated work space to store and build stuff - other than smaller projects. So, flying was always a bit of a gamble because I had to make plans a few days ahead - hope the weather held, I charged the right stuff up and I would load my truck at work. Often I was too tired to bother, or I'd get busy with the family stuff. We have also camped every weekend for the past 7 or 8 years, and its hard to stay home when the wife and kids are going to the park.

That being said - last fall we bought the house of my dreams - huge garage, heated. More storage I could have ever hoped for. All my gear - finished aircraft, kits, supplies, work tables etc are laid out and I don't have to move anything out of the way. Makes a huge difference as you can work on things as you feel like it. No drive to the shop. No forgetting to bring the chargers to and from work, etc. I also can run and break in engines at home. Test fly stuff like helis in the yard. Makes a huge difference for me - as my kids are still young (6 and 10) they still take priority.

One thing that I have always been doing since I started this hobby - to keep myself more than interested enough - is dabble in almost all aspects. Old timers, small 1/2A stuff, IMAC, general sport flying, profile 3D stuff, helicopters both electric and gas/glow, jets, and even control line and rubber free flight models.

There is always something exciting to work on or learn to do, or set up and get adjusted, etc. Never a dull moment and I have to say that keeps things very interesting - although I tend not to get really good at anything - jumping all over the place.

I find just being able to grab a 1/2A control line model and walk 30 feet out of the garage, set up and fly for an hour, is a motivator. My kids enjoy it. Unlike the field, where I have to pack them up, something to entertain them, drive to the field, get set up and within 15 minutes hear about how they are bored and want to go home...

If you don't enjoy the flying quite as much now - don't push yourself to go, just to go. Do more building and enjoy that. You'll get back to it if you miss it. And there is nothing wrong with that.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
I am on about the 21st year. Longest stint on any hobby/sport. It has slowed a bit but still enjoy getting out. I just may change my mind on the Carbon Cub and large Piper Pawnee and go more with smaller and convenient stuff!
Something to be said about models you can throw in the truck, put together - and just get flying. I love my larger models but I will always have smaller ones. They are just too convenient when you don't feel like lugging a lot of gear around. And the time for loading, unloading, assembly etc.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

It's been a slow year for me. It doesn't help we've had to close the field to members thanks to COVID restrictions in Ontario. I've tried to do some overdue maintenance, and helicopters are keeping me busy buying replacement parts. Hopefully, the restrictions will be lifted for outdoor activities soon.

Daren
Old 05-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #10
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Forgot to say. Builders/non-flyers...send them our way!

We are quite fortunate. We had at least a dozen people flying and or visiting at the field yesterday. 20C and light wind, green runway. Perfect!
4*60 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in